KPRC/Houston getting new set

Greggo

As you can see from the FB post below, KPRC moved its newscasts to the newsroom beginning today at noon while a new set is being built. It looks pretty cramped, but the newsroom provides a decent backdrop. 

Curious to see what’s in the works. Their current set debuted in 2016 when the station moved into its new building and has held up really well, with no significant signs of wear. 

One issue they have had recently is that their livestreaming show from 7a-10a has a unique format and often has kinda funky setups. Same goes for the new 10a newscast. They do a super-tight shot of the anchors for that show that shows almost none of the desk and stick a small, lucite table between the anchors. For interviews, they often put stools in front of the 3x3 video wall instead of using the designated interview area. 

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid02WRZX3xqu12Nx16Jou75o4DPMWQibfVM5sYR7vqA9BB8ZTXtuDf2L2bfGqb7jApKyl&id=100058222113278

Edited by Greggo
  • Like 1

• Greggo changed the title to KPRC/Houston getting new set
  • 1 month later...

One of their reporters posted this sneak peak on social media yesterday to mark KPRC’s 75th birthday. I realize it’s not done yet, but it’s kinda … underwhelming. Too much gray. As of now, at least, it’s a big step down from the not-very-old set it’ll be replacing. Also … based upon the multiple boxes, please tell me they’re not really ordering some set pieces from Amazon?!? 

IMG_0291.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Doesn’t look like it’s happening today after all. It’s a holiday — MLK Day — and there’s breaking news with the wintry weather. Maybe later in the week? 

On 1/2/2024 at 1:04 PM, Greggo said:

One of their reporters posted this sneak peak on social media yesterday to mark KPRC’s 75th birthday. I realize it’s not done yet, but it’s kinda … underwhelming. Too much gray. As of now, at least, it’s a big step down from the not-very-old set it’ll be replacing. Also … based upon the multiple boxes, please tell me they’re not really ordering some set pieces from Amazon?!? 

IMG_0291.jpeg

Looks like classic Erector Set to me.

Edited by ABC 7 Denver

• 4 weeks later...

2.5 months after they moved to a temporary set right after Thanksgiving and almost an entire month past their previously stated debut target of 1/15, they are set to finally debut this thing on Monday. Main anchor Daniella Guzman posted the news on Facebook this afternoon. The set is apparently “sleek” and “cool” with huge screens that require lots of standing and walking. All her words, not mine. She has a cheesy, totally staged — but kinda cute — teaser post on her Facebook page that only shows the new studio’s green screen, nothing more, in case anyone wants to check it out. 

https://www.facebook.com/KPRC2Daniella

COMPLETELY underwhelmed. This took 2.5 months? Did Graham do this in house? The 10a show has a unique format and is heavy on in-studio interviews so I assume we will see an interview set in the morning. 

IMG_9196.jpeg

IMG_9197.jpeg

IMG_9198.jpeg

IMG_9199.jpeg

IMG_9200.jpeg

IMG_9202.jpeg

IMG_9203.jpeg

IMG_9205.jpeg

IMG_9207.jpeg

IMG_9208.jpeg

IMG_9209.jpeg

IMG_9214.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, sfomspphl said:

Straining your talent by having them stand for an hour doesn't sound great for arresting delivery of the copy on the prompter. Competition must be loving this. 

I assure you the competition doesn't care a singular bit about KPRC's new studio.

• Like 6

Very underwhelming, especially for Graham which has some good looking stations. They should have taken a page from sister station WJXT whose set looks way better. IMO, stations need to tone down the video walls, quit the furniture minimalism and get some physical set pieces. 

image.thumb.png.88c7e772a3542d8da9434185eca0cdef.png

image.thumb.png.1277f8c0a63ddac9b6148a2d6a3ec8cb.png

Edited by MediaZone4K
  • Like 3

The new KPRC set is lit horribly. Awful actually. It doesnt even look modern with the weird early '00s curved "iPhone-esque" elements. Not good. Downgrade.

Edited by mouseboy33
spelling
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1