The Future of CBS Daytime

Breaking News

11 hours ago, TexasTVNews said:

I hope it replaces The Talk; I hated that show ever since. I had a vision of what the lineup would look like.

10AM (ET) - LMAD

11AM (ET) - The Price is Right

12PM - Local News

12:30PM - Y&R

1:30PM - B&B

2PM - The Gates

In case you forgotten, CBS pulled the plug on two legendary soaps (GL & AWTW) in '09 and '10. And for game show fans like me,

in case you might remember CBS did a pilot for ($1,000,000) Pyramid in '09, but it was passed up... twice!

Another thought could be CBS & the Bell family expanding B&B to 1 hour, and The Gates be a half-hour soap.  It'll be interesting to see what CBS might be planning.

• Like 2

First there has to be an actual show, before anything is planned. 😉

Keep that skepticism handy until the show is ordered to series for CBS. Things have ways of winding up dead, on another platform or morphed into a very different form. 

It’s amusing however, to see how bent out of shape people get about The Talk. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

58 minutes ago, Abraham J. Simpson said:

It’s amusing however, to see how bent out of shape people get about The Talk. 

I personally don't have a problem with The Talk. It's a fine show, and IMO, it's much better than its competitor The View. I don't see why there's so much hate for it. 

But in terms of CBS possibly launching a new soap opera, it's not a good idea. At least in my opinion. And if they are, they should take a page out of NBC's book and stream it on Paramount+. 

1 hour ago, atlnewsfan03 said:

Another thought could be CBS & the Bell family expanding B&B to 1 hour, and The Gates be a half-hour soap.  It'll be interesting to see what CBS might be planning.

That doesn't sound terrible. Let the affiliates keep their hour or two, axe The Talk and expand B&B to an hour. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 12/15/2023 at 1:23 PM, TVNewsStan said:

That would be the goal for CBS, wouldn’t it? To retain as much of the lead-in as necessary. Stations could have the option of airing the hour right after Price, after their expanded hour newscast, or at 2PM/3PM to compete directly against Daily.

If the networks aren’t making money for these media companies, that’s exactly what will happen. If programs Daily can make money for broadcast to keep them in the black, then it possibly keeps Comcast from selling the network and the news division. Same for Paramount, who is already flirting with AMG ahead of their big sale(Comics Unleashed/Funny You Should Ask)… 

I’m a lifelong soap fan… I certainly get why fans don’t want to give up their shows. But we don’t represent the viewership the networks want… we haven’t for over a decade. And spamming the NBC News Daily thread with negative comments, quoting Jamey Giddens (who spent over a decade enabling showrunners’ bad writing and creative decisions under the guise of journalism at Daytime Confidential) and preaching about executives lacking creativity in programming(which is rich given how YR/Bold/Days aren’t even trying and save for the recent Colleen Zenk stunt at YR, are totally on autopilot) isn’t enough of a sell to save the genre in its current state. There are plenty of forums devoted to serials where you can bash network news.

It says a lot when the most provocative stories on daytime are being told on NBC News Daily instead of a serial… once lauded as *the place* for relevant social commentary and takeaway for its viewers. If networks are done with serials, give me a hard-ish news show over The View, The Talk, or GMA3 any day of the week.

I can see a CBS newscast at 11 AM outside the Eastern time zone, but there are five stations which run Y&R at 11:30: Los Angeles, Chicago, Dallas, Nashville, and Springfield, MO.  Also, KFMB has a local newscast from 11-12:30, delaying Y&R to 1 PM.

In the Eastern time zone, you seem to be suggesting that CBS's newscast air at 1 PM, directly opposite GMA3 and NBC News Daily.  Do you think people will want three news/public affairs shows head-to-head in the middle of the day?  And does Y&R get the boot?  Perhaps those five stations that run Y&R at 11:30 expand their midday news (or, in Nashville, "Talk of the Town") to 11-12, then go along with the East Coast with network news at 12 (CT/PT).

The question then becomes: what happens to the soaps?  It looks to me like B&B is headed for the boneyard sometime in 2025, and the new Black-oriented soap The Gates is still on the drawing boards. Does Y&R go to 2/1?  And a few other complications: there are CBS affiliates (WBTV Charlotte and WANF Atlanta among them) that start their news blocks at 3.  That doesn't bode well as a potential timeslot for a soap; further, I don't see CBS giving up Let's Make A Deal, which seems to work just fine either at 10 AM or 3 PM.  This is a truly complicated situation.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/7/2024 at 11:41 PM, TexasTVNews said:

I hope it replaces The Talk; I hated that show ever since. I had a vision of what the lineup would look like.

