A fresh start for school news

ATLNewsExpert

Hello everyone!

I've been thinking about doing this post, and sharing this with you all for a while now and so now I am doing it. I've mentioned this once or twice I think on the forum before but I am the founder of my school's news program, I am also in charge of editing, as well as doing our graphics, which I've made myself like the many concepts I've posted on here. We started the program late last school year, here is our first episode.

This is our first episode of the school year when we started to implement a new graphics package

And this is our most recent episode, since our first episode of the year we slighted edited the graphics and started to use a green screen again.

In addition we also do a monthly edition in Spanish. I would most appreciate any feedback y'all could give us on the overall product, from both graphics packages, the sets, and the stories from the collective experience's across the industry from the overall way we do things, etc as we try our best to put out a professional product out each week, as when you look online for other high school news programs, they are not this professional or as concise IMO. Also, we are considering a rebrand in the coming weeks as one of the challenges we have faced is being confused with our school's weekly newsletter which is of the same name. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 6

17 minutes ago, TVLurker said:

visual effects could be better. the set is the best it can possibly be, don't change the set, i am a fan of it.

Thank you so much! You are referring to the green screen set used in our most recent episode right? Thanks! Within the industry I'm not the biggest fan of green screens but since we're on a tight (non existing) budget and we had the green screen lying around we thought why not use it though we'd still like to explore using some form of a real set. That new rebrand we are considering switching to is "Magnet Newsroom" and there is a small room with windows that overlooks our media center, giving the view sort of a newsroom feel but as far as how it would look beyond that we're not sure. Also the lighting is bad in there, the lights weren't replaced with brighter ones unlike the rest of our building recently. Both sets seen in that video (the beginning one and the one that darkens at the end) I based them off European sets as I am a fan of most design's coming from there (sets and graphics) and I'm glad it seemed to pay off! In regard to "visual effects", do you mean the overall graphics package (I assume you mean the one we're currently using) or certain aspects of it? I made a concept based off the new CBS O&O look that we might use for the rebrand as well.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

Magnet Newsroom has launched, first a few things.

1) With the rebrand, we have moved officially into that spare room I mentioned, trying our best to create a decent set in it. In the coming weeks, we are wanting to 3D print our new logo, (The three hexagons in a box, a motif to the new CBS O&O logo designs and our school's official logo) and hang it up on that bare wall you see at the end, it is going to be huge!

2) We recognize two things, that their were MANY pronunciation errors in this edition and the lighting was TERRIBLE. We plan on purchasing some overhead lights to fix that. 

3) With the new graphics, we also have a voiceover, Rebeckka Schram of WANF!

Please fill free to leave any comments, questions, or suggestions as we continue experimenting around with our product!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hello everyone, our latest edition of "Magnet Newsroom", we reintroduced the headlines segment, using a new transition and AR which I'm very pleased with and our very first on-sciences report, we hope to do this throughout the rest of the year with various students (preferably freshmen and sophomores) to find some potential successors for our current anchor team. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/12/2023 at 4:22 PM, ATLNewsExpert said:

Hello everyone, our latest edition of "Magnet Newsroom", we reintroduced the headlines segment, using a new transition and AR which I'm very pleased with and our very first on-sciences report, we hope to do this throughout the rest of the year with various students (preferably freshmen and sophomores) to find some potential successors for our current anchor team. 

That is pretty darn impressive. Is YouTube the only method of distributing these videos either Live or recorded? Just for privacy reasons I’d suggest deleting the past. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone, here with our latest edition of "Magnet Newsroom", our election special for student council. Very excited we got Russ Spencer of WAGA to be our announcer for this coverage. In addition, why is the episode so long? We got an interview with our superintendent this week so glad we could get that out before the holiday season (he has never done a local news outlet interview, even when some particular instances arise in the district) and for our students, a special holiday message from all teachers/staff/admin. Very proud of this product, as it is the last episode we will do of 2023, our first year in existence, kind of brings everything full circle. All feedback is always welcome!

On 12/2/2023 at 10:05 AM, rkolsen said:

That is pretty darn impressive. Is YouTube the only method of distributing these videos either Live or recorded? Just for privacy reasons I’d suggest deleting the past. 

