New Cox Group Graphics Package

ATLNewsExpert

Hallelujah! Thought this day would never come!

WSB debuted new graphics at noon, ok well maybe not entirely new graphics, more like an update on their last package, which was an update from another package......

Regardless the main thing is things look a little different on air, this new update is very flat, no gradients actually, honestly so far, color me disappointed. Below are some screenshots of how it looks on air so far. Unsure what the new intro looks like, if there is a new one at all, we shall see at 4pm!

image.thumb.png.fa1733605a9797564f6d08f20501403d.pngimage.thumb.png.c0b21e9208d3f5174c4263644f93e44a.pngimage.thumb.png.3e889a9125bfeb200a5ca6eb0c14eeb2.pngimage.thumb.png.a7f832f72814162d56c2c6437e718850.pngimage.thumb.png.1503703c024b4e72f20ee7f8006c0d06.pngimage.thumb.png.45b796d6e579f587c13d0a79f9f0b597.png

Edited by 24994J
  • Like 6

6 minutes ago, TennTV1983 said:

Looks like WSB and/or Coxpollo hired the same company that did the ABC O&O package and WINK's new graphics. The similarities are all there.

I was actually on the fence on making that same observation in the original post!

With CMG starting up a graphics hub in Atlanta last year, I guess this is the new group look? Otherwise it doesn’t make a ton of sense to launch something new at WSB if a group look is coming? 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I'm not loving the font, but in general, I'm like THANK GOODNESS!

You spoke too soon! Scratch this y'all. No new intro. No new transitions. It's just a lower thirds update. Though there is an update to the teaser lower thirds, though those now make you think you're watching Atlanta News First......

Though funny enough, right before they done a quick live shot of the Falcon's manager's press conference they did have a new Falcon's transition, maybe this is just the first half of the launch and there will be new transitions based off that Falcons transition???? Here is the updated Double Box shot, there is also a new OTS graphic, as well as a new, cleaner version of that weird map graphic that they have used in some form for around 10 years, which is below as well. 

image.thumb.png.f72cad1adc29aa63adc8b3aee0f23442.pngimage.thumb.png.9f26004aab463c01c1c16d7800fc39ad.png

Edited by 24994J

3 minutes ago, ATLNewsExpert said:

You spoke too soon! Scratch this y'all. No new intro. No new transitions. It's just a lower thirds update. Though there is an update to the teaser lower thirds, though those now make you think you're watching Atlanta News First......

Yeah, I'm watching right now and it's still a hodgepodge. This definitely looks to be further piecemealing of any sort of new look.  At least it's a step in the right direction.  Looks like the weather graphics are still the same as before.

I'm also seeing some Fox O&O influences here too...

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

And here is that Falcon's transition.

image.thumb.png.6a65468cc8b9d3ef31a8a938a75c61e2.png

And here is the new OTS shot.

image.thumb.png.36b68d8deb09248288c85ee0fda42528.png

And the new teaser graphics without L3's (they only use the L3's before each newscast, like in the last package.

image.thumb.png.8b5c3f1a0f9dbc1c4461233a737bec0c.png

Also this is the first time, at least in my memory, that the time and temp bug has been on the left side, as it, every package since the launch of HD, has been on the right.

Edited by 24994J
  • Like 2

Another observation I just made.  When we're getting the dual-anchor shot with the lower third, get rid of "Action News" underneath each of their names. It's redundant. 

I'll chalk this one up to first-day teething problems.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 1/8/2024 at 4:00 PM, TresGriffin said:

Another observation I just made.  When we're getting the dual-anchor shot with the lower third, get rid of "Action News" underneath each of their names. It's redundant. 

I'll chalk this one up to first-day teething problems.

I think that was with the last package to on occasion. While I'm at it, the pre newscast teaser with lower thirds. Also for the self proclaimed "Cobb Bureau" and other counties so graced by the COX gods for such a branding, they still use those new out of place cards beside the bug, same with the "Serve Weather Team 2" logo.

image.thumb.png.6ac2fec93748b27afd7cbf1d5cef72dc.png

Edited by 24994J

Posted (edited)
On 1/8/2024 at 4:00 PM, TresGriffin said:

Looks like they listened to you! At the start of the 6pm newscast, Jorge and Linda's names were in the L3 without "Action News" at all! Really like the new info graphics actually, like below, the transitions to them are nice to, the space in white is preceded by a light blue box beside the topic picture.

image.thumb.png.058d90ff57719df6a03c792fe6f2f0c4.png

On 1/8/2024 at 4:02 PM, ATLNewsExpert said:

I think that was with the last package to on occasion. While I'm at it, the pre newscast teaser with lower thirds. Also for the self proclaimed "Cobb Bureau" and other counties so graced by the COX gods for such a branding, they still use those new out of place cards beside the bug, same with the "Serve Weather Team 2" logo.

Observations. For the 4pm tease, they did not have the black box, but simply just the headline in the white/gray box, not half in half. The picture I quoted from myself was at 5pm, and they done this again at 6pm with the headline "Mayor controversy", Mayor in the white, Controversy in the black.

Edited by 24994J

Posted (edited)

These "diagonal boxes" on the main video monitor are new. Something similar was done on this wall before going on a report but it was with dark blue and yellow, and more flat.image.thumb.png.d031bc5d307023131172604e0231b72b.png

Edited by 24994J

Posted (edited)

More observations. 

First here is the two name L3's without the "Action News" below each name. Also is it just me or does the background seem slightly updated, I could have swore the picture on the left did not use to be the highway, and although you can't see it in this picture, some boxes repeat themselves right on the bottom right behind the last row of "Channel 2 - Action News" on the very bottom of the panel.

image.thumb.png.d33a1de3b98dc450035175c7a4c30f01.png

Edited by 24994J

23 hours ago, ATLNewsExpert said:

These "diagonal boxes" on the main video monitor are new. Something similar was done on this wall before going on a report but it was with dark blue and yellow, and more flat.

Does that remind anyone else of the Hearst Diagrid?

Edited by 24994J

29 minutes ago, Georgie56 said:

Action News Jax has also debuted this package today.

Did they debut anything else but the lower thirds, OTS, and double box? Any new intro, transitions, etc or are they using a mish mash of this and their "old" package? If they did, have video?

17 minutes ago, ATLNewsExpert said:

Did they debut anything else but the lower thirds, OTS, and double box? Any new intro, transitions, etc or are they using a mish mash of this and their "old" package? If they did, have video?

Debuted the full package, intro and all.

• Empathetic 1

I just went to the Action News Jax website to watch the livestream, and yes indeed, they have the new graphics. The font looks like it is Calibre, which Portugal's public broadcaster RTP uses in the logos of its channels.

1SaGcMh.pngXx5X0JY.png

Edited by 24994J
  • Like 2

It definitely has the FOX O&O vibe, at least with the font.

Once this package gets to the other markets (especially Pittsburgh and Charlotte) it will be a major improvement.  Both of those packages probably go all the way back to their launch in HD, which seems like an eternity.

• Like 4

Just now, tyrannical bastard said:

It definitely has the FOX O&O vibe, at least with the font.

Once this package gets to the other markets (especially Pittsburgh and Charlotte) it will be a major improvement.  Both of those packages probably go all the way back to their launch in HD, which seems like an eternity.

Yeah, with WPXI's current package (in use since 2015) being an evolution of the package from 2007.

• Like 3