The HD News Thread

Ntropolis

Didn't someone post a date of feb. 20th, well that may be wrong at least according to the news 4 this morning blog it states that MONDAY will be launch day for HD news.

here is the link for it, http://www.beloblog.com/KMOV_Blogs/offtherecord/archives/2008/01/no_you_really_d.html

again this is straight from one of the anchors, so I don't know if it will be monday on news 4 this morning, or what, but according to this we won't have to wait long at all.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

sorry for the repeating post, but I think kjhonson's date of feb 20th isn't right. as stlmedia.net's message board (sorry registration required) is saying that it will be not be feb 20th, but JAN 20th, AKA this up coming sunday.

It's going to be interesting because half the viewers won't be able to watch it in HD because Belo is arguing with Charter about carriage of it digital feed. This is probably an effort to get Charter to cave and pay KMOV for its digital feed. It's pretty exciting since I watch channel 4 more than I watch KSDK anyway. Maybe KSDK will stop talking about them being in HD (probably not).

Maybe KSDK will stop talking about them being in HD (probably not).

i really doubt it. I mean just a few weeks ago they changed that logo at the bottom to really make sure you knew you was watching 5, with HD.

Also I noticed that just this morning when Today in St Louis at 6 opened, they changed it from St Louis' first and Only news in HD to St Louis' first in HD. So I don't expect them to shut up about them being in HD.

i really doubt it. I mean just a few weeks ago they changed that logo at the bottom to really make sure you knew you was watching 5, with HD.

Also I noticed that just this morning when Today in St Louis at 6 opened, they changed it from St Louis' first and Only news in HD to St Louis' first in HD. So I don't expect them to shut up about them being in HD.

Of course not. Just ask their sister station WXIA in Atlanta. When WSB went HD, they immediately changed their branding to "Atlanta's First Newscast in High Definition".

WTVF did it for a brief period when it was rumored that WSMV would be going HD with the launch of their new set and graphics, but that has yet to happen, so they still tout themselves as "Tennessee's First and Only Local News in High Definition".

KGW did go HD today and it appears they changed their logo. They got rid of the "8" logo that they had for many years and now have a logo that says "KGW HD". That is the assumption I got from the videos on their website. I could be wrong as I don't live in Portland and the video just has a kgw.com logo on the bottom right hand corner. They are also using the KING graphics package but they have been using that for a few months now.

I am watching KMOV right now and they are not in HD. No new graphics packages or sets either. Seems like it was a false alarm. They just ran another promo that said KMOV news in HD is about to happen so who knows when that is exactly going to be.

KGW did go HD today and it appears they changed their logo. They got rid of the "8" logo that they had for many years and now have a logo that says "KGW HD". That is the assumption I got from the videos on their website. I could be wrong as I don't live in Portland and the video just has a kgw.com logo on the bottom right hand corner. They are also using the KING graphics package but they have been using that for a few months now.

I am watching KMOV right now and they are not in HD. No new graphics packages or sets either. Seems like it was a false alarm. They just ran another promo that said KMOV news in HD is about to happen so who knows when that is exactly going to be.

I can answer the KMOV question, yes they did NOT go HD HOWEVER there is a good reason for that. Someone who has VERY inside connections to news 4 stated on stlmedia.net that the reason why they did not go HD sunday night was because basically the control room staff would be working on TOTALLY brand new stuff, and they (KMOV and Belo) basically was only giving them 1 day to get all bugs out, and do rehersals. This from a good source form within KMOV says that the new planned launch date will be next weekend or monday at the very latest. Basically everything is in place, it was just getting the control room crews time to make sure that EVERYTHING is perfect.

They changed their name from "Northwest NewsChannel 8" to "KGW NewsChannel 8." The 8 logo is still there.

They changed their name from "Northwest NewsChannel 8" to "KGW NewsChannel 8." The 8 logo is still there.

It was hard for me to tell just by watching the online video. The player wasn't working too well with my computer for some reason. Anyways I'm glad that they kept the 8 logo and just noticed what an impresive set that they have. Hope KMOV gets something similar, although I highly doubt it.

jhampsten,

are they going to get a new set as well?

all that the source said was that there was set work being done. I don't know if it's a whole new set or not but I for one would not be suprised if there is a new set since the current set is a good 5-6 years old I'd say.

According to this, WBZ should be heading to HD later this year. And WHDH has been doing tests for a bit now to get ready for HD. This means that WSBK and WLVI, owned by CBS and Sunbeam, respectively, should also be going HD sometime in the near future. No word on WFXT, though. Fox O&Os are usually the last to go HD anyway though.

KMOV just went live, and their new set looks NICE Also like the cool new graphics on the lower right corner. nice new look for KMOV. I LIKE IT!

I just noticed that something was up on KMOV. No Gray curtains on during 60 minutes. I'll have caps from 10pm by tomorrow morning.

There is some video on kmov.com right now that shows the new set and graphics and I must say, they did a nice job. I have always liked the KING graphics and KMOV adapted them nicely. The set overall doesn't look that bad, not as great as KGW but could be a lot worse. Also, they are no longer using enforcer but instead a new package, but I can't tell what package it is. Does anyone know what music package they are now using?

I do like the set, for the most part, some of it I don't. One of the things that I don't like is that when they do close ups, the background just looks all blue, like they are just floating there... It is a sleek looking set though.

For the graphics, I do like the backgrounds, but the overlays, as in the U3, L3, I don't. And on the new bug, I do like the News 4, but not the HD underneath it.

I do like the music, I have no idea on what it is, I thought maybe it was the new Belo music Propulsion by 615 music. I am not sure if that is it or not, but some sounds from it, sound like it. It also sounds like it has the CBS Enforcer signature in it, to me that is.

Overall, I like the new look......

Oh, and almost forgot, I do have to agree that the "Never Stops" is a little to much!!!!

WCBD in Charleston is very close to adding HD to their newscasts, as their before newscast promos have already changed to the new Media General graphics and the chimes have been added.

Doesn't mean anything... WJAR and WNCN have the new graphics without HD news. WMBB is implementing the new graphics into their newscasts as well.

Archived