2023-24 Syndication News

Georgie56

5 hours ago, CoopInTheHouse said:

Here’s some syndicated shows that you haven’t heard about but have/will premiere(d) today/this weekend.

In the Reality genre: Storm of Suspicion (from the people who make 48 Hours). Will air weekends.

Uh, actually… Storm of Suspicion (which is a Weather Channel original; to summarize, it’s a true crime show dealing with forensic meteorology and how weather factors into the profiled cases) has been in syndication for a couple of years now.

5 hours ago, WheelWarrior said:

Also, speaking of weekend syndication, it happened at some point last season -- The Good Doctor, which debuted last season, originally had two feeds, one for single run markets and one for double run. At first, double run markets just got the next two episodes each weekend, while single runs just got one, to not mess with the show's heavy continuity in either case. At some point, they changed this so that for double run markets, the "A" episode is a repeat of last weekend's episode, and the "B" is the same episode that single run markets get. I'm guessing they did this either to keep both single and double run markets in sync with each other so the doubles don't get "ahead" (plus they would have looped back to S1 by now since the single run is currently on late S3), or because of how double run markets that might put one of the two runs in an undesirable slot would essentially rob viewers of alternating episodes.

Disney Media Distribution, which also syndicates The Good Doctor (due to it being an ABC Signature co-production), did this when Castle was still available in weekend syndication. They switched to this exact airing format c. 2017-18.

3 hours ago, Action Newsroom said:

Byron Allen's Comics Unleashed is

expanding from CBS local (and the rest of first-run syndication) to CBS proper for a limited time only, starting September 18.

https://deadline.com/2023/09/comics-unleashed-with-byron-allen-cbs-late-night-1235543726/

I’m guessing that since CBS has a content deal with The Weather Channel, and their plan to have the @midnight reboot replace The Late Late Show got stalled by the Writer’s Strike, someone in the network’s programming department thought, "I know of a great show we can put on at 12:35, instead of rerunning Corden into oblivion"?

Edited by T.L. Hughes
  • Like 1

I haven’t seen many changes in Charlotte weekend syndication. It looks like the stations didn’t pick up a whole lot. WMYT did pick up Fast Home Rescue, and Pawn Stars and Storage Wars will now be airing on weekends on WAXN. Also, two runs of Young Sheldon replace two runs of Big Bang Theory at 8pm on Sunday nights on WMYT so now it’s four straight Young Sheldons from 7-9pm and just two Big Bang Theorys from 9-10pm. And of course the Equalizer replacing Magnum, PI on WAXN. Friends will continue to be weekend filler on WCCB.

I would expect to see Fast Home Rescue show up some on WJZY too when they have some local time on weekends after football season ends. 

Edited by Nelson R.

if modern family actually leaves the FOX O&Os, that’s the end of WRBW’s comedy block after well over 15 years down here. that is wild. 

also

CBS has over 70 years of televised available content, nearly 100 years worth of paramount (and the companies paramount bought out and merged into over the years) content, and over 30 years of late night programming ready to air at any point in time. they chose…..a low rated, unfunny comedy series that hasn’t had a singular new episode since craig ferguson was hosting the late late show. just give 12:37am back to affiliates at this rate.

• Thanks 1

Correct schedule for WMYT:

Equal Justice airs at 1 and 1:30pm instead of 11:30am and 12:30pm, Dateline is gone, will start on WAXN next week at 11am.

Two runs of We The People at 11am and two runs of Divorce Court at noon, not just one.

IMG_4008.png

Edited by Nelson R.

On 9/11/2023 at 6:03 PM, tyrannical bastard said:

And Stephen Colbert better have a long beard like Letterman did during the last strike!

Letterman’s strike beard wasn’t that long, especially compared to what he’s been sporting since he retired. He looked less like Santa Claus and more like the Gorton’s Fisherman.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/12/2023 at 6:55 PM, Matt S. said:

CBS has over 70 years of televised available content, nearly 100 years worth of paramount (and the companies paramount bought out and merged into over the years) content, and over 30 years of late night programming ready to air at any point in time. they chose…..a low rated, unfunny comedy series that hasn’t had a singular new episode since craig ferguson was hosting the late late show. just give 12:37am back to affiliates at this rate.

