2023-24 Syndication News

Georgie56

1 hour ago, bpatrick said:

I don't doubt they'll get another year.  However, if I were a CBS affiliate manager, I wouldn't dare drop either show but I'd be praying for the day I could expand my noon newscast to an hour and go head-to-head with the ABC, NBC, or even Fox affiliates from 12-1.  I know, there are a few stations doing it (WLKY, KOTV, to name two) but right now I don't think many stations want to mess up viewing habits in the middle of the day.

Y&R staying on CBS and B&B going to Paramount Plus would solve that, since I don’t think the B&B going to an hour/Talk getting cancelled scenario will ever come to pass. The only bad thing would be CT getting Y&R a whole hour ahead of ET. 

Maybe Y&R to 1 and B&B to 2 and Talk shortened to 30 minutes. There’s no soap on ABC or NBC at 1 anymore for Y&R to get a jump on. 

Edited by Nelson R.

NBC may be experimenting with the Days on Peacock deal, but we have yet to see just how long that is really going to last. Would it work on Paramount Plus? That's dubious to be generous. And the Talk is never being cut to 30 minutes. B&B will go away before that happens. 

Y&R at 12:30 ET for a long time put it head to head with other soaps, not getting a jump. (Loving, anyone? Port Charles?)  It's more a vestige of having an extra half hour of programming, not competing with another soap. Competition is everything--news, syndication, all of it. Y&R is at as much a disadvantage in areas where other hour long programs have started on the hour and it's at :30.

If CBS can milk more money out of their remaining shows, more power to them. We all know the future isn't long term, but take the cash now, and when it's time to move on, just move on. 

• Sad 1

I think the idea was to get a jump on All My Children and Days Of Our Lives; for a little over a year in 1980-81 all three soaps were on at 1 (ET).  Ryan's Hope was beating Search For Tomorrow (still on CBS), and The Doctors on NBC was past its peak; CBS had to figure that neither was so formidable that they couldn't be taken.  As for AMC and Days, well, they were among the most popular soaps, so it was more valuable to CBS to top both of them.  By putting Y&R at 12:30, it would be in progress when AMC and Days came on, and its viewers would be less likely to change channels.  Having Bold and the Beautiful at 1:30 was the same strategy; AMC and Days would be in progress, and CBS viewers would be less inclined to turn away.

One thing I don't understand is why ABC doesn't do a split feed of GMA3.  It airs at 1 (ET), noon everywhere else, and ABC affiliates in the earlier time zones have to run their news at 11 AM (WFAA Dallas, for example, was running All My Children at 11, followed by news at noon; GMA3 forced them to move the news to 11 so the network show could air at 12.)  The Eastern time zone would still see GMA3 at 1 (like CBS's Eastern affiliates see Y&R at 12:30), but everyone else would have the choice of GMA3 at 11 and news at noon, or vice versa (like Y&R outside the Eastern time zone...11 or 11:30 AM).

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

I think I mentioned this before in this forum, but since GMA3 tape its show at 10am/ET, the network DOES have an early Noon/ET feed of the program. Stations like WBRZ, KGRV, KETV and KMBC air it at 11am/CT before their Noon-casts.

WFAA could've kept their hourly Noon show instead of moving it to 11am. 

3 hours ago, bpatrick said:

I don't recall but once when Barker acknowledged Cullen at all, and that was when Cullen appeared to promote his short-lived game show Child's Play.

There was another occasion where he mentioned Cullen, during a pricing game. And that was a few years after that Cullen appearance.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CircleSeven said:

I think I mentioned this before in this forum, but since GMA3 tape its show at 10am/ET, the network DOES have an early Noon/ET feed of the program. Stations like WBRZ, KGRV, KETV and KMBC air it at 11am/CT before their Noon-casts.

Couldn’t they just air it li- oh wait, they can’t because of after-GMA bullcrap standards.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bpatrick said:

In those markets where GL was moved to 10 AM it was getting hammered by General Hospital and had been for years.  But there had also been the loss of several popular characters: some longtime fans stopped watching when Maureen Bauer (Ed's wife, if you know the show) was killed off because Procter & Gamble wanted to bring in Buzz Cooper, father of Frank and Harley and who had been MIA in Vietnam for years.  (A focus group had told P&G that they didn't care either way if Maureen (Ellen Parker) was let go.) Then Michael Zaslow, who played Roger Thorpe, died in real life and his replacement lasted about a month.  Finally Jerry ver Dorn (Ross Marler) walked in one morning and was handed his pink slip. Losing popular characters like these didn't help; fortunately the show didn't write out Josh and Reva.  My own take on all this is that, after 72 years on radio and television, GL was out of stories.

I don't doubt they'll get another year.  However, if I were a CBS affiliate manager, I wouldn't dare drop either show but I'd be praying for the day I could expand my noon newscast to an hour and go head-to-head with the ABC, NBC, or even Fox affiliates from 12-1.  I know, there are a few stations doing it (WLKY, KOTV, to name two) but right now I don't think many stations want to mess up viewing habits in the middle of the day.  

7 hours ago, Abraham J. Simpson said:

NBC may be experimenting with the Days on Peacock deal, but we have yet to see just how long that is really going to last. Would it work on Paramount Plus? That's dubious to be generous. And the Talk is never being cut to 30 minutes. B&B will go away before that happens. 

Y&R at 12:30 ET for a long time put it head to head with other soaps, not getting a jump. (Loving, anyone? Port Charles?)  It's more a vestige of having an extra half hour of programming, not competing with another soap. Competition is everything--news, syndication, all of it. Y&R is at as much a disadvantage in areas where other hour long programs have started on the hour and it's at :30.

