2023-24 Syndication News

Georgie56

On 10/17/2023 at 4:56 PM, mrschimpf said:

Pretty easy to explain that one (WVTV-DT2 does the same thing); they want the network to start on time for the sake of DVRs and just throwing on episodes of iCrime in that 9-10 timeslot that aren't critical to watch in full is a good buffer to assure it starts at 10 in case the game does go into overtime or runs late because of a weather delay.

Not to mention the painful, crushing injury a player may get on the field (though since high school football players for the most part are minors save for a few older kids, that may be controversial since some news orgs have policies against releasing the names of minors without permission).

As for using iCrime as a buffer, that isn't surprising since it is for the most part filler programming just like most if not all of Trifecta's syndication product.

• Like 2
  • Concerned 1

41 minutes ago, SS8609 said:

Not to mention the painful, crushing injury a player may get on the field (though since high school football players for the most part are minors save for a few older kids, that may be controversial since some news orgs have policies against releasing the names of minors without permission).

For the most part these are games are played by public schools on public property and team rosters are publicly available (same with private schools), so there are no privacy concerns here. Please stay on topic.

• Like 7

I'm not surprised that Judy Justice was going to be cleared for syndication was a matter of time that Amazon was going to sell it to TV station groups across America, I wouldn't be surprised if Judy Justice goes against her older show Judge Judy.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Megatron81 said:

I'm not surprised that Judy Justice was going to be cleared for syndication was a matter of time that Amazon was going to sell it to TV station groups across America, I wouldn't be surprised if Judy Justice goes against her older show Judge Judy.

Technically, Sox Entertainment (don’t know how new to the distribution game it is) is the one distributing it. Seems odd that Amazon didn’t assert syndication rights to Judy Justice through MGM.

Edited by T.L. Hughes
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/17/2023 at 5:49 PM, Megatron81 said:

I thought that Dateline moved to the NBC O&O in LA? I didn't know it was still on the Fox O&O MyNet TV in LA.

It’s part of MyNetTV’s network primetime lineup. The NBC O&Os have it as part of their daytime syndication package. 

10 hours ago, TVNewsLover said:

It’s part of MyNetTV’s network primetime lineup. The NBC O&Os have it as part of their daytime syndication package. 

Actually, in this case, it isn't. KNBC did not pick up Dateline. The station is clearing the live East Coast feed of NBC Nightly News at 3:30. They added a 3 p.m. newscast leading into Lester. Thus, no room to clear Dateline. KTTV is airing it at 11:30 p.m. This is unrelated to the MyNet feed. 

• Like 1

I'm glad to see Dr Phil reruns dipping into the archives and not just playing episodes from the last 4 to 5 years. They were even doing so when the show was making new episodes.

Similarly, I also like that Judge Mathis had a flashback case segment within newly released episodes.

l know long running sydicated shows have an aversion to "dated" episodes but they are cool to see. 

Edited by MediaZone4K
  • Like 3

Divorce Court with Starr Jones now in Season 25  is releasing full season 2 episodes with Judge Mablean, on YouTube.

Unlike Judges Lynn, Faith and Starr, Mablean was deciding matters like spousal support, and (I believe) actually granting divorces, on top of small claims about issues like disputed goods. 

Lynn, Faith and Starr's eras were basically couple mediation sessions where advice is doled out with hardly anything being ruled upon. What caused this shift? 

Edited by MediaZone4K

welp we got a wild change coming in down here in Orlando 

the 9am news on WKMG is….gone. entirely. no warning or anything. just gone after 6 years. the Drew Barrymore show is now on at 9am for a full hour (the third timeslot move it’s had since WKMG got the rights in June). entertainment tonight now has 2 runs (for the first time since WESH/WKCF split runs in 2013 I think it was) at 3pm and 7:30pm. news 6 takeover remains at 3:30pm. the 1:37am drew barrymore is back to inside edition. 

only change coming out of Orlando so far. everybody else has settled in to their schedules

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Matt S. said:

the 9am news on WKMG is….gone. entirely. no warning or anything. just gone after 6 years. the Drew Barrymore show is now on at 9am for a full hour (the third timeslot move it’s had since WKMG got the rights in June). entertainment tonight now has 2 runs (for the first time since WESH/WKCF split runs in 2013 I think it was) at 3pm and 7:30pm. news 6 takeover remains at 3:30pm. the 1:37am drew barrymore is back to inside edition. 

only change coming out of Orlando so far. everybody else has settled in to their schedules

Probably could’ve made like the CBS O&Os and shortened the 9am newscast to a half-hour and put Drew at 9:30.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Matt S. said:

I didn’t think ET was allowed to air before 6pm similar to Wheel of Fortune. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Nelson R. said:

I didn’t think ET was allowed to air before 6pm similar to Wheel of Fortune. 

