Tom Skilling to retire in February 2024

T.L. Hughes

It was inevitable, another one of WGN’s old guard is calling it quits… and this time it’s the king of Chicago weather. Tom Skilling has announced that he will retire as WGN’s chief meteorologist next year, after 45 years with the station. His last day will be February 28, 2024.

Edited by T.L. Hughes
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 4

2 hours ago, EVVTV12 said:

No, Tom isn’t the king of Chicago weather… he is the God of Chicago weather and the God of local TV weather. 

Indeed the God of Weather in a market that has been more or less blessed with a number of strong meteorologists (Jerry Taft, Steve Baskerville, and Jim Ramsey are honorable mentions)

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

WGN plans to commemorate Skilling's retirement with special events throughout February, leading up to his final day at the station:

* On Friday (February 2), Tom will report from the Groundhog Day event in Woodstock, Illinois during the 7:00 a.m. hour of the WGN Morning News.

* On February 20, Tom will be honored on his 72nd birthday during the WGN Evening News (4:00-7:00 p.m.) with special guests.

* On February 22, a live celebration saluting Tom will air during the 9:00 a.m. hour of the WGN Morning News from the Music Box Theatre (near the North Center and Wrigleyville neighborhoods, not far from the WGN-TV studios). The event will be broadcast before a live audience of over 600 fans; free tickets are being distributed on a first-come, first-served basis as of 9:00 a.m. Thursday (February 1), and can be reserved at the theater's website.

* His final day, February 28, will feature retrospectives and honors by WGN staff, friends and family during the WGN Evening News and the 9:00 and 10:00 p.m. newscasts.

Edited by T.L. Hughes
  • Like 4

I don't live in Chicago, but I even know that Tom Skilling is a legend in not only in Chicago, but in this country. I give my congrats and best wishes on his retirement! He deserves it! 

• Thanks 3

• 3 weeks later...

When Tom first announced his retirement, if you would have said that the last big sticking snow event he was going to cover would be in mid-January, and that he would be covering a possible severe weather outbreak on his penultimate day on the job, most people would have laughed... but it's certainly looking like that's how it's going to play out, based on the latest guidance from the SPC.

However, it's looking like the rain might change over to some wet snow (and probably non-sticking snow considering how warm it'll be for the three days prior) during the day on the 28th, so he might actually get to cover somewhat seasonally-appropriate weather on his very final day.

• Like 2

WGN doing a beautiful job with Skilling's last show.... Unveiled the "Tom Skilling Weather Center", Mark Suppelsa, Dan Roan, Steve Sanders, and a ton more filling the weather center right now along with Skilling's family. 

And of course, Skilling has to introduce and tell a story about everyone in the room.

• Like 3

End of an era. Growing up watching Tom constantly over the past 30 years, it's hard to believe this day has finally come. Enjoy retirement, Tom!

Side note: During the 6pm hour today, they talked about the fact that the parts of the 2005 Nicolas Cage movie The Weatherman was filmed on the WGN News set in 2004, with Tom serving as Assistant Director / advisor behind the scenes.

https://wgntv.com/celebratingskilling/the-making-of-the-weatherman-with-tom-skilling/

Ironically, the movie was filed on WGN's old set in May 2004, but they were on their new 2005 set by the time the movie finally released.

Does anyone know if WGN had to make any special arrangements for their actual newscasts while the movie filmed in their studio? Or was the long break between the Noon newscast and the 9pm newscast back then a long enough gap to do all of the movie filming without disruption to their actual newscasts?

• Like 2

I have been a fan of Skilling since I was young. He is a true legend in Chicago. I will miss his weather reports. Good news is he doesn't plan to go away completely and is not leaving Chicago. 

Here is Skilling's sign off. 

Here is Micah's interview with Skilling. Beautifully done. 

Edited by NBC 5 Chicago
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

I wonder what the long term plans are for the 5pm hour on weekdays. It was decided that upon moving into the Chief Meteorologist role, Demetrius would take the 6pm and keep the 4pm, while leaving the 11am/Noon/5pm open.

Yesterday, it was Mike Janssen covering the 5pm hour. Looks like he's doing the 11am and Noon hours today as well. I'll be curious to see if he'll stay on weekends and share 11am, Noon, and 5pm duties with someone else, or if maybe this will be a bridge to a permanent weekday 11am/Noon/5pm role for him.

If D was doing everything from 4pm on, I think they would possibly opt for a platoon option at midday, but leaving the 5 vacant suggests that SOMEBODY will get a full-time weekday assignment. I'm assuming that it'll be Janssen, Joyce & Donovan until they make an announcement, but I don't think there's any rush.

Semi-related, I never knew they made a sports anchorless 5pm talent rejoin after Dan retired. It's obviously now out of date, but it was just Micah, Ray, Tom & Shannon. I don't like not declaring a sports anchor at the evening hours, but whatever. I hate that they can't officially name JP to the 9. Having a declared sports anchor at 4, but carrying a rotation on all the other shows is so weird.

• Like 1