2023-24 Syndication News

Georgie56

1 hour ago, carolinanews4 said:

Technically, CBS still does. Let's Make a Deal runs at 10A Eastern. However, some affiliates have chosen to air it later in the day

You are right. They have a choice of 10am or 3pm. 10am is the recommended time slot. However they technically didn’t program 10am-11am from 1992 when the Family Feud Challenge was cancelled until 2009 when LMAD replaced Guiding Light. (Except for the few affiliates that aired Guiding Light at 10am, CBS even started feeding GL at 10am). Many affiliates including WBTV didn’t clear that though I should have said they used to program BOTH 10am-11am and 3-4pm and now they get to pick one of those hours. Until 1986 they also programmed 4-4:30pm. I am not sure if WBTV cleared what they aired in that time slot although they did briefly clear Tattletales at 1pm on a delay.

Edited by Nelson R.
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Nelson R. said:

You are right. They have a choice of 10am or 3pm. 10am is the recommended time slot. However they didn’t program 10am-11am from 1992 when the Family Feud Challenge was cancelled until 2009 when LMAD replaced Guiding Light. Many affiliates including WBTV didn’t clear that though I should have said they used to program BOTH 10am-11am and 3-4pm and now they get to pick one of those hours. Until 1986 they also programmed 4-4:30pm. WBTV usually didn’t clear what they aired in that time slot although they did briefly clear Tattletales at 1pm on a delay.

Several CBS stations—most of them O&Os (e.g., WCBS, KCBS, WFOR, KDKA, WBBM), but also about a dozen affiliates (e.g., KOIN, WKMG, WANF [then WGCL], WANE, WCSC)—actually ran Guiding Light in the 10:00/9:00 a.m. hour during the last few years of its run, with LMAD inheriting GL’s alternate timeslots.

Edited by T.L. Hughes
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, T.L. Hughes said:

Several CBS stations—most of them O&Os (e.g., WCBS, KCBS, WFOR, KDKA, WBBM), but also about a dozen affiliates (e.g., KOIN, WKMG, WANF [then WGCL], WANE, WCSC)—actually ran Guiding Light in the 10:00/9:00 a.m. hour during the last few years of its run, with LMAD inheriting GL’s alternate timeslots.

I thought I had mentioned that 

• Like 1

It’s time for another “What the hell?”

WJAR (an NBC affiliate) in Providence, RI airs the first, second, and third hours of Today at regular times, but inbetween, WJAR airs Live with Kelly and Mark at 10:00am (effectively joining the central time feed, despite the city being in eastern time), and then airs Today with Hoda and Jenna.

2 minutes ago, CoopInTheHouse said:

WJAR (an NBC affiliate) in Providence, RI airs the first, second, and third hours of Today at regular times, but inbetween, WJAR airs Live with Kelly and Mark at 10:00am (effectively joining the central time feed, despite the city being in eastern time), and then airs Today with Hoda and Jenna.

They have done that for over 20 years!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, CoopInTheHouse said:

1 hour ago, bostonmediaguy said:

They have done that for over 20 years!

Basically, that scheduling of Live… goes back to the final years of WJAR’s tenure as an NBC O&O, predating the launch of the fourth hour of Today, and possibly even tracing to the launch of the third hour (if not that of the short-lived predecessor Later Today).

Edited by T.L. Hughes

1 hour ago, CoopInTheHouse said:

What happened to my post?

I swore I posted that WXII delays Today 3rd Hour and Hoda and Jenna by an hour to air Kelly and Mark at 9. And that sister station WYFF doesn’t air Hoda and Jenna at all. They also air Kelly and Mark at 9 and 3rd Hour at 10 and a random syndicated program at 11am (currently Dateline). Maybe I forgot to hit send. Same thing happened yesterday when I thought I had mentioned the handful of affiliates that aired GL at 10am in the mid 2000s. 

Edited by Nelson R.
  • Confused 1

14 hours ago, Nelson R. said:

What happened to my post?

