KCOP News

JTT

The station has been showing KTTV Fox 11 News at 5 weekdays for a while now at the same time with KTTV.  KCOP is also airing news at 11am and 11pm.  They're showing highlights of Good Day LA as well as repeats of West Coast Wrap during middle of the day.

Why are they airing repeats and highlights of old news when they can just continue with the 11am crew throughout the afternoon until 2:30 or 3pm and try to compete with KTLA?

I understand it's probably financial reason for airing reruns of news, but how do they expect to compete with other stations that are airing more current news and actually get an audience that advertisers are willing to pay to reach.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JTT said:

The station has been showing KTTV Fox 11 News at 5 weekdays for a while now at the same time with KTTV.  KCOP is also airing news at 11am and 11pm.  They're showing highlights of Good Day LA as well as repeats of West Coast Wrap during middle of the day.

Why are they airing repeats and highlights of old news when they can just continue with the 11am crew throughout the afternoon until 2:30 or 3pm and try to compete with KTLA?

You answered your own question. There is absolutely no way they can compete with KTLA...at least in mornings/midday.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, JTT said:

But why are they airing reruns of news?  Put current news on the air.

If they're showing highlights of GDLA I'm assuming they're just using the light-hearted segments, which is not a problem. If 13 is a bottom of the barrel station, this works. To others point they're most likely not trying to compete with other stations, just trying to grab the ad revenue.

Edited by MediaZone4K

10 hours ago, JTT said:

But why are they airing reruns of news?  Put current news on the air.

Like @FiveNews said, you answered your own question. Also contributing to it is that this might only be a temporary placement through the election season- Political ads often buy newscasts and Fox might see an opportunity to get a piece of that pie- especially if the republicans see value in throwing money at Steve Garvey (or, if Schiff continues the buying like he did in the Primary).

To @MediaZone4K's point, I'm going to guess that the GDLA rerun is also loaded with a bunch of plugs to get people to download Fox Local to watch the full show on the go.

Now, if KTTV used KCOP news times to exclusively air Chopper Cam of all the car chases, that might draw some legit eyeballs on TV and Fox Local... Hell, that could be it's own Fox Local widget!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If this is not temporary and they want to put more news content on both stations,  why not put current news presentation when kttv is not showing news? For example Fox 11 shows news from 4-11am weekdays, then Kcop should air current news from 11am - 3pm weekdays.  I think they should expand their good day LA with weekend mornings as well on both stations. 

54 minutes ago, JTT said:

If this is not temporary and they want to put more news content on both stations,  why not put current news presentation when kttv is not showing news? For example Fox 11 shows news from 4-11am weekdays, then Kcop should air current news from 11am - 3pm weekdays.  I think they should expand their good day LA with weekend mornings as well on both stations. 

People have explained multiple times why KTTV/KCOP shouldn't and wouldn't do all-day news. They're not looking to compete, they're merely filling airtime, in the current bleak syndication landscape.

• Thanks 4

I wonder if fox is willing to sell kcop to ABC.  ABC could use kcop to add more newscasts, like what they did with kdoc a couple of years ago. 

• 24994J locked this topic