New Cox Group Graphics Package

ATLNewsExpert

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, JosiahCubed said:

More screenshots of the package:

Not bad! Like the still Falcons transition WSB used today. Hope that transition animates nicely! Like that infographic here too!

IMO from what we've seen this looks like Scripps News meets NewsNation.

Edited by 24994J
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, JosiahCubed said:

And here's a picture of the end of the new open:

Was just about to say that WSB used this for the "WSB Tonight" open. They went mostly full package for this newscast. Used the completely new L3 teasers too. I actually like what they done for the L3's for "WSB Tonight", the main box is dark blue, with orange being the above box. 

Hopefully by the end of the week they'll switch to using the whole package for every newscast.

Edited by 24994J

On 1/8/2024 at 3:23 PM, ATLNewsExpert said:

And here is that Falcon's transition.

And here is the new OTS shot.

And the new teaser graphics without L3's (they only use the L3's before each newscast, like in the last package.

Also this is the first time, at least in my memory, that the time and temp bug has been on the left side, as it, every package since the launch of HD, has been on the right.

Exactly! It always been on the other side going back to the 90s.  It a shocked to see it on the left side.  WSB moves slowly on change.

Edited by 24994J

For a company that throws (or used to throw?) away a lot of money at consultants to tell them what to think and do, this looks pretty underwhelming for a group-wide graphics package.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

WSB broke into severe weather coverage during GMA 30 mins ago to cover a Tornado Warning for the Atlanta metro area. One thing I noticed is the lower third remained the default blue instead of red like it did in the previous graphics package. It’s a subtle change, but I thought it was interesting change from the past decade or so of seeing a red lower thirds during severe weather coverage.

• Like 1

The WSB package would look better as 3D not flat. The Action News Jax look awkwardly mixes the 3D glossy logo with flat L3s. I liked that COX still maintained the 3D look. Hopefully Hearst doesn't go the flat route.

Edited by MediaZone4K
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, ATLNewsExpert said:

Not bad! Like the still Falcons transition WSB used today. Hope that transition animates nicely! Like that infographic here too!

IMO from what we've seen this looks like Scripps News meets NewsNation.

The font and look reads to me like a copy of the Fox O&O graphics; if you took away all branding and asked me to compare WSB to WAGA, I would be hard-pressed to tell the difference outside the "5", which has a signature look with Fox's Neue Plck font which isn't in the Coxpollo package.

Edited by mrschimpf
  • Like 3

Might be a good idea to retitle this thread “CoxPollo New Graphics”, since this is certainly appearing to be a group-wide rollout.

I just thought of something: This new package will fit WFXT like a glove.

Edited by TresGriffin
  • Like 6

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, CLT-DCA-ORF-PTI said:

WSOC just debuted the graphics at Noon. Finally phasing out that butchered package from like 2011 or 2012 I think?

Just now for a "county by county" segment, they used a transition similar to this, so far, same other transitions and intro.

Edited by 24994J

• 24994J changed the title to New Cox Group Graphics Package
33 minutes ago, TSSZNews said:

Reminds me a lot of FOX -- almost to the point where it wouldn't surprise me if one of the FOX O&O hub folks got poached to produce this.

I can only speak for Atlanta, but WAGA, a FOX O&O has been in second place in the ratings and has long been on WSB's tail for first. This might be a possibility for the similarities. Same thing to a lesser extent with Gray owned WANF/WPCH (similarities to GrayONE) although to a lesser extent.

• Like 3

I really like the overall lower thirds/OTS/boxes/etc (though there are some questionable choices in certain aspects). You can really tell a lot of thought went into making this into a comprehensive package where everything works with everything else. The in-show graphics remind me a lot of the original NewsNation graphics and the ABC O&O package being rolled out.

But... and I know this is a tough pill for some to swallow, but the 3D stuff ruins it. They look like they came from a graphics package that debut 12 years ago. The opens being a bunch of 3D text and logos flying around with no reason is completely out of place in this package where everything else is designed with some thought and order. It honestly looks like they debut a mashed up old and new graphics package. Did two different firms work on this or something? Did they change course halfway through and not want to pay to redo the opens and interstitial stuff?

The very first transition out of black and into the show in that WAXN video seems like it "fits" better. You can have some 3D, but stuff like the logos flying in and the letters twirling around has been a news graphics cliche for at least the past decade (where it should have been left.)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4