It aired at 4pm for a long time on some stations, including WBBM; like Inside Edition they push out editions every half hour with updates if needed up to a certain time.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Here's something from the Houston area in terms of weekend syndication that @SS8609 may have missed: In addition to "iCrime" airing at 3:30am on KPRC, KTXH (who had aired season 1 on weekday last season) also airs five episodes said show on their Saturday afternoon lineup prior to a movie presentation (or "Whacked Out Sports" or other programming, depending on the length of the movie).

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Georgie56 said:

Bialik and Jennings were pretty good. Found it strange that they opted for alternating dual hosts, but it worked.

Bialik aside, Jeopardy had a gargantuan task in filling Trebek's shoes, unfortunately it seems any successor candidate has come under intense public scrutiny. It's just a gameshow hosting job, not the presidency, give the new host a chance.

Edited by MediaZone4K
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, MediaZone4K said:

Bialik and Jennings were pretty good. Found it strange that they opted for alternating dual hosts, but it worked.

Bialik aside, Jeopardy had a gargantuan task in filling Trebek's shoes, unfortunately it seems any successor candidate has come under intense public scrutiny. It's just a gameshow hosting job, not the presidency, give the new host a chance.

Yeah, I didn’t mind the idea of two hosts at all, and I never really understood why people took issue with it. The show has always been about contestants, not the people who stand behind the podium, and I’m sure Trebek and Fleming would both concur with that statement.

I wasn’t crazy about Bialik, but she seemed like a genuinely nice person who, by many accounts, got on really well with the staff there.

EDIT: It looks like she might (emphasis on “might”) be staying on as host of the celebrity show. From USA Today

"We are truly grateful for all of Mayim’s contributions to Jeopardy!, and we hope to continue to work with her on primetime specials," the statement concludes.

Edited by nycnewsjunkie
  • Like 6
  • Sad 1

The Conners reruns are coming to CW starting January 4. Didn’t have this on my bingo card. Unclear if this means they won’t be on local stations this fall. This is similar to when Full House reruns landed on NBC at 11am summer of 1991.

https://fxtwitter.com/tvcancelbeast/status/1736485697958072777?s=46&t=L_8SY8aG39Aa8y7vEhNEAw

Edited by Nelson R.
Embed

I didn't see that coming The Connor's repeats on The CW starting Jan 4TH better than repeats of Who's Line, Penn & Teller etc. I'll check what CW7 in West Michigan will be filling in 8PM to 10PM block M-F on Jan 1 when they are no longer CW7 as they are rebranding as ARC West Michigan. 

Major changes coming Jan 1 in West Michigan, I'll say this could've done the afternoon in the fall why they waited until now I don't get it, for CW7/ARC WMI. I'm calling the new CW as CW6 as that is where Charter Spectrum put it. Sorry for the list I know it is frond pond around here.

ARC WMI:

Mathis Court moves to 11AM to 11:30AM was 2:30PM,

Justice For The People 11:30AM to 12PM only getting a half hour only was a full hour at 3PM,

Cutlers Court 12:30PM to 1PM was on at 2PM,

The Jerry Springer Show repeats 2PM to 3PM,

Steve Wilkos returns after 2 years 3PM to 4PM,

25 Words Or Less Gets a full hour 5Pm to 6PM,

The National Desk 8PM to 8:30PM,

Daytime Jeopardy 8:30PM to 9PM was on at 5PM,

The Kelly Clarkson Show 9PM to 10PM,

The Liquidator Sat 6PM to 7PM,

Bob's Burger Sat 8PM to 9PM,

The Equalizer Sat 9PM to 10PM,

The Listener Sun 2PM to 3PM,

Last Man Standing Sun 8PM to 9PM which was full hour Sun 5PM,

Seal Team Sun 9PM to 10PM,

Pure Outdoors Late Sun/Early Mon 12:30AM to 1AM.

