New York Nightly News Getting National Ad-Time

qunewsguy

I was watching CNBC this afternoon (in northern Connecticut) and in the middle of a national commercial break a 30 second promo ran for New York Nightly News on WNBC. First time I've ever seen a WNBC ad on there. Are they figuring the financial analysts in NYC are watching CNBC during the day and trying to cross-promote or what?

Maybe they are just running over the CNN commercial from you cable company with new ad. Easy and cheap to do. :D

Yes, they usually do that. When I watch G4 or other national channels, I sometimes see ads for colleges which are in my local area, like Gibbs and etc. Its done by the cable company, not the network.

WNBC does not have any viewers in the part of Connecticut I live in. WNBC doesn't reach out of Fairfield, Litchfield, and New Haven counties, nor does the cable company I have serve ANY of those areas. In fact, I can receive WBZ over the air better than I can WNBC on the rare occasion one of the two might happen to come in. I'm ten miles from Springfield, Mass. Up here nobody even knows what WNBC is unless they happen to be a transplant from NYC. Apologies for not being more specific about which part of Connecticut I live in.

One more reason I know this was a nationally aired spot: the CNBC ticker was up and running with the spot squeezed down. That doesn't happen with the local cable insert spots.

One more reason I know this was a nationally aired spot: the CNBC ticker was up and running with the spot squeezed down. That doesn't happen with the local cable insert spots.

FWIW: Comcast Spotlight ads on CNBC locally for me are compressed above the ticker.

And, IIRC, most/all of CT has WNBC Weather Plus available on the digital tier. Maybe it was just a mistaken ad buy on WNBC's part -- perhaps whoever made the purchase only glanced at the availability and mistook Wx+ for the main channel.

Well we do receive Weather Plus on digital, but it comes from WVIT, not WNBC. And my cable company takes the spots fullscreen. But apparently you guys all know my cable operator sooooooo much better than I do. :-\

If it comes up again I'll grab some video for ya... but of course you guys probably still won't believe me. Oh well

I think it's one of 2 options.

1) WNBC is the national-local NBC station throughout the country. In some places the cable providers will put on an additional NBC affiliate, if there is not a powerful NBC affiliate nearby, they will sometimes use WNBC. Adelphia in San Juan, Puerto Rico for instance, shows WNBC. So it is a possibility that your cable provider in another area might show WNBC.

2) CNBC is the financial station, and most people watching are concerned with Wall Street in New York, so it might make sense to advertise on CNBC since many people watching are potential viewers of WNBC.

I think it's one of 2 options.

1) WNBC is the national-local NBC station throughout the country. In some places the cable providers will put on an additional NBC affiliate, if there is not a powerful NBC affiliate nearby, they will sometimes use WNBC. Adelphia in San Juan, Puerto Rico for instance, shows WNBC. So it is a possibility that your cable provider in another area might show WNBC.

AND DAMN DIRECTV TOOK OFF WNBC TO PUT WVGN. I AM REALLY PI$$ED THAT I CAN'T WATCH NY NIGHTLY NEWS NOR CBS 2 NEWS.

If it aired nationally, it was a mistake. CNBC recently moved to a new broadcast operations facility which is integrated with a lot of other networks... all it would take is a commercial to be inserted with the right code, but wrong video, and you could see that happen... I wouldn't read too much into it as it was most likely a mistake assuming it actually went out nationally.

I saw a New York Nightly News promo on TBS tonight. Seems WNBC is buying up lots of local ad time to promote their primetime as well... so it's likely the promo was supposed to air locally, but got mixed in with something else.

The YES network, during Yankee baseball games, also runs ads for the New York Nightly News, and everyone gets it on MLB Extra Innings, and on the sports packages on DirecTV.

YES is a regional network, primarily the NY Metro area but is available as part of the DirectTV sports package to subscribers and MLB extra innings during most Yankee home games and select away games. But it serves the NY Metro market, so I would not consider that a "national" ad. I see Dunkin Donuts ads on there all the time, and there are no fracking Dunkin Donuts in St. Louis, unfortunately, or Sleepy's, or any other local advertisers on YES.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived