2023-24 Syndication News

Georgie56

1 hour ago, Georgie56 said:

KTVT is dropping their 6pm newscast for a block of J! and Wheel.

IMG_1503.jpeg

In terms of viewership retention, it makes sense to put the J!/Wheel block on one station instead of making viewers switch between two. But one would hope they’d at least consider 6pm news on KTXA.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, nycnewsjunkie said:

In terms of viewership retention, it makes sense to put the J!/Wheel block on one station instead of making viewers switch between two. But one would hope they’d at least consider 6pm news on KTXA.

KTVT is adding a 7pm newscast to KTXA on the 12th.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

27 minutes ago, bpatrick said:

That is unusual for a station in the Central time zone.  I'm sure, though, that a lot of people will be happy with the two shows on the same channel and an alternative to the news.

It's unusual but not all that rare. As WDJT & WVUE have aired J!/Wheel on the 6pm/CT hour for years.......

Edited by CircleSeven
  • Like 3

On 8/22/2023 at 2:30 PM, Matt S. said:

WESH: either ET (which has been on at 7pm for at least 15+ years now and has been on WESH in the 7pm hour since 1981) or access hollywood is going….somewhere may only be as far as wkcf. but they’re starting the 7pm news wars here. their own 7pm news will be going against WKMG’s decade old news starting 9/11. the rest of the schedule should be the same, we’ll find out when 9/11 gets here 

ET's probably the show staying in primetime, even on WKCF, but at this point it does feel like a long decline for ET's schedule access (Hearst will pre-empt ET on their stations for anything because that late night replay gives them a huge cushion to work with). Unless you're a CBS affiliate you're just over carrying what seems to have become a paid program for Paramount Global properties and an entertainment news org which isn't really trying as much as they did in the past. In the reverse Access will stay on WESH (even post-Seth) solely because it's NBC produced programming on an NBC affiliate.

1 hour ago, gbsgeo said:

It is unusual for the DFW market considering how all the stations treat the 6pm newscasts as almost their flagship evening newscast. 

The KTVT show was never evergreen though, and we have nearly 20 years of data to show that the J!/WoF block doesn't damage any newscast or early prime ratings if it's carried at 6pm Central and makes all the other shows more important overall.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, mrschimpf said:

Hearst will pre-empt ET on their stations for anything because that late night replay gives them a huge cushion to work with

Not just Hearst. WAXN started replaying it and Inside Edition at 1am and 1:30 every night so now it won’t have to preempt Feud reruns at 8 and 8:30 anymore whenever WSOC preempts  them to run various specials. 😳

And Capitol demoted ET to 6pm in Raleigh on WRAZ when it added a 7pm news on WRAL and moved Inside Edition to 7:30. But Judge Judy gets 4 runs on WNCN. 

Edited by Nelson R.
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

It's unusual but not all that rare. As WDJT & WVUE have aired J!/Wheel on the 6pm/CT hour for years.......

Denver has had it that way for years. First with KMGH, then the shows moved to KDVR.  I think KMGH moved Jeopardy! to another time for awhile and started a 6pm newscast, but a few years later, they went to KDVR.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, johnothy said:

Denver has had it that way for years. First with KMGH, then the shows moved to KDVR.  I think KMGH moved Jeopardy! to another time for awhile and started a 6pm newscast, but a few years later, they went to KDVR.

KMGH moved Jeopardy from 6:00 to 3:30 in the late 90s sometime after the switch to ABC. It went back to 6:00 in 2006 when Oprah moved to KCNC, though they kept the Jeopardy reruns at 3:30. KMGH got rid of Jeopardy and Wheel shortly after Scripps bought the station and when Scripps was in a big push to get rid of as much syndicated programming as possible.

• Like 1

On 8/7/2023 at 6:42 PM, noggi said:

It is. 

Yep, it’s starting September 6th.

Funny how WUSA had the 4pm news in DC for a few years in the 90s and now they’ve playing catch-up with the other major stations.