If CBS can milk more money out of their remaining shows, more power to them. We all know the future isn't long term, but take the cash now, and when it's time to move on, just move on. 

I don't think expanding their noon newscast to one hour will do CBS affiliates any favors. To my understanding, maybe I'm wrong, CBS noon news shows (on the east coast at least)  largely do well because they follow the Price is Right and lead into Y&R. 

I think Y&R was the only soap to really do well at 12:30. That slot kept audiences from changing the channel to DAYS or All My Children at 1:00 because viewers were stuck watching from 12:30.

Edited by MediaZone4K
  • Sad 1

It’s not inevitable it goes to Paramount Plus. It’s entirely possible to just send it to the graveyard of TV shows. 

The midday CBS affiliate newscasts in the east would sill have Price as a lead in, for whatever that’s worth. And what station manager wouldn’t prefer the extra revenue for little extra investment in resources?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

35 minutes ago, MediaZone4K said:

Dont know where exactly to post this...thought for a moment  CBS returned to their old screen bug. But it looks like a temporary glitch.

IMG_5423.jpeg

IMG_5422.jpeg

Actually for some reason this has been happening for most of "The Late Show"'s uploads, for some reason on air they'll have the new bug but on YT it'll be the old bug.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Abraham J. Simpson said:

It’s not inevitable it goes to Paramount Plus. It’s entirely possible to just send it to the graveyard of TV shows. 

That’s quite a take. I’m sure Paramount would love to profit from it if CBS doesn’t feel it’s worth it anymore.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Nelson R. said:

That’s quite a take. I’m sure Paramount would love to profit from it if CBS doesn’t feel it’s worth it anymore.

That would suggest they find an opportunity to profit from it. Not everything goes over to a streaming service. Some series just die. For every “show X moves to streaming” you can list many more that don’t, even in the streaming era.

What I suggested was there is no automatic reason to expect such a scenario to play out. Different platforms, different parent companies. Different strategic priorities. Maybe it does. Maybe it doesn’t. 

35 minutes ago, Abraham J. Simpson said:

That would suggest they find an opportunity to profit from it. Not everything goes over to a streaming service. Some series just die. For every “show X moves to streaming” you can list many more that don’t, even in the streaming era.

What I suggested was there is no automatic reason to expect such a scenario to play out. Different platforms, different parent companies. Different strategic priorities. Maybe it does. Maybe it doesn’t. 

I think the only reason NBC shunted Days of our Lives to Peacock was to boost that service, anyway. Paramount+ isn't perfect, but it seems to not really need an aging soap opera to boost it up. That's what they took over Showtime for.

On 10/3/2023 at 2:00 PM, Abraham J. Simpson said:

I would have to disagree. Y&R gained strength at 12:30 because it had a jump on Days and All My Children which started at 1 PM. The two soaps you listed: Port Charles and Loving, did poorly in the ratings because they had to go up against Y&R which has been the highest rated soap since 1988. 

Edited by MediaZone4K
  • Like 1

Y&R beat those shows where it didn't have an advantage in timing. It was a better show back all those decades ago. (And far more people tuned in to Days/AMC than the preceding shows). Several factors interact with each other. 

But here we are in 2023. It's a vestige of a bygone era with that timing, and until they at least axe B&B, there's not much else to do, realistically, until it's time to put one or both out to pasture. That's the current point--there's nothing to get a leg up on. We've left that era long behind. 

• Like 1

WOTV: Chi Fire Early Sun 4AM to 6AM wasn't cleared last year was on WXMI Fox17 in 2021-22 weekend syndication which in the fall wasn't aired due to football & basketball in the wintertime. WXSP: Chi Fire Sun 10:30PM to 11:30PM replaced Chi PD.  

So here’s your daily “What the Hell?”.

After my local CW affiliate (KPTM-DT3) airs the weekly Thursday night football game (about 9:30pm, and tonight’s matchup as I am writing this, October 12th, is Hastings vs Ralston), they air an episode of iCrime to fill up the rest of the 9:00pm hour, followed by the CW primetime lineup from 10:00pm till midnight.. just why?

2 hours ago, CoopInTheHouse said:

After my local CW affiliate (KPTM-DT3) airs the weekly Thursday night football game (about 9:30pm, and tonight’s matchup as I am writing this, October 12th, is Hastings vs Ralston), they air an episode of iCrime to fill up the rest of the 9:00pm hour, followed by the CW primetime lineup from 10:00pm till midnight.. just why?

A marginal ratings improvement on the syndie fare that's usually in those slots?

Ken Jeong talker will be Sinclair, Nexstar or Scripps for the fall of 2024. I watched Popstar Today since it moves when LIV Golf is on the ads are only Poshmark which the host Elizabeth Staton should say brought to you by Poshmark, and also just promos for news and the sitcoms with a couple of buy direct ads.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Megatron81 said:

Ken Jeong talker will be Sinclair, Nexstar or Scripps for the fall of 2024. I watched Popstar Today since it moves when LIV Golf is on the ads are only Poshmark which the host Elizabeth Staton should say brought to you by Poshmark, and also just promos for news and the sitcoms with a couple of buy direct ads.

First I’ve heard of a Ken Jeong talk show. EDIT: Didn’t see the above post.

Edited by Nelson R.

On 10/12/2023 at 6:57 PM, CoopInTheHouse said:

Pretty easy to explain that one (WVTV-DT2 does the same thing); they want the network to start on time for the sake of DVRs and just throwing on episodes of iCrime in that 9-10 timeslot that aren't critical to watch in full is a good buffer to assure it starts at 10 in case the game does go into overtime or runs late because of a weather delay.

• Like 5