10AM (ET) - LMAD

11AM (ET) - The Price is Right

12PM - Local News

12:30PM - Y&R

1:30PM - B&B

2PM - The Gates

In case you forgotten, CBS pulled the plug on two legendary soaps (GL & AWTW) in '09 and '10. And for game show fans like me,

in case you might remember CBS did a pilot for ($1,000,000) Pyramid in '09, but it was passed up... twice!

I could see it more like this (These are based on Eastern Time)

10am - Deal

11am - Price

12pm - Local News

12:30pm - "CBS Afternoons with Natalie Morales" (Because everyone else is doing it...also, this is just a hypothetical)

1:00pm - Y&R

2:00pm - B&B

2:30pm - The Gates (I assume this will have a 30 minute runtime if this goes to fruition.)

That way they squeeze in a new daytime news program - making the noon hour like a daytime version of the 6:00 hour with Local/CBSEN w NOD -and add a new soap.

And Natalie gets moved to a new role with The Talk being eliminated.

Edited by TresGriffin
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, TresGriffin said:

That way they squeeze in a new daytime news program - making the noon hour like a daytime version of the 6:00 hour with Local/CBSEN w NOD -and add a new soap.

And Natalie gets moved to a new role with The Talk being eliminated.

But if they add a show at 12:30, how do you get affiliates to pick it up or not send it to 3am so they keep the full hour? Compulsory carriage is the only way that works.

And even then, I don't see them going to a fully straight newscast because CBS Deals is being pushed heavily and they aren't giving up that revenue source even if everyone else outside compulsive shoppers hates it.

• Like 2

Another thing to consider, specifically in the case of B&B, because I think we tend to think of things only in terms of how it affects us ("us" being those in the United States):

The Bold and the Beautiful is one of the most-watched shows on tv internationally, which is where I think it makes its money.  I even read someplace that Bold has more viewers on a daily basis in Italy (where it's known simply as Beautiful) than here in the States.  It's also very popular in Australia, I believe, evidently pulling in higher ratings there than the homegrown Neighbours which was cancelled not too long ago.

I would agree that if it relied chiefly on U.S. audiences, it would've gotten the ax a long time ago, unfortunately. But, its international presence is what's propping it up. Perhaps it might make the move to Paramount+ someday for U.S. audiences, but as long as the show is making money via international broadcasts and licensing and what not, it's probably not going to really go anywhere anytime soon, even it's not necessarily broadcast OTA on CBS.

Edited by TresGriffin
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

On 3/25/2024 at 2:29 PM, mrschimpf said:

But if they add a show at 12:30, how do you get affiliates to pick it up or not send it to 3am so they keep the full hour? Compulsory carriage is the only way that works.

And even then, I don't see them going to a fully straight newscast because CBS Deals is being pushed heavily and they aren't giving up that revenue source even if everyone else outside compulsive shoppers hates it.

*separated posts so it's not one massive paragraph*

It's not implausible but----Why do we keep forcing idea that CBS is going to launch an afternoon newscast when they've shown no indications of doing so, and their national news product is not strong outside of 60 Mins and Sunday Morning? 

Edited by MediaZone4K
  • Like 5

Idea

10 Lets Make a Deal

11 Price is Right

12 Local News

12:30 Y&R

1 NEW SOAP: The Gates

1:30 B&B

2 The Talk

This is simplest way to accommodate the new soap without massively altering or confusing CBS's daytime lineup. Y&R remains in it's successful 12:30 ET slot, Gates airs at 1 to get the carryover audience, and the fans don't change the channel because they know Bold is coming on right after.

I doubt the The Talk or the game shows will be sliced to 30 minutes. I also don't see the veteran B&B getting canceled for a new soap. As awful as the show has become, it's still number two in soap ratings, and has international appeal. 

If you regularly watch B&B, you would know that expanding it to one hour is a bad idea. Not counting commercials, Bold's writers can't even fill 18 minutes without heavy repetition, let alone a full 38.

I don't mind if the CBS daytime block extends into 3pm, but affiliates like WANF, with 3 PM newscasts would. 

Edited by MediaZone4K
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, MediaZone4K said:

10 Lets Make a Deal

11 Price is Right

12 Local News

12:30 Y&R

1 NEW SOAP: The Gates

1:30 B&B

2 The Talk

This is simplest way to accommodate the new soap without massively altering or confusing CBS's daytime lineup. Y&R remains in it's successful 12:30 ET slot, Gates airs at 1 to get the carryover audience, and the fans don't change the channel because they know Bold is coming on right after.