Edited by MD TV

4 hours ago, MD TV said:

Yep, it’s starting September 6th.

Funny how WUSA had the 4pm news in DC for a few years in the 90s and now they’ve playing catch-up with the other major stations.

WTHR in Indianapolis is also starting 4pm news on September 6th to replace Dr. Phil.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

WWBT will be adding a 3pm newscast (called First Look at 3) and the new InvestigateTV+ show (replacing The Kelly Clarkson Show) and a 7pm newscast called 12 On Your Side Tonight on September 11th. I wonder the 7pm will be simulcast on sister station WUPV (the station already has a 7pm newscast).

https://www.nbc12.com/2023/08/23/wwbt-adding-two-newscasts-sept-11/

That means Entertainment Tonight will be moving to WTVR after decades on WWBT (just saw a promo). It will still be at 7pm, but WTVR will move their 7pm newscast to 7:30. I'm guessing Kelly Clarkson will be moving to WRIC after Dr. Phil ends?

Edited by tw-804
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Jeopardy has always been screwed badly timeslot-wise in Central and Mountain Time Zone Markets except for Fox affiliates (i.e. WVUE and WALA) or now KTVT and WDJT. Those of us in the Eastern or Pacific Time Zones are so used to Wheel and Jeopardy being in tandem with each other whether on the same station or separate that it's almost unfathomable to not watch Jeopardy at night over dinner or after it.

• Like 7

In the Central and Mountain time zones, the 10 PM newscast is traditionally the flagship newscast.  As quite a few Fox affiliates (including my own, and I'm in the Eastern time zone) have found out, people like to catch the 10 PM news before turning in; in cities like Chicago and Dallas, quite a few people are still at work or trying to get home.  So for KTVT and WDJT to replace news with Jeopardy! at 6 doesn't represent that great a loss in either Dallas or Milwaukee.  And WVUE and WALA are Fox affiliates; for them the flagship newscast is at 9 PM so it's no great loss to have one less newscast in New Orleans and Mobile at 6.

On 8/14/2023 at 4:26 PM, TennTV1983 said:

WATN is bringing back Live with Kelly and Mark to their weekday morning schedule beginning next month.

I'm not sure what their afternoon schedule will look like now that Dr. Phil has ended, but I would suspect Jennifer Hudson and Karamo are sticking around.

A follow-up on what I posted earlier: WATN is doing a 2-hour block of game shows from 2-4 starting September 11. In addition to 25 Words or Less and Pictionary, they will also be airing People Puzzler along with Person, Place, or Thing.

6 hours ago, bpatrick said:

In the Central and Mountain time zones, the 10 PM newscast is traditionally the flagship newscast.  As quite a few Fox affiliates (including my own, and I'm in the Eastern time zone) have found out, people like to catch the 10 PM news before turning in; in cities like Chicago and Dallas, quite a few people are still at work or trying to get home.  So for KTVT and WDJT to replace news with Jeopardy! at 6 doesn't represent that great a loss in either Dallas or Milwaukee.  And WVUE and WALA are Fox affiliates; for them the flagship newscast is at 9 PM so it's no great loss to have one less newscast in New Orleans and Mobile at 6.

Plus KDVR (which last I checked beat KCNC and KMGH) opts to air Jeopardy! and Wheel at 6pm Mountain rather than air a newscast.

• Like 1

Someone forgot to check the website design using F12...

Also interesting that WITI isn't grabbing it, even as a YBYL replacement (I'm sure they're all excited to have Seinfeld back at its God-given 10:35 timeslot, fingers crossed),

"The Big Bang Theory" moves to KIAH here in Houston starting September 4 at 6:00pm CST.

Also, "Who the Bleep is That" and "People Puzzler" are going to KTXH at the respective times of 3:00pm and 4:30pm/1:30am.

More updates to come...

Edited by H-Town TV Fan
  • Like 1