WCBS New/Refreshed Set

WNPM Newswatch

Kind of unnecessary, especially considering other NYC sets. Lets just hope the set looks just as good if not better with this refresh, sure it became the carbon copy for a few other O&O stations and it's not a big set by any means but it still looks good, simple but modern. Here's hoping!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Georgie56 said:

Since 2017. The CBS O&O set began rolling out in 2016.

Sheesh didn’t realize it was that far back. KPIX only got the O&O  Desk and Podium in February 2020 during Super Bowl

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Spring Rubber said:

Seems like something they should have done leading up to the rebrand, not a few months after the rebrand. Very strange to be stuck on a temp set while trying to grow the new branding.

One would think so, right?!

I feel like that’s how things “used to be” - make a big splash with a whole new look - set, graphics, music, logo, etc.  Now, those kind of launches are rare and it’s all done piecemeal without a strategy behind it.

*off my soapbox*

Edited by ttvn2000
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, ttvn2000 said:

One would think so, right?!

I feel like that’s how things “used to be” - make a big splash with a whole new look - set, graphics, music, logo, etc.  Now, those kind of launches are rare and it’s all done piecemeal without a strategy behind it.

*off my soapbox*

I probably would venture away from "without a strategy" being that a set refresh is something that is planned will in advance as we always point out in these threads. We need to remember that delays always happen, and there are still supplies that have long lead lead times and sometimes permitting takes long as well. I work at theme park, and no matter how much you plan something, things still can put well off your plan. They very well may have had a plan to do it all at once, but something threw that off.

• Like 6

Sounds like they're expecting the new studio to be ready in about three weeks, which seems pretty fast compared to their past new studios. I'm wondering if it's only a partial upgrade -- perhaps replacing the background monitor array so that the graphics aren't covered by the distracting bezel lines. The current set is also the first one since they returned to Studio 46 in 2003 that didn't take advantage of the full 360 degrees. Would be nice to see them make better use of the space with more usable areas the way they used to.

4 hours ago, Bsean said:

I probably would venture away from "without a strategy" being that a set refresh is something that is planned will in advance as we always point out in these threads. We need to remember that delays always happen, and there are still supplies that have long lead lead times and sometimes permitting takes long as well. I work at theme park, and no matter how much you plan something, things still can put well off your plan. They very well may have had a plan to do it all at once, but something threw that off.

that’s fair - could’ve worded it differently.  

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Ryan said:

I could be wrong but, when I saw this story they showed a map from what it looks like a new big screen in the new studio. 

I'm pretty sure that's from the network DC set. And no, I doubt that was live – it was probably taped too.

image.png

Edited by C Block
  • Like 3

I'm definitely surprised that the studio is expected to be ready in just a few weeks (I also haven't seen a source confirm this but I'm guessing Mary mentioned it?). Seems like a minor refresh compared to a complete overhaul (for instance WPIX's new studio took nearly 9 months to complete but that involved major construction). 

Also agree with some others who don't think that this is really necessary, considering WCBS had one of the nicest studios in the NYC market (I'd personally now give WPIX an edge), although the bar is pretty low with WNBC and WABC. WABC's studio is starting to look very dated, but noticed they used a liveshot behind the anchor during the haze episode, and that actually looked better than their normal background.

But back to WCBS, I'm guessing this will look like a compromise between KCAL and KYW. I could see the green screen being retired as well in favor of a video wall for weather.

• Like 2

On 6/7/2023 at 2:52 PM, kshow said:

Wow. Didn't see that coming. The "old" set held up well. Still better than a lot of the NYC stations. 

Agreed.

On 6/7/2023 at 3:02 PM, ATLNewsExpert said:

Kind of unnecessary, especially considering other NYC sets. Lets just hope the set looks just as good if not better with this refresh, sure it became the carbon copy for a few other O&O stations and it's not a big set by any means but it still looks good, simple but modern. Here's hoping!

Agreed x2

On 6/7/2023 at 3:11 PM, 24994J said:

KCAL's is nice. KYW's is great. I doubt WCBS is going to debut anything remotely poor.

Hopefully it looks like KCAL's set.

• Like 2

On 6/7/2023 at 12:16 PM, WNPM Newswatch said:

Mary Calvi just announced on the noon newscast that big changes are coming as they are updating their news set. They are on a temporary set until the set is finished. The new set will be unveiled at the end of the month. 

If the original announcement is to be believed and they are still on schedule, the new/updated studio should debut this week. They tend to like doing things Wednesdays at noon.

As expected, it seems CBS 2 just updated the two big video screens to get rid of the distracting bezel lines, which were outdated the instant this studio debuted years ago. It's possible the screen on the desk was also updated as it seems clearer to me, but I'm not positive. (The graphic on the desk seems pretty redundant with the background.. Would be nice to see something less repetitive.)

image.thumb.png.8420508159ac6448fc180d069d03d244.png

image.thumb.png.9a4499128764d1853c50c637cbf8ef9f.png

Some less significant bezels remain.

image.thumb.png.cb711ac21384ada37b17d0d737120b98.png

Edited by Geoffrey
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Geoffrey said:

As expected, it seems CBS 2 just updated the two big video screens to get rid of the distracting bezel lines, which were outdated the instant this studio debuted years ago. It's possible the screen on the desk was also updated as it seems clearer to me, but I'm not positive. (The graphic on the desk seems pretty redundant with the background.. Would be nice to see something less repetitive.)

image.thumb.png.8420508159ac6448fc180d069d03d244.png

image.thumb.png.9a4499128764d1853c50c637cbf8ef9f.png

Some less significant bezels remain.

image.thumb.png.cb711ac21384ada37b17d0d737120b98.png

Wonder why this took 3 weeks?