CW / ACC Coverage

tyrannical bastard

I don't think so. They used the Bally graphics when this package aired on Bally Sports last season. Plus, they are using their own full screen graphics and their own theme music. My guess is, given they announced this deal Mid-July, they probably didn't have enough time to put together a full graphics package since they only had a month and a half to make it happen. Using the ESPN inserts is probably just temporary for this year or maybe just a few months. Curious to see how this will work for ACC Basketball since ESPN have a different graphics look for College Hoops. I wonder if they will do the same thing there.

Edited by CTrey98

28 minutes ago, caliwxdude said:

Since ESPN is running the technical production for these games, I think you'll be seeing the ESPN look for the foreseeable future. 

Raycom Sports is actually handling production; they just happen to use ESPN’s graphics. I believe they also produce a number of ESPN games as well (though I could be wrong).

EDIT: The games they produce are sublicensed from ESPN, and they use the ESPN look, but Raycom is ultimately running production.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/38007548/acc-cw-strike-broadcast-deal-air-50-football-basketball-games

Edited by nycnewsjunkie

7 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Bally, being a competing sports network was able to port their graphics package to Raycom to produce the ACC games they did in the past.

As for the CW?  Seems like Nexstar didn't want to pay the extra $50 to come up with another graphics package.

It's no secret Nexstar is likely running tight budget with The CW since they are trying to make the network profitable again. So it makes sense they wouldn't want to go over budget just to create a full graphics package for their College Football telecasts in a month and a half. They'll eventually do their own graphics package when they get to year 2 of the ACC telecasts. They just need more time to create a full graphics package. You can't rush perfection, unless you're willing to pay a lot for it.

• Like 4

• 2 months later...
14 minutes ago, CoopInTheHouse said:

Courtside Saturday on The CW has officially “tipped off” today with Notre Dame vs #8 Miami and #7 Duke vs Georgia Tech. No pictures yet, but I can tell it ain’t the ESPN College Basketball graphics they’re using.

Not sure if i love it yet

855D2B16-5A8C-4C39-94C9-6CF5298CC09E.jpeg

6 hours ago, racefan_09 said:

Not sure if i love it yet

855D2B16-5A8C-4C39-94C9-6CF5298CC09E.jpeg

Not a big fan of the look. So many things to touch but I'll keep it short. I like the fact they are trying to go for a clean futuristic feel but it's just executed horribly. If you're going to a super wide scorebug, at least find a way to put the school logos in with all that space. Another annoying thing is the network logo placement, I don't get why networks like NBC do this but you shouldn't have your TV logo in the scorebug and as a screenbug in the top right corner. Makes it look repetitive and a mess. Just make up your mind and keep it in one area in order to keep it simple and effective. The last thing is the font, not sure why they made the clock use a skinny font and the period and shot clock bolded. Makes it very hard to see for viewers. Overall, they definitely have some work to do but at least they are finally going their own creative direction. I'm glad to see that the ESPN graphics was just a temporary solution just to get their ACC broadcasts up and running in a short time frame.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, CTrey98 said:

I'm glad to see that the ESPN graphics was just a temporary solution just to get their ACC broadcasts up and running in a short time frame.

It’s important to note that the bottom-third ESPN graphic known as the ESPN BottomLine, which you’ll see a picture of here… ESPNBottomLIneasofAugust2018-ESPNBottomLine-Wikipedia.thumb.png.4f305d037a766370a6b7045eca5234ec.pngactually mentioned The CW when a football (now basketball, found that out while watching College Gameday this morning) game was gonna be broadcast on the channel. So probably not what you’re thinking.

• Like 2
  • Concerned 1

7 hours ago, susquvalleywgal said:

It's something to work and bulid on.  It's not bad.  It's not great either.

-- Matt

I do like they leaned into their longtime font rather than the 'Dare to Defy' font with the design; it's clean and simple in that sense, but I'm just tired of oversized scoreboards. Whenever scoreboards compress to show some stat it looks much better in a smaller form than as a full-screen banner, but sadly vertical video has made a middle score compulsory for social sharing.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

What is the deal between cw and acc?  Did NBC try to get a deal with this conference? I would assume they would attempt to because they're trying to build peacock as a destination for sports programming or at least put the games on USA network. Also, how did the cw get the bowl game?  Did NBC make a bid on it to try to put it on peacock or usa?

Edited by JTT