Kimmel Retiring?

Georgie56

From the LA Times.

“I think this is my final contract. I hate to even say it, because everyone’s laughing at me now — each time I think that, and then it turns out to be not the case. I still have a little more than two years left on my contract, and that seems pretty good. That seems like enough.”

Not to dive into speculation, but could ABC return the remaining portion of the  11/10pm hour to their affiliates and have Nightline on at 12a/11p?

Certain ABC affiliates may want their old hour-long newscasts back....cough cough WEAR...WISN...  Not to mention those stations that added another half-hour syndie after the 10pm news and did so for years....

Doing so would give ABC stations an advantage over CBS or NBC.

Edited by tyrannical bastard
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, MorningNews said:

I would doubt it. Hasn’t the JKL hour been fairly successful for ABC? Seems like they’d want to find a suitable replacement than abandoning it.

I don't know...I think the cancellation of the Late Late Show after Corden's departure was a bit of a bellwether for the decreasing relevance of late night talk shows. Kimmel has his audience, but if I'm not mistaken, he is routinely beaten by Colbert and Fallon. As far as his current place in late night TV is concerned, I feel like The Daily Show and Last Week Tonight are more culturally relevant than Jimmy Kimmel.

I suppose there's a chance that ABC finds a fresh comedian to helm a new talk show, and if they're making money between 11:35 and 12:35, they probably won't fix what isn't broken. However, if they end up giving an extra 25 minutes to the affiliates, that really wouldn't surprise me.

Edited by nycnewsjunkie
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Not to dive into speculation, but could ABC return the remaining portion of the  11/10pm hour to their affiliates and have Nightline on at 12a/11p?

Certain ABC affiliates may want their old hour-long newscasts back....cough cough WEAR...WISN...  Not to mention those stations that added another half-hour syndie after the 10pm news and did so for years....

Realistically, the network isn't giving up that real estate to NBC and CBS. The benefits, hypothetical at that, of stations like WPVI for example doing an hour of news are more than offset by the lost revenue of abandoning the genre. Of course, there is the money to be made from those who view later in clips or on-demand, et al. Non-owned stations making more cash does nothing for Disney directly. Keeping something competitive in that slot does.

They may try and fail with an initial replacement. Such is life. But if, and it's a big if based on one comment at this point, he leaves after this contract, that slot is going to remain in ABC's control. Personally, I'd love to see Nightline reclaim the spot, but I know that isn't the smart business play here. It's just a personal preference from someone with no skin in the game. 

• Like 8

5 hours ago, nycnewsjunkie said:

Kimmel has his audience, but if I'm not mistaken, he is routinely beaten by Colbert and Fallon. As far as his current place in late night TV is concerned, I feel like The Daily Show and Last Week Tonight are more culturally relevant than Jimmy Kimmel.

I suppose there's a chance that ABC finds a fresh comedian to helm a new talk show, and if they're making money between 11:35 and 12:35, they probably won't fix what isn't broken. However, if they end up giving an extra 25 minutes to the affiliates, that really wouldn't surprise me.

In the event that Kimmel goes I'd like to see ABC keep doing a late night talk show. As much as I like Nightline, it's nowhere near the intelectual program it was under Ted Koppel.

Jimmy can be great. His issue is over reliance on Trump for material, especially his virtue signal ladened monolouges. His segments outside of that like Liewitness News, Baby Bachelor and Unnecesary Censorship are hilarious. Otherwise, I find myself turning into Fallon, someone who covers Trump briefly and moves on to other material, keeping his politics at minimum.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

I think Nightline could expand to an hour if Kimmel was not replaced.

Edited by Nelson R.

Way back in the 80s and 90s, the networks were ceding their time left and right as the game shows that filled that time were going away one by one. 

Of course, that was a different era when the networks PAID stations to air their content....but local ad dollars were more enticing....

Flash forward to today, and you can't pry away network time from their "cold dead hands".  And they replace shows with new ones just because they have the "time" to do so.  All  the while reverse compensation is alive and well and is keeping the whole shebang afloat (for now).

The last ceding of time I can recall is "Later" going away on NBC, but even that is filled by a repeat of Nightly News for any affiliate that doesn't want to (or can't) replay their late news.

Edited by tyrannical bastard
  • Sad 1

There’s a limit to how much you can cede. Over time, I think on balance the networks gave a good amount relative to the way compensation has shifted. That time slot remains valuable enough that it’s not so much as a “cold dead hands” deal so much as not abandoning a still valuable daypart. 

It’s always going to be a balancing act - at least as long as the model holds up. Nothing saying it won’t undergo another seismic shift, but the Kimmel slot isn’t going to be that shot across the bow. 

and this all assumes he actually does make this his final contract. Let’s be honest, we’ve heard this from many a person over the years and seen it not happen. 

• Like 1