Narrowing that down to what is actually realistic: The feature films don't fit in the timeslot (and Paramount only owns their post-1951 features, the Republic library, and the films that previous incarnations of CBS have financed), Much of the early CBS primetime was wiped or not owned by the network, and Worldwide Pants owns the entirety of the CBS late night talk show lineup from 1993 to 2014, leaving for CBS The Pat Sajak Show. That still leaves a significant library of 70 or so years or surviving comedy or drama programming owned by the network, Paramount Television, other smaller producers Paramount owns, or their cable networks.

Edited by AmericanErrorist
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, AmericanErrorist said:

Narrowing that down to what is actually realistic: The feature films don't fit in the timeslot (and Paramount only owns their post-1951 features, the Republic library, and the films that previous incarnations of CBS have financed), Much of the early CBS primetime was wiped or not owned by the network, and Worldwide Pants owns the entirety of the CBS late night talk show lineup from 1993 to 2014, leaving for CBS The Pat Sajak Show. That still leaves a significant library of 70 or so years or surviving comedy or drama programming owned by the network, Paramount Television, other smaller producers Paramount owns, or their cable networks.

As an aside, I'm surprised CBS hasn't put more of their back catalogue on Pluto TV, particularly The Pat Sajak Show and the post-2014 late-night shows. Older episodes of 60 Minutes could also be worth putting up, too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AmericanErrorist said:

...Worldwide Pants owns the entirety of the CBS late night talk show lineup from 1993 to 2014, leaving for CBS The Pat Sajak Show...

Late Show with David Letterman ended in 2015, as did Worldwide Pants' interest in Late Late Show after Craig Ferguson departed.

Edited by Big Rollo Smokes

11 minutes ago, mre29 said:

As an aside, I'm surprised CBS hasn't put more of their back catalogue on Pluto TV, particularly The Pat Sajak Show and the post-2014 late-night shows. Older episodes of 60 Minutes could also be worth putting up, too.

PlutoTV has a Johnny Carson Channel, why they haven't struck a deal with WWP/Letterman for is tenure of Late Show episodes and Snyder/Kilborn/Ferguson LLS is beyond me. Yes... They have to scrub the titles to "Letterman" like they did with "Carson", everything else should be playable for the most part.

• Like 5

On 9/14/2023 at 2:24 PM, Big Rollo Smokes said:

Late Show with David Letterman ended in 2015, as did Worldwide Pants' interest in Late Late Show after Craig Ferguson departed.

But Worldwide Pants produced several weeks of guest hosts early in 2015 before Corden took over (but not the week of episodes from New York including the legendary Adam Pally ep or the special late episodes of The Talk).

On 9/14/2023 at 3:13 PM, noggi said:

Why is that, by the way?

Edit: A search of the trademark database says that Worldwide Pants still owns the Late Show trademarks 

As for Pluto TV repeats, there are rights issues with the musical guests (there is an official Letterman YouTube channel with choice segments and interviews dating back to the NBC era).

Edited by AmericanErrorist
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

On 9/13/2023 at 10:14 PM, Georgie56 said:

Reportedly, there will also be one exclusively for LA and SF.

The NY/PHL episode aired at 6:30 PM ET on both affiliates, with the latter preceded by a special introduction from the host of "The ClassH Room" which normally airs in that slot on WTXF. Listings had the episode listed as another airing of that day's regular A run episode.

• Confused 1

On 9/12/2023 at 8:55 PM, Matt S. said:CBS has over 70 years of televised available content, nearly 100 years worth of paramount (and the companies paramount bought out and merged into over the years) content, and over 30 years of late night programming ready to air at any point in time. they chose…..a low rated, unfunny comedy series that hasn’t had a singular new episode since craig ferguson was hosting the late late show. just give 12:37am back to affiliates at this rate.