One problem with this schedule is that CBS affiliates in the Central & Mountain time zones may balk at the idea of having a network show at 9AM. 

• Sad 1
  • Thought-Provoking 1

6 hours ago, Route66Fan said:

One problem with this schedule is that CBS affiliates in the Central & Mountain time zones may balk at the idea of having a network show at 9AM. 

This would not push the line up into 9am. All this is doing is splitting Y&R in half to fit The Gates.

But yes, what confuses things further is that the CBS daytime lineup isn't standardized across timezones. Y&R aires at 11 AM PT, then news, then B&B which screws up the carry over audience method.

• Like 2

IMG_8222.jpeg

https://www.soapoperanetwork.com/2024/03/the-gates-cbs-george-cheeks

Apprently the President and CEO of CBS, George Cheeks, says The Gates is likely being developed as an hour soap. So that furthers the question of where will it fit? 

Plus, --correct me if I'm wrong--none of the soaps that started out as an hour were successful.

We can endlessly speculate, but as always, wait and see.

Edited by MediaZone4K

No no, we need more mock, speculative schedules based on hunches and inklings. Move the local news? 30 minute soaps? Network shows that air at 9am ET? What are rules?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Abraham J. Simpson said:

There is zero chance Y&R gets cut. Less than zero. If this new show makes it to air, the Talk is toast. 

I would love to see The Talk go 🤷

Let's be cautious about speaking in absolutes when you also absolutely said soaps were done for. You've also questioned wether CBS would actually get rid of The Talk. 

The fact that they're even entertaining the launch of an hour long soap in 2024 is indication that wildcards are possible at this point. 

Edited by MediaZone4K
  • Like 4

17 hours ago, MediaZone4K said:

Plus, --correct me if I'm wrong--none of the soaps that started out as an hour were successful.

Only four soaps ever started as hour-long programs, all on NBC: TexasSanta Barbara, Sunset Beach and Passions. All three were at or near the bottom of the daytime ratings throughout their respective runs, but only one never lasted longer than four years. (Santa Barbara ran for nine years and Passions ran for eight years, followed by an ninth that aired on what eventually became the now-defunct Audience Network after NBC dropped the show in 2007 to make room for the fourth hour of Today.) I'm not sure if Santa Barbara (1984–93) was ever dead last in the ratings at any point, given there was a lot of low-rated competition at various points during its run (Loving, Generations, Ryan's HopeCapitol and, having spiraled into its nadir during its final years following its 1982 move from CBS to NBC, Search for Tomorrow).

The Aaron Spelling-produced Sunset Beach was technically the least successful of the three serials, only lasting for three years from January 1997 to December 1999. (Fun Fact: It was the only conventional daytime show to ever be featured on the overnight block once known as "NBC All Night".) Oddly, despite consistently having poor ratings throughout its run, NBC chose to give Sunset a few multi-month renewals toward the end of its run because it performed well among younger audiences. That decision to renew the show short-term in early 1999, along with NBC and Sony securing a deal to renew Days of Our Lives after settling disagreements during contract talks (including issues over same-day PPV rebroadcasts on DirecTV, with speculation that it somehow would end up being picked up by ABC should NBC drop it, despite a lack of room on ABC's daytime schedule at the time to allow for a fifth soap), contributed to Another World getting the axe.

Passions (1999–2008; until 2007 on NBC) had similar issues as Sunset Beach, finishing at of near the bottom of the ratings (and doing at least slightly worse in total viewers than the soap it replaced, Another World (which placed eighth in the ratings out of the eleven soaps on the air at the time of its cancellation, ahead of only Sunset and Port Charles), did during the last couple of years of its run); it didn't land in last place among the soaps until ABC canceled Port Charles in 2003, reducing the number of daytime serials from ten to nine. Like Sunset Beach, Passions stayed on NBC because of its performance among teenagers and women 18-34 (it typically placed first among both demographics).

Edited by T.L. Hughes
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thought-Provoking 2

I wouldn't put money on B&B going to an hour.  Brad Bell has been adamant that that's not going to happen, and I think the actors like the half-hour format because, normally, they can rehearse and tape the show in an eight-hour working day rather than the 12-14-hour days common on the hour soaps.  0p-

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Somebody forgot Texas, the Another World spinoff that tried to capitalize on the Dallas craze in 1980.  NBC put it on against General Hospital (then in the Luke and Laura craze) and Guiding Light at 3 PM, and it made few if any inroads against the established hits on ABC and CBS.  NBC made another goof when it moved Texas to 11 AM, against The Price Is Right.  Texas and The Doctors had their last episodes Dec. 31, 1982.  Texas was actually the first soap to debut as an hour show and, yes, it was on NBC.

