CNBC Updates Logo, Graphics

mightynine

While a refresh was somewhat needed, this feels more like a mockup of a design you'd find on this forum than something worthy of cable news. I mean, it's not bad... but... it's not really all that good either? Of course, I'm commenting having only seen just this one screenshot... 

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

44 minutes ago, HSV cheesehead said:

This looks extremely similar to the NBC News Now graphics, just flipped, and taller.

image.thumb.png.27696fddb291e3e75758e27da3df9067.pngCNBC

NBCNNow.thumb.jpg.b3bf39789bf4d3f792c7618efeb22e4f.jpgNBC News Now

I would not suprised if it was done by the same team

It makes sense - given NBC is unifying logos and fonts among network.

The feedback in the comments of the Variety article is resoundingly negative. And Variety isn't some curmudgeon factory.

There's no advantage to the CNBC viewer in 'feeling' like the rest of NBC. In fact, for some, that's a negative. 

Graphics that made use of light effects and dimension were core to the CNBC brand. People in finance are used to darker screen backgrounds as well vs jarring white. 

That said white and blue was the CNBC look of the 90s but that observation isn't making them more likeable among some core finance nerd viewers - see the comments here

Edited by sfomspphl
  • Like 1

What a step backwards.  Yellow-on-white and white-on yellow is next-to-impossible to read.   The overly  large and bold alerts remind me of seeing an all-caps Trump tweet. I also miss the news scroll.   There's just nothing that I like about the new design and I wish they would ditch it. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

First impression: Not a huge fan. I'm fine with cleaner looks, and the previous package almost felt dated the day it launched, but this feels like it wastes a lot of space. The lower "ticker area" feels too big for the little information displayed. Also, maybe they fixed this later in the day (I'm only checking out the first few minutes of the 5 a.m. show), but it doesn't seem smart to have full screen animations/stingers (Breaking News, Market Alert) take up the full screen, even covering the bug and ticker. 

I wish NBC didn't feel the need to make all of these graphics bigger while showing less information.

• Sad 1

The green shade was absolutely blinding when in a full bar indicating gains, the gold shading is confusing, and the entire package is a middle finger to those who are colorblind. When your competition (Bloomberg here, since FBC has become an FNC annex, let's be serious) upgraded their presentation to 4k specifically to show more information, this is a major step backward. There is no reason for the index numbers to be that big, and it will definitely get adjustments, hopefully, especially if they do that superimposition of the live Dow they occasionally do on heavy market days.

(No change so far on CNBC World, by the way)

Edited by mrschimpf
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

Reading this article from The Other Site, it looks like they're no longer using the Brainstorm 3D real-time graphics system as part of this new graphics package. They are using Vizrt Viz Engine 5. I wonder if part of the purpose of the new graphics package was to cut costs.

Note, for the "CNBC World" version of Street Signs broadcasting on CNBC, they are still superimposing the old package for the ticker and info feed to match the international bureau's graphics (the old package).

Another note, they have also updated the "big board" graphics, which had still used their 2010 graphics package and font up until now.

Final note, they've been avoiding using "studio A" this week (the newsroom studio), perhaps it is getting a remodel after 13 years?

On 12/11/2023 at 9:23 AM, noggi said:

While a refresh was somewhat needed, this feels more like a mockup of a design you'd find on this forum than something worthy of cable news. I mean, it's not bad... but... it's not really all that good either? Of course, I'm commenting having only seen just this one screenshot... 

Totally agree. The look is very Sprectrum News. Flat. White. Uninspiring. Not awful but not remarkable. As we know from their tract record, NBC can do better than this.

People may object because news is not supposed to be "flashy", but whoever handles graphics and sets for sports networks like FS 1, ESPN, and NBC sports, need to help out network and cable news. 

CNBC has always been heavily graphics oriented so it can apply.

Edited by MediaZone4K
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 12/11/2023 at 7:23 AM, noggi said:

Wait. Are you saying that the mockups that you find on this forum aren't worthy of cable news!? 😉

• Empathetic 4