It’s too bad that because of Worldwide Pants you can’t have old Tom Snyder repeats from back in the day with the iconic David Sanborn theme music. It’s also too bad that because he couldn’t keep his drawers zipped some years ago, we can’t have repeats of Charlie Rose and his own iconic theme and presentation as well. It’s even too bad it’s not anywhere close to the 2024 presidential sweepstakes - if it were, CBS could have had extended presidential coverage in the presentation of the old CBS News Nightwatch. At this point, anything is better than continuously rerunning James Corden. I’d even go with a reboot of Crimetime After Primetime at this point just to kill time until the damn strikes end!

On 9/14/2023 at 4:35 PM, GodfreyGR said:

PlutoTV has a Johnny Carson Channel, why they haven't struck a deal with WWP/Letterman for is tenure of Late Show episodes and Snyder/Kilborn/Ferguson LLS is beyond me. Yes... They have to scrub the titles to "Letterman" like they did with "Carson", everything else should be playable for the most part.

Except I think it’s baloney. Antenna TV should just suck it up and make a deal with NBC to air Carson repeats as they originally aired - complete with the Ed McMahon intros and Carson’s monologues. Especially since a lot of their affiliates are NBC affiliates themselves on the primary end.

And for Letterman? Nexstar has Rewind TV now and they could use that to air vintage Letterman from the NBC era, maybe even the CBS era without modifications. Gen X and even elder millennial parents should have the opportunity to show their kids what comedy was like in their days. It’s not like they’re trying to rip off NBC as if the trademarks are so sacrosanct (Bud Melman/Calvert DeForest has been a bag of bones for several years now - like NBC is worried about Nexstar profiting off of airing old Letterman repeats as they were intended?).

• Like 1

@WheelWarriorWOLO in Columbia, SC  has completely crapped on Wheel of Fortune. They normally air Wheel at 7 and Jeopardy at 7:30, but instead of airing Jeopardy in place of one of their Judge Judys at 4 or 4:30 they are moving Jeopardy up to 7 tomorrow night to air Monday Night Countdown. They are dropping Andy Griffith for half of Drew Barrymore at 12:30pm so that wasn’t an option but they could’ve spared one of their Judge Judys. And they are not airing Wheel in late night according to their website.

Edited by Nelson R.
  • Angry 1

I'd say she bowed to the pressure of Paramount Global to keep the show on the air in the first place in business as usual mode rather than the strikes.

The problem here was PG forcing the show back into production without writers and a limited guest pool (pretty much Broadway and unscripted, along with PGs deal of the day hucksters, the exact same as The View minus politicos). This is all on them and she's the front liner to take the blame while Bob Bakish would prefer she come back (and hired the goons to take away WGA buttons from audience members) and gets none of it.

ETA - The Talk will also stay dark. My point stands; CBS's executives and Bob expected the talent to take the brunt and it was clear they would give with pressure because it should not be an exec's choice to force them to come back.

Edited by mrschimpf
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, mrschimpf said:

I'd say she bowed to the pressure of Paramount Global to keep the show on the air in the first place in business as usual mode rather than the strikes.

The problem here was PG forcing the show back into production without writers and a limited guest pool (pretty much Broadway and unscripted, along with PGs deal of the day hucksters, the exact same as The View minus politicos). This is all on them and she's the front liner to take the blame while Bob Bakish would prefer she come back (and hired the goons to take away WGA buttons from audience members) and gets none of it.

ETA - The Talk will also stay dark. My point stands; CBS's executives and Bob expected the talent to take the brunt and it was clear they would give with pressure because it should not be an exec's choice to force them to come back.

I partially agree with you here, but if I’m Drew Barrymore, I don’t need CBS or my lackluster talk show. It boggles my mind that she didn’t either tell the company to screw off or continue the show while abiding by WGA strike rules (or while paying staff out of pocket herself, if possible).

From the sound of things, the most recently taped episodes were likely using scabs; Drew Barrymore knows better about this stuff. A public spat w/ Paramount/CBS would’ve been nasty, but it’s surely better than throwing your career away for a generic talk show.

Edited by nycnewsjunkie
  • Like 2