Does anybody realize that only three NBC soaps lasted more than ten years: Days, The Doctors, and Another World?  I don't count Search for Tomorrow, because it was on CBS for 31 years but only four on NBC.  By contrast, CBS has had eight (Y&R, B&B, Guiding Light, As the World Turns, Edge of Night (19 of its 28 years),

Search for Tomorrow (31 of 35 years), Love of Life, and  Secret Storm; ABC has had five (GH, One Life to Live, All My Children, Ryan's Hope, and Loving--I don't count Edge of Night because it was on for nine years on ABC).

22 hours ago, MediaZone4K said:

But yes, what confuses things further is that the CBS daytime lineup isn't standardized across timezones. Y&R aires at 11 AM PT, then news, then B&B which screws up the carry over audience method.

Sidebar: This actually reminds me of the joke Bob Barker would make on TPIR whenever a contestant would take too long to do something (or if they spun the big wheel so hard, it spins around for a longer time than usual): "We're going to have to cancel Young & Restless today!" or variations thereof.

It used to always confuse me when I was a kid, knowing that in Atlanta, the news comes on directly after TPIR, not Y&R. Of course, I know now he was referring to the West Coast timeslots.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bpatrick said:

Somebody forgot Texas, the Another World spinoff that tried to capitalize on the Dallas craze in 1980.  NBC put it on against General Hospital (then in the Luke and Laura craze) and Guiding Light at 3 PM, and it made few if any inroads against the established hits on ABC and CBS.  NBC made another goof when it moved Texas to 11 AM, against The Price Is Right.  Texas and The Doctors had their last episodes Dec. 31, 1982.  Texas was actually the first soap to debut as an hour show and, yes, it was on NBC.

Oh, yeah, I did forget about Texas. Its creation also led to Another World being cut down from 90 minutes back to the then-newly standard one-hour format, after only 17 months in the longer runtime, and contributed to the half-hour Doctors' demise by bumping that soap from its 3:00 p.m. ET slot to 12:30 (where it would be more vulnerable to preemption by some affiliates), putting it in direct competition with Ryan's Hope and (within a year of moving to that slot) The Young and the Restless. Search for Tomorrow's move to NBC soon prompted The Doctors to move up a half-hour to noon ET, dragging down ratings even more in its final year.

Edited by T.L. Hughes
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

It's remarkable how Page Six always has " a source" on each topic who manages to speak in very similar tones/phrasing regardless of the topic. Then again, it's hard to always take Page Six seriously anyway. 😃 

Again, we are a long way from seeing this latest "in development" show become a reality. And viewership data is what it is. Even if we take Page Six as gospel truth, there's a big gulf between looking for cheap filler in the form of a courtroom show to the cost of a soap. They may be able to build a more cost-friendly model going ground-up, but this feels more like a "we need to show something coming from this agreement we entered into and so far nothing else has come from it." Skepticism is healthy.  😃

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

I like to assume that the 'discussions' were like this;

George Cheeks or Bob Bakish - "Judy, if you forget all that strife we had about your deal a few years back and drove you from the network, please let us put your show on CBS."

Judy - "NO! Get out of my office"

George/Bob - "Welp we tried."

Shari Redstone - "OK, maybe she'll respond to me as a woman–"
Judy - "Hell no, and I'm glad your dad's dead!"
Shari - "I tried too, back to inexplicably allowing Pictionary (which airs against The Talk on the Fox O&Os) to have a Talk week and self-sabotage our daytime ratings!"

(I did not make up the last item about Jerry O'Connell's Pictionary having The Talk cast on their show last week instead of a CBS game show. Why do that?!)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, mrschimpf said:

Shari - "I tried too, back to inexplicably allowing Pictionary (which airs against The Talk on the Fox O&Os) to have a Talk week and self-sabotage our daytime ratings!"

(I did not make up the last item about Jerry O'Connell's Pictionary having The Talk cast on their show last week instead of a CBS game show. Why do that?!)

Well, Jerry is a host of The Talk. I guess it is a little odd considering the Fox connection (although, at least here in Philly, Pictionary airs before The Talk, not against it), but it's not as strange as it would be if they had the cast of The View on or something.

• Thanks 2