Sue Simmons

PunditWannabe

With Sue being relegated to the 11pm newscast only, I wonder what the backstory is....do we think it's something she wanted? I mean, she probably could have (and should have, IMO) done the 6pm with Ushery. I think that would be a lot better team. Baquero is ok, but a bit stiff.

Any speculation?

Although Sue has been in this market for a long time, I think (IMO) her time there is over. I never really liked her, and never thought she was that strong of an anchor. However, that being said, I'm also not really crazy about Linda either. I think at this point in her career, Sue wants to work less and still get paid the ridiculous salary that she makes. And right now it looks like that's exactly what's gonna happen.

Well I guess when they can't handle her anymore because of the amount of money she makes, she can retire. I don't think she'll want to renew her contract after it expires. I also don't think WNBC wants to do so as well.

Not much room for a gay, overweigh, 64 year old, female anchor in the New York market.

That's not nice to say at all!

She is one of the strongest remaining anchors on air in NY. It will be a sad day when she retires, because we'll be left with mediocre anchors like Lynda Baquero and Kristine Johnson.

To all the naysayers about Sue:

Sue's been here as lead anchorwoman at WNBC since 1980. What happened to all the others? Michele Marsh? Carol Martin? Roz Abrams? Where are they? And they keep her because she gets RATINGS along with Chuck. And before any of you start nonsense about the 7, they went with a single anchor format to match NBC Nightly. Sue is great and she'll be around for a long time to come at WNBC. And if they wanted to get rid of her thehy would. They got rid of Michele Marsh and paid her contract out. WCBS did same with Roz Abrams. If they wanted to,t hey could have done that with Sue.

I still think they should have kept Sue on at 6. Also how did David ever get that spot. Just a year ago he was the weekend morning anchor! I personaly think that Rob and Sue would make a great team at 6. Then David could be on in the mornings.

Not much room for a gay, overweigh, 64 year old, female anchor in the New York market.

Ouch! I'd say she is neither too gay or too old! A lot I people love Sue! I don't even live in-market, and I love her!

Really...it's not like Sue cuts her hair super short and abandons make up.

If you want an example of "too gay", please come to Tampa, where you'll see the flaming Andy Johnson do weekend morning weather.

No need to go to Tampa. We have Sam Champion in NYC and had Steve "The Nightcrawler" Bartelstein. Steve tops them all.

My journalism professor worked at WNBC for 20 years, producing Today in New York and later the 11pm news. He basically told me that there is no way Sue wanted this, and this is all about the NBC 2.0 budget cuts. According to him, everyone in the newsroom felt (and still feels) that Chuck was the better anchor, and Sue was just paid to show up, look pretty, and smile. Chuck writes most of the stories for the 11pm show with the producers, and Sue just follows his lead. He said on most nights, Chuck would be back from his dinner break after the 6pm show at around 8:30, whereas Sue wouldn't show until 9 or 10. Chuck has and always will be the captain of that ship! Sue had this demotion coming for a long time.

Besides all the behind the scenes stuff, Sue is still a Staple along side Chuck. We all know that Chuck is the main man, but who possibly could fill Sue's position? If Lynda is even considered for that job, I might...I'm not sure what I might due.

Besides all the behind the scenes stuff, Sue is still a Staple along side Chuck. We all know that Chuck is the main man, but who possibly could fill Sue's position? If Lynda is even considered for that job, I might...I'm not sure what I might due.

I dont think WNBC has any possible candidates to replace Sue when she retires. Lynda and Perri does not attract viewers. Maybe Darlene and Rob may become the main faces. Who Knows?

To me Darlene is great! But getting back to the old bag of Sue Simmons? Puh-leeze! Never saw the pop that everyone raves about with her. If I were NBC, it's time to put the cow out to pasture!

Sue is one of the most overated anchors in the market.

To me Darlene is great! But getting back to the old bag of Sue Simmons? Puh-leeze! Never saw the pop that everyone raves about with her. If I were NBC, it's time to put the cow out to pasture!

Sue is one of the most overated anchors in the market.

Dag, thats really mean. Any how WNBC needs some younger faces but yet with experience. Not like WCBS who put airheads on the air. Does anyone know the ratings for WNBC 11pm newscasts?

Archived