2023-24 Syndication News

Georgie56

21 hours ago, Abraham J. Simpson said:

Wait, signing off is a matter of the public interest? Huh?

No, a courtesy. But if the FCC were to somehow impose the degree of which stations can serve the public interest to such an extent, it would likely result in the scenario I mentioned where after the late night shows conclude, the stations will simply defer to their network's overnight news feed, and it's important to note that the Big Three already have their own streaming news channels now on IPTV (ABC News Live, CBS News Streaming, NBC News Now).

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, SS8609 said:

No, a courtesy. But if the FCC were to somehow impose the degree of which stations can serve the public interest to such an extent, it would likely result in the scenario I mentioned where after the late night shows conclude, the stations will simply defer to their network's overnight news feed, and it's important to note that the Big Three already have their own streaming news channels now on IPTV (ABC News Live, CBS News Streaming, NBC News Now).

A courtesy…to who? It’s not a courtesy to anyone. 

• Like 3

Warner Bros./Telepictures has ordered True Crime News for 2024–25, with Fox picking up the show for its stations.

The show's concept sounds a lot like the original 2015–16 format of Crime Watch Daily, which was also distributed by Telepictures/WBTD, when Matt Doran (who was replaced by Chris Hansen for its final two seasons) was the original host.

Edited by T.L. Hughes
  • Like 2

On a semi-random note (a thought brought on by Mayim Bialik's ousting at Jeopardy), it's kind of interesting that we're well past the era of "career" Game Show Hosts. Like, the days of having Bob Barker, Alex Trebek, Bill Cullen, Wink Martindale, Tom Kennedy, etc are behind us now and it's really a shame.

It's like they now throw in someone from some other medium to be game show hosts now, like comedians, actors and sports personalities. Like we now have Michael Strahan (sports) on Pyramid. Steve Harvey (comedian) on Family Feud. "Blossom" was (partially) the host of Jeopardy.

Do you think we'll ever see game shows go back to a model of having hosts that specialize in game shows?

Edited by TresGriffin
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, TresGriffin said:

On a semi-random note (a thought brought on by Mayim Bialik's ousting at Jeopardy), it's kind of interesting that we're well past the era of "career" Game Show Hosts. Like, the days of having Bob Barker, Alex Trebek, Bill Cullen, Wink Martindale, Tom Kennedy, etc are behind us now and it's really a shame.

It's like they now throw in someone from some other medium to be game show hosts now, like comedians, actors and sports personalities. Like we now have Michael Strahan (sports) on Pyramid. Steve Harvey (comedian) on Family Feud. "Blossom" was (partially) the host of Jeopardy.

Do you think we'll ever see game shows go back to a model of having hosts that specialize in game shows?

I don’t think so. The role of career game show hosts made more sense when game shows were in greater demand by the networks to fill out the morning and afternoon hours.

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with having people who don’t strictly host game shows do just that; to me, comedians are especially great in that role. Keep in mind, it isn’t anything new. Dick Clark was primarily known as an DJ, not as a game show host. Alex Trebek was a CBC DJ before he hosted game shows. Pat Sajak was a local weatherman. The only modern example of a career game show host that I can think of is Jeff Probst.

Edited by nycnewsjunkie
  • Like 4
  • Sad 1

Pat Finn as an example was a weathercaster and reporter. He segued into hosting as part of a career path. He may have bounced from comparatively short-lived show to show, but someone like Pat Sajak, Drew Carey or Wayne Brady have made a career of their shows…they’ve just run for a nice long time. 😃

On 1/22/2024 at 8:38 PM, Abraham J. Simpson said:

Those game show hosts also came from other fields. They were not sent down from on high to become game show hosts from day 1. Alex Trebek’s own book details how he wound up where he did.

That’s actually putting it lightly. Drew Carey and Wayne Brady certainly never set out to be game show hosts any more than the “career game show hosts” have. I remember watching Drew’s interview with Alex Trebek for a game show documentary; his initial reaction to the offer to host TPIR was something along the lines of “I don’t want to host that old man’s show.” Of course, he’s become such a natural at the gig that you’d never know that if he didn’t say it.

• Sad 1

41 minutes ago, Abraham J. Simpson said:

And Steve Harvey has done Feud something like 20 years, far longer than the likes of Dawson and Combs hosted. 

*14 years this year

Edited by MediaZone4K

On 1/17/2024 at 5:03 AM, AmericanErrorist said:

With the premiere of After Midnight, CBS says farewell to Comics Unleashed.

Recently (this week I think?) I saw a brief part of After Midnight on KTVT, then Comics Unleashed was on afterward.  IDK if that was a KTVT deal, or if that was a network thing.

1 hour ago, east-tx-tv said:

Recently (this week I think?) I saw a brief part of After Midnight on KTVT, then Comics Unleashed was on afterward.  IDK if that was a KTVT deal, or if that was a network thing.

It’s on KTVT’s end, they have the show on their late night schedule. I was tricked, too; I thought CBS had kept it around.

2 hours ago, east-tx-tv said:

1 hour ago, Georgie56 said:

It’s on KTVT’s end, they have the show on their late night schedule. I was tricked, too; I thought CBS had kept it around.

Comics Unleashed has been syndicated on some of the O&O’s for a while. But that wouldn’t have been a bad idea to only have After Midnight run for 30 minutes like the original and then kept a run of Comics Unleashed at 1:07.

• Like 1

True Crime News sounds like Crime Watch Daily, I did like the format for season 1 of Crime Watch Daily with Matt Doran I don't get why they dropped him for Chris for the last 2 seasons of Crime Watch Daily. Kinda sounds like it is more a test run for fall 2024 maybe more TV station groups will sign on for True Crime Daily.

I think what hurt Crime Watch Daily being canceled was a failed merger between Sinclair & Tribune in spring of 2017 as Tribune was the station group that signed up for the show in for the 2015 syndication season. I apologize if this isn't a thread I should have posted this.

• Like 1