NBC5 Swaps Morning Gals

former newsboy

Robert Feder's reporting today that NBC5 is switching things up in the AM by replacing weekday morning anchor Ellee Pai Hong with weekend morning anchor Zoraida Sambolin. In turn, Ellee will take Zoraida's spot, a much lesser role.

Ellie's saying it was her wish, but apparently Channel 5's morning numbers have been dwindling, something that surprises me since they're the only station in town that starts at 4:30AM.

At the same time, I thought Ellie damaged her credibility when she served as Bruce Wolf's air-head sidekick on his short-lived show. As a result, I now think of her as terribly superficial and lacking any real news chops. I'm betting others must feel the same way and that it may the reason for the falling ratings. That's my take.

Zoraida actually had the gig before Ellee arrived in 2003. And personally, I think Kim Vatis is better alongside Dick Johnson.

On a side note... Has Channel 5 filled their traffic vacancy yet? Are they going to? Perhaps the absence of a regular traffic presence is to blame as well? And who's benefitting from this loss in viewers for Channel 5, is it Channel 2?

On a side note... Has Channel 5 filled their traffic vacancy yet? Are they going to? Perhaps the absence of a regular traffic presence is to blame as well? And who's benefitting from this loss in viewers for Channel 5, is it Channel 2?

No new traffic person yet and I don't think there will be one for a while. They're still on very tight budget.

Heck, it's only now that they're getting a replacement weekend anchor for Bob Sirott's old spot. Rob Stafford who was laid off by NBC News (Network) last year because of budget cuts was just rehired by NBC 5 (WMAQ-TV) as new weekend anchor and weekday reporter. This was only possible because of Amy Jacobson leaving the station which freed up some payroll.

It's kind of interesting that back when Rob was working for NBC News (Network), he also served as a fill-in anchor and reporter for NBC 5 (WMAQ-TV). Now that Rob works for NBC 5, he'll probably be called on by NBC News to do stories/segments/reports based around the Chicago area since he's already known on the national scene.

Archived