NBC's declaration of civil war

alaskanews

well im gonna try and be the first one to post

at first i thought it was a serious no-no, but as i listened to their reasoning, i agreed with it a little more, but im still not to savy with them declaring iraq a civil war. your thoughts?

Look, NBC can call the war whatever they want and I'm not here to stop them, but I do believe that this was poor judgement on their part.

If I was the head of NBC News, I certainly wouldn't have wanted to stir up controversy by being the first network to refer to the War in Iraq as a 'Civil War' - something that won't sit well with a rather large portion of the American public.

Just my $0.02

When you have two groups of people in the same country, both wanting to destroy the other its a Civil War. Was NBC right in its decision from a journalistic standpoint? Hell yeah! Its about damn time someone was willing to step up and start telling the truth about the war in Iraq. Too bad it was a television network and not the White House.

For some, denial... it just ain't a river in Egypt ya know?

matt.

I will be the first one to tell you that I support our troops, but I will also tell you that the Iraq war is a big fat mess. I'm tired of GWB and the White House calling this shit "sectarian violence". Just admit it's a civil war. We need to get out of there as soon as we can as long as the Iraqi forces can take over. We need to stop American and innocent Iraqi bloodshed that gets caught up in this.

Agreed.

The media has been tip-toeing around calling it "Civil War" since the bombing at the Mosque at the Golden Dome over a year ago.

Ever since then, most of the media has prefaced their reports on "sectarian violence" with "one step closer to (insert your favorite adjective here) civil war." How may "steps" is it before the violence can be considered "civil war?" When the White House says so? Well, here's a newsflash, media, they ain't gonna ever say so!

So...when is it? When does the violence become so overwhelming that its time to call a spade a spade?

So, yeah, its about damn time that one of the networks had enough balls to do it.

When you have two groups of people in the same country, both wanting to destroy the other its a Civil War. Was NBC right in its decision from a journalistic standpoint? Hell yeah! Its about damn time someone was willing to step up and start telling the truth about the war in Iraq. Too bad it was a television network and not the White House.

For some, denial... it just ain't a river in Egypt ya know?

matt.

"mattLAW" hit the nail right on the head. When multiple factions of a country are fighting and killing eachother just to see who will end up in power, it's a civil war. It's very simple. Whether it's the Sunnis vs. the Kurds vs. the Shiites...or the North vs. the South vs. the East vs. the West. Iraq is in a state of civil war and it will take a long time, and a change in administration, for the White House to ever admit to it.

NBC News is absolutley correct to begin using the term. A news organization is supposed to report the facts, not wait until the government says its OK to do so. A civil war in Iraq is a fact right now and our government will never be happy with any reporting done on the "sectarian violence."

Archived