Thank you so much? For now, I would say so. Because of all the work that goes into each episode, we can't do them live but regardless that's kind of what we're looking at. In addition, YouTube is the best way (for now) to ensure parents and families are able to see it. One of our major problem's we've encountered is increasing viewership as it's up to teacher's discretion on if they show it in class, and a bunch other factors.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone,

Posting on this thread not because of another newscast but because I'm looking for possible help, with our "set". We of course are always wanting to improve our product, that's why we've changed graphics, cameras, etc, 

One of the ways which we feel that we really haven't improved on when we should, is the set, just four white walls, a monitor, and windows, but that's kind of hard with a non-existent budget.

Could anyone perhaps be of assistance to see if any stations or networks (so I guess I mean the cable ones by that, has CNN completely vacated the CNN center, wonder what happened to studio 7) in our area (outside of Atlanta but of course it seems like the ATL stations won't be getting a new set anytime soon), so roughly most of Georgia, are on a temporary set or have some spare set species they would be willing to give up?

Thanks for any and all advice and feedback as always!

• Like 6

8 hours ago, ATLNewsExpert said:

Hello everyone,

Posting on this thread not because of another newscast but because I'm looking for possible help, with our "set". We of course are always wanting to improve our product, that's why we've changed graphics, cameras, etc, 

One of the ways which we feel that we really haven't improved on when we should, is the set, just four white walls, a monitor, and windows, but that's kind of hard with a non-existent budget.

Could anyone perhaps be of assistance to see if any stations or networks (so I guess I mean the cable ones by that, has CNN completely vacated the CNN center, wonder what happened to studio 7) in our area (outside of Atlanta but of course it seems like the ATL stations won't be getting a new set anytime soon), so roughly most of Georgia, are on a temporary set or have some spare set species they would be willing to give up?

Thanks for any and all advice and feedback as always!

I know it's far, but WVUE in New Orleans is likely getting a new set when they move to their new building sometime in the next 12 months. Other than that you could check around at neighboring markets (it is possible that WTVM in Columbus gets a new set prior to their transition to GrayONE, but I am treading close to speculation) for future set availabilities.

Edited by HSV cheesehead
Added quote

Small set update. Before we relied on those windows in the front of the side room, but now we just moved away from that, moving our video screen to the opposite side of the room. Also moved is that backdrop we printed out, and our logo sign, moved to adjacent sides of the screen. That part of the update came earlier this week, today we added the double stand, added some greenery, our mic flag (better to just keep it there for storage too, as retrieving it from our sponsor teacher's room was always a hassle), and an actual flag.

IMG_20240118_140330.jpg

IMG_20240118_161724.jpg

IMG_20240118_161723.jpg

IMG_20240118_140358.jpg

IMG_20240118_140437.jpg

IMG_20240118_161727.jpg

IMG_20240118_140525.jpg

• Like 1

Hello everyone,

Our latest episode, extremely proud of it and how it turned out! We returned to using the green screen in part for the headlines, with the background based off of how CNN uses studio A/B for News Central, also in love with the updated set and how it flows on air.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, ATLNewsExpert said:

Hello everyone,

Our latest episode, extremely proud of it and how it turned out! We returned to using the green screen in part for the headlines, with the background based off of how CNN uses studio A/B for News Central, also in love with the updated set and how it flows on air.

Wow, this is the first time I’m seeing this project, but it looks fantastic! Seems like a wonderful way to introduce high school kids to video journalism (and journalism in general). They certainly seem really enthusiastic about it. Good for you guys.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Geoffrey said:

Nicely done with the graphics. Not to nit pick but I highly recommend getting microphones and making sure your audience can easily hear your talent.

Thank you so much, and really, thank you to everyone for the kind words, really proud of how far we've come in every aspect, from graphics and editing (Which I handle) to the set, reporting, and what all we've done! Just before Christmas we interviewed our superintendent! I 💯 agree with you Geoffrey, that's the area I want to focus on next, fixing the audio! 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone, back with two newscasts. 

Here is our most recent one, released today, to sort of show we're working off of feedback, @Geoffrey I discovered a way in my editor that actually significantly increases each files' audio, hope it show's in this newscast and future one's as well.

And our second to most recent episode, where we interviewed a member of our Board of Education, really proud with how the interview turned out, we used three cameras for that professional look, one camera on the interviewer, one on the guest, and one wide shot for both. 

Also, just today I updated our YouTube channel with new thumbnails! As always, all feedback, comments, questions, are welcome!

• Like 4