EWN New Generation

Oliverolang

I'm willing to bet that WPLG in Miami will be among the next stations to pick up this overrated theme.

I highly doubt it too. Since they are one of the two Miami stations (the other being WFOR) that are using Gari but not using the overused Enforcer & EWN Packs. WTVJ lost all locality after dropping NBC News Now with bits and pieces from other Gari NBC Packs. Local10 has invested on the One & Only since the early 90s and use the updates very well. I'm betting on WXYZ using the EWN NG2 Pack and betting on the 2 other Scripps stations that hasn't used EWN yet (WCPO & WMAR). I wouldn't be as shocked even though KFSN debuted their HD Newscast earlier this year, they might be next to use it.

My other picks for stations that could join the EWN bandwagon is as follows:

• WVII in Bangor, ME
  • WLNE in Providence, RI
  • WTNH in New Haven, CT
  • WKBW in Buffalo, NY - Remember them breaking tradition four years ago?
  • KSTP in the Twin Cities
  • KATV in Little Rock
  • KAKE in Witchita, KS
  • KOMO in Seatte, WA - Not too long ago, they started using Battery but most Fisher stations are using Gari. Prominently most of their CBS Stations are using the Enforcer so Fisher could mandate all their stations to use Gari.
  • KRCR in Redding, CA
  • KXTV in Sacramento, CA - This seems unlikely since they are using a custom package made by Chris. But he could push them to use it and they would end up giving in
  • KEYT in Santa Barbara, CA - Seems unlikely because they've been using Impact forever

• KESQ in Palm Springs, CA

This would be so funny if all of the California ABC Affiliates use the same package, yet this would be unlikely. But the one thing I just can't stand is why is Chris and his crew is pushing all of these stations to use the New Generation Themes. I know damn well they aren't money hungry. Way before the Arnold dubacle, they were still making that money. Now they are money-greedy!!! Right Now, they are about thirty ABC Stations that are using Eyewitness News.

KNXV/Phoenix is the latest station to jump on the NewGen bandwagon.

From what I saw on the ABC15 video, select cuts are classic EWN - the open, the "Live/New Tonight" stingers, and the "Breaking news" stinger. I'll have to check out a complete newscast for more.

But the one thing I just can't stand is why is Chris and his crew is pushing all of these stations to use the New Generation Themes. I know damn well they aren't money hungry. Way before the Arnold dubacle, they were still making that money. Now they are money-greedy!!! Right Now, they are about thirty ABC Stations that are using Eyewitness News.

I don't think GCI is pushing people to use NewGen. Don't forget that it's still a part of the Eyewitness News or ABC O&O package (whatever you call it these days). It could just be that stations think it's the latest and greatest, being that it's the newest part of the package. The number of stations picking up packages like CBS Enforcer or ABC O&O or the NBC Collection is probably nothing more than simple economics. These packages provide a lot of bang for the buck: all of the themes are relatively new and still relevant, and there are a lot of discs. This is not true for something like Hello News or Good News, which have 2 or 3 CDs of music from the 70s and 80s, and only one disc relevant to today's musical style. (KWQC excluded.) More, something like Countdown, Innovation or Empire can't come close to ABC NewGen's 13 CDs (I think that figure is right... for now.)

Lastly, a station doesn't care how prolific the music is outside of it's market. The more stations that use a package, the more likely an update is. Even though (I think) GCI is promising yearly updates now, you can see how well that works out: WBBM commissions NewGen I, then WCBS with NewGen II. All of a sudden, all of the smaller stations using Enforcer get these updates without paying a thing. There's a lot of hidden value there, and within the quantity of themes.

My other picks for stations that could join the EWN bandwagon is as follows:

I object to some of your choices, ever since they got the new graphics and switched to Battery in 2006, KOMO has looked perfect. What I really want them to do now, is go up to Battery V4. And, if WBKW were to change to EWN, they would truly have to do it with new graphics, they've got some of the worst graphics (but overall, Buffalo is a pretty pathetic market), EWN NG wouldn't go good with them at all.

I'm looking at southernmedia-nmsa's web page, and I happen to notice that KLBK, the CBS affiliate in Lubbock, TX is using EWN. Is this real or is it fake?

There are quite a few non-ABC stations that use the EWN package. KTVI-St. Louis used it for a number of years after they were Fox. There used to a youtube (or maybe it was on the TVArk site) of their open with the EWN package.

And, if WBKW were to change to EWN, they would truly have to do it with new graphics, they've got some of the worst graphics (but overall, Buffalo is a pretty pathetic market), EWN NG wouldn't go good with them at all.

OMG I just went on WKBW's website. They're STILL using the old cheapo CineMagic graphics from God-knows how many years ago. Looks like someone beat their poor (7) logo with an ugly stick. Seriously WKBW, if you're going with a boxed (7), at least have the decency to make it look like WJLA's.

OMG I just went on WKBW's website. They're STILL using the old cheapo CineMagic graphics from God-knows how many years ago. Looks like someone beat their poor (7) logo with an ugly stick. Seriously WKBW, if you're going with a boxed (7), at least have the decency to make it look like WJLA's.

You thought WKBW was bad, look at WIVB, the only good thing are their intros (yeah, saw it on vacation, I love the "cursor 4" thing going on there, but still, everything else at News 4 Buffalo stinks as much as what you would find in a toilet)

I don't know if any of you have seen this yet or not, but Gari has put up a sample of Eyewitness News NewGen II using mostly KABC stuff. This new version is not as extreme, yet it's still quite bold. I really like it. It's MUCH better than NewGen I. As far as the sample itself, the rock cuts for ABC11's edgy open were moved into the NewGen II sample but everything else is new to my ears. Could this be the new sound of WABC?

I don't know if any of you have seen this yet or not, but Gari has put up a sample of Eyewitness News NewGen II using mostly KABC stuff. This new version is not as extreme, yet it's still quite bold. I really like it. It's MUCH better than NewGen I. As far as the sample itself, the rock cuts for ABC11's edgy open were moved into the NewGen II sample but everything else is new to my ears. Could this be the new sound of WABC?

It's supposed to be WABC's new sound starting sometime in September. I love these themes! Now the question is: How many stations will switch to Series 7 (New Gen 2)?

And, if WBKW were to change to EWN, they would truly have to do it with new graphics, they've got some of the worst graphics (but overall, Buffalo is a pretty pathetic market), EWN NG wouldn't go good with them at all.

Well, who knows? Maybe when WKBW celebrates 50, they'll not only pick up EWN the package, they'll rebrand back to EWN the name.

[post #100!]

I especially like the first, fourth, and fifth cuts. The second one's okay.

Not counting the ramp, which is totally different, the fifth cut sounds like it has the exact same melody and tempo as the NewGen I main theme. The only differences I can note are key and instrumentation--the set of drums in the "talent" portion of the NewGen II cut is mixed out of that part in NewGen I. So my question is in the theme count, would these two cuts be counted as one theme due to the melodic similarities?

Archived