I swore I posted that WXII delays Today 3rd Hour and Hoda and Jenna by an hour to air Kelly and Mark at 9. And that sister station WYFF doesn’t air Hoda and Jenna at all. They also air Kelly and Mark at 9 and 3rd Hour at 10 and a random syndicated program at 11am (currently Dateline). Maybe I forgot to hit send. Same thing happened yesterday when I thought I had mentioned the handful of affiliates that aired GL at 10am in the mid 2000s. 

I swear it's a Hearst thing. WBAL and KCRA also don't air Hoda and Jenna, and those are two market-leading stations.

51 minutes ago, KS-IL-IA said:

The strangest scheduling of Kelly & Mark I've seen is KRCG in Jefferson City, Mo. Sometime this year it was bumped to 3 p.m., making room for Sinclair's National Desk at 9.

Ok, but just.. why would you do that? Unbelievable scheduling. Before the debut of The National Desk, I know they placed it at 9 but just.. why 3? You could atleast join the PACIFIC feed (because The Price is Right is at 11/10c).

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Georgie56 said:

Live is specifically meant to be aired in the morning. Bizarre scheduling.

3 minutes ago, Marvin Dillweed said:

Back in the early-mid '90s WANE-TV in Fort Wayne, IN would also air "Live" in the afternoon. In fact it may have been a 4pm lead-in to their 5pm news. Can't recall what they aired in the 9am slot.

38 minutes ago, CoopInTheHouse said:

Ok, but just.. why would you do that? Unbelievable scheduling. Before the debut of The National Desk, I know they placed it at 9 but just.. why 3? You could atleast join the PACIFIC feed (because The Price is Right is at 11/10c).

1 hour ago, KS-IL-IA said:

The strangest scheduling of Kelly & Mark I've seen is KRCG in Jefferson City, Mo. Sometime this year it was bumped to 3 p.m., making room for Sinclair's National Desk at 9.

The best alternative would have been to put Kelly and Ryan at 11 and Y&R at 3. 

• Like 1

Would that be best, or did the station have data that says otherwise? 3 pm for Y&R feels like a big stretch that would need some compelling business rationale, which isn’t “but Live feels like a morning show.” It is light fluffy entertainment well suited to mornings, but light fluffy talk can work in afternoons.

• Haha 1

On 9/19/2023 at 10:48 AM, KS-IL-IA said:

Well, David Brenner is on tonight and he's been dead 9 1/2 years. Judging from the listings this week, they key on one recognizable name.

I'm surprised there isn't a late-night CBS Evening News repeat at 12:37 and 1:07 left to the affiliates to air 11PM news rebroadcasts or syndicated. How much revenue are they going to get from these Byron Allen repeats?

NBC never replaced Lilly Singh when she was canned. Most stations air 11PM news rebroadcasts at 1:37AM now.

1 hour ago, Abraham J. Simpson said:

Would that be best, or did the station have data that says otherwise? 3 pm for Y&R feels like a big stretch that would need some compelling business rationale, which isn’t “but Live feels like a morning show.” It is light fluffy entertainment well suited to mornings, but light fluffy talk can work in afternoons.

WLKY in Louisville still airs Y&R at 4 for what it’s worth 

4 hours ago, Marvin Dillweed said:

Back in the early-mid '90s WANE-TV in Fort Wayne, IN would also air "Live" in the afternoon. In fact it may have been a 4pm lead-in to their 5pm news. Can't recall what they aired in the 9am slot.

And it wound up being roadkill for Oprah anyway. Name one station that even bothered to carry Oprah at a time other than the afternoon or early evening...especially during this period when she came to really dominate what had become a saturated talk show mine field.

1 hour ago, VHSgoodiesWA said:

I'm surprised there isn't a late-night CBS Evening News repeat at 12:37 and 1:07 left to the affiliates to air 11PM news rebroadcasts or syndicated. How much revenue are they going to get from these Byron Allen repeats?

NBC never replaced Lilly Singh when she was canned. Most stations air 11PM news rebroadcasts at 1:37AM now.

Or the aforementioned Crimetime After Primetime to tide them over until the strikes end, possibly at least the WGA by the end of this week or next for sure.

But if anything, who misses the days of CBS News Nightwatch? Forget what eventually happened to their longtime host, but it's hard to argue that if Charlie Rose (again as I said) kept his pants zipped, his PBS interviews would likely be airing on CBS as filler.