Giant Octopus 2003 work samples

qunewsguy

I'm working on tossing old CDs and DVDs I've had laying around and I came across these work sample images taken from Giant Octopus' website in 2003. Probably the peak of their design trendyness. It's amazing how much things have changed in 20 years!

cn8.jpg

kctv.jpg

kgmb.jpg

km3.jpg

kmgh.jpg

kntv.jpg

kolo.jpg

kptv.jpg

kris.jpg

krqe.jpg

kstu.jpg

kttv.jpg

ktvx.jpg

ky3.jpg

wate.jpg

wbbm.jpg

wbns.jpg

wcpo.jpg

wdaf.jpg

wjw.jpg

wlex.jpg

wnem.jpg

wowk.jpg

wptv.jpg

wreg.jpg

wzvn.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 7

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, PowerTVNewsFan said:

I have to argue that today's main design trend is almost a regression in terms of technical capabilities.

Yet there seems to be many non-flat haters out there.

It’s all about efficiency these days.  Flat renders faster and is scalable across multiple stations in a group.  But I agree - I miss the distinctive branding you’d see across stations.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, ttvn2000 said:

It’s all about efficiency these days.  Flat renders faster and is scalable across multiple stations in a group.  But I agree - I miss the distinctive branding you’d see across stations.

I was sort of getting at the subtle "Your flashy CGI graphics are cluttered crap and European style rules" crowd. Wanting everything to be like Europe is becoming almost overrated (this is addressed to American TV graphics specifically as I know that there are many Europeans on here too). Not saying it can't go too far the other way either, like WSVN/WHDH in the 90s and early 00s with their over-the-top tabloid format.

• Like 1

Not to derail this thread but a lot of broadcast design has trended digital-first in the last few years. Heavy 3D and gradients look horrible on highly compressed video formats and contribute to visual clutter. Had smartphones not taken off I think design trends would have gone in a completely different direction.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, qunewsguy said:

Not to derail this thread but a lot of broadcast design has trended digital-first in the last few years. Heavy 3D and gradients look horrible on highly compressed video formats and contribute to visual clutter. Had smartphones not taken off I think design trends would have gone in a completely different direction.

THIS! Makes sense as the whole perception even in the 90's and 00's was that in the decades to come was graphics were going to become heavily 3D based, which was of course before the rise of smart phones and people getting their news through forms other then TV, look at the Onion's prediction for 2137!

• Like 1