CW6:

6:30AM to 9AM is the fake Byron Allen Court Shows,

Sherri 9AM to 10AM,

The Jennifer Hudson Show 10AM to 11AM,

Judge Mathis 11AM to 12PM,

The People's Court 12PM to 1PM,

Pawn Stars 2PM to 3PM never did get a full hour when it was 5 days a week from 2016-18 been weekend only since 2018 on WXSP,

Funny You Should Ask 3PM to 3:30PM,

Who The Bleep Is That 3:30PM to 4PM,

Mom 4PM to 4:30PM,

The King Of Queens 4:30PM to 5PM, 

Court Cam full hour 6PM to 7PM,

Extra returns to access prime after a decade 7PM to 7:30PM,

TMZ 7:30PM to 8PM 3X on the Nexstar sister stations,

L&O SVU 10:30PM to 11:30PM,

Chi Fire/PD 11:30PM to 1:30AM on the weekend on the Nexstar sister stations,

Forensic Files 1:30AM to 2AM late Sun/early Mon on WXSP,

The World Poker Tour 7 days a week 2AM to 3AM,

Karamo 3AM to 4AM,

TMZ Live M-F which Fri will air early Mon 4AM to 5AM 3X the Nexstar sister stations,

Deadline To Disaster Sat 5PM to 6PM,

Extra Weekend edition 6PM to 7PM,

TMZ Weekend edition 7PM to 8PM,

Court Cam Sat 10:30PM to 11PM,

World Chase Tag Sat 11PM to 12AM,

The First 48 late Sat/early Sun 12AM to 2AM,

Highway Thru Hell Early Sun 3AM to 4AM,

In Depth With Graham Bensinger Sun 10AM to 11AM,

Game Time with Boomer Sun 11AM to 11:30AM,

RaceWeek Sun 11:30AM to 12PM,

First 48 Sun 2PM to 4PM,

Storm Of Suspicion Sun 4PM to 5PM,

Weather Gone Viral Sun 5PM to 6PM,

SOS: How To Survive Sun 6PM to 7PM,

Court Cam Sun 10:30PM to 11PM,

Deadline To Disaster Sun 11PM to 12AM,

Weird Earth Late Sun/Early Mon 12AM to 1AM,

Highway Thru Hell Late Sun/Early Mon 1AM to 2AM,

Entertainers Early Mon 3AM to 4AM.       

Edited by Megatron81
  • Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/15/2023 at 9:51 PM, H-Town TV Fan said:

Here's something from the Houston area in terms of weekend syndication that @SS8609 may have missed: In addition to "iCrime" airing at 3:30am on KPRC, KTXH (who had aired season 1 on weekday last season) also airs five episodes said show on their Saturday afternoon lineup prior to a movie presentation (or "Whacked Out Sports" or other programming, depending on the length of the movie).

Yes, I am aware that iCrime airs on the weekends on KTXH as filler material between E/I and movie or sports programming (primarily content that previously aired on KIAH before The CW added sports), thank you for the input @H-Town TV Fan! It also wouldn't shock me if it and Court Cam are being used as filler on KPRC overnight before weekdays to make up for NBC not having an overnight news program to fill the dead space between Late Night and Early Today (as KPRC does with Byron Allen-distributed programming, Funny You Should Ask being one such example).

Ideally, the networks would be wise to simulcast their national news streaming platforms in the graveyard slot, as KPRC does in the 1 a.m. hour with Top Story, if not for the fact that some network affiliates (particularly in smaller markets) might fill the space with other syndicated filler to compensate for there not being a fifth or sixth station in a given market, and also given the instant $$$ some get airing infomercials in this period. It would also be nice for stations to use the dead space to do a "sign-off" legalese after the last scheduled non-infomercial or non-overnight news program of the day + a "sign-on" before the early morning newscasts, but even though Gray and Nexstar have done so, others probably won't do that either unless the FCC or NAB/NCTA find a way for broadcasters to effectively serve the public interest in harmony with the Constitution (which itself rendered the Television Code moot in the early 80s). And even there, with 200+ streaming channels, services, etc. these days (though some I would say are relatively useless, particularly on linear cable), that would be an onerous task for any broadcaster to fill.

Edited by SS8609