Rose Parade

GodfreyGR

Just flipping through channels- Does anyone know the story behind 2 networks (NBC and ABC) Both showing the Tournament of Roses Parade? I don't have cable anymore, but I think HGTV used to show it as well. Feels like over kill. At least NBC v. CBS for the Macy's Parade, they're on different places on the route (And both take different angles to their coverage)

Bonus points to NBC for showing the crows just now with ABC's booth front and center on the screen for almost 10 seconds. 

27 minutes ago, GodfreyGR said:

Just flipping through channels- Does anyone know the story behind 2 networks (NBC and ABC) Both showing the Tournament of Roses Parade? I don't have cable anymore, but I think HGTV used to show it as well. Feels like over kill. At least NBC v. CBS for the Macy's Parade, they're on different places on the route (And both take different angles to their coverage)

Bonus points to NBC for showing the crows just now with ABC's booth front and center on the screen for almost 10 seconds. 

Univision also carries the parade in Spanish as well.  Not sure if KTLA still has a local broadcast.

Seeing as the organization is non-profit, they're probably very liberal with their TV rights.  It's not like the Macy's Thanksgiving  Day Parade which has an exclusive arrangement with NBC, leaving CBS to broadcast the parade in the public domain as it's on a public street in New York.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Univision also carries the parade in Spanish as well.  Not sure if KTLA still has a local broadcast.

Seeing as the organization is non-profit, they're probably very liberal with their TV rights.  It's not like the Macy's Thanksgiving  Day Parade which has an exclusive arrangement with NBC, leaving CBS to broadcast the parade in the public domain as it's on a public street in New York.

KTLA still does their local broadcast and still repeats it throughout the day and in primetime. Their coverage is also on Great American Family.

KTLA's coverage has historically been top rated. They do a lot of BTS and lead up stuff on the Morning News the week prior. There is also a 6am Rose Parade kick off show.

There was controversy a few years ago when they dropped hosts Stephanie Edwards and Bob Eubanks in favor of Michaela Pereira and someone else...can't recall who ATM. Stephanie was brought back the next year. Stephanie and Bob have since retired. New hosts Leeza Gibbons and Mark Steines have done a fantastic job over the past few years. 

KTTV used to have local coverage, but it never held a candle to KTLA.

59 minutes ago, GodfreyGR said:

CBS used to but they dropped it for some reason a while back. 

Years ago CBS did a New Years across America broadcast that carried parts of several parades including the Tournament of Roses, Philadelphia's Mummers parade and some others.  That got dropped years ago.

NBC has been the heritage broadcaster for a very long time (including the game).  When the Rose Bowl moved to ESPN/ABC broadcasts, ABC began broadcasting the parade too.  Recently, NBC coverage was a half hour less, due to a dog competition.  They no longer have that and went a full 2 hours.

WPIX/NY used to simulcast KTLA''s broadcast.  I can remember Bob Eubanks doing the hosting (The Newlywed Show host).  Since Tribune's sale, that hasn't happened.  I guess WPIX's owners (Mission, oops, Nextstar) has decided against airing simulcasts anymore.