Chuck Todd Leaving "Meet the Press"; Kristen Welker Named New Moderator

Action Newsroom

• Action Newsroom changed the title to Chuck Todd to Leave "Meet the Press"; Kristen Welker New Moderator

Long overdue but hopefully this will be a good change. I would’ve preferred someone who is actually independent and a true moderator, since Chuck has blurred that line, but those days seem to be long gone. It will be interesting to see who they chose to replace Kristen on Saturday Today. 

• Like 3

• Action Newsroom changed the title to Chuck Todd Leaving "Meet the Press"; Kristen Welker Made New Moderator

It will be interesting to see if MTP will improve under Welker. While I'm sure Chuck is a good guy, he was never that great of a moderator, and I know people from across the political spectrum were critical of him. I figured Welker would be promoted eventually after moderating a presidential debate. While I don't think anyone can replace Tim, hopefully Welker's an improvement.

• Like 4

As far as the sucessor for Welker on Saturday today- my best guess would be someone from NBC News Now or NBC News Daily. Those individuals seem to serve as minor league players cutting their teeth until a big network opportunity comes up.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jrogo said:

Long overdue but hopefully this will be a good change. I would’ve preferred someone who is actually independent and a true moderator, since Chuck has blurred that line, but those days seem to be long gone. It will be interesting to see who they chose to replace Kristen on Saturday Today. 

44 minutes ago, FiveNews said:

As far as the sucessor for Welker on Saturday today- my best guess would be someone from NBC News Now or NBC News Daily. Those individuals seem to serve as minor league players cutting their teeth until a big network opportunity comes up.

Why does she have to be replaced on Saturday Today? Is there any reason she can’t keep that role?

5 minutes ago, TVNewsLover said:

Why does she have to be replaced on Saturday Today? Is there any reason she can’t keep that role?

Being a Sunday political show moderator is usually a pretty big job and requires a lot of prep work, and sometimes traveling to get certain interviews. Being tied down to the anchor desk on a Saturday could get in the way. Plus, they would probably want to keep her available on most weekdays to serve as an analyst.

• Like 1

• Action Newsroom changed the title to Chuck Todd Leaving "Meet the Press"; Kristen Welker Named New Moderator
  • 2 months later...
22 hours ago, gbsgeo said:

well, she's an improvement over Chuck, and she is definitely less biased than Stephanopoulos, let's see where the program goes from here.

Who exactly is on top of the *ratings* now? I'm seeing conflicting reports between Face the Nation and This Week.

Edited by MediaZone4K
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, MediaZone4K said:

Who exactly is on top of the readings now? I'm seeing conflicting reports between Face the Nation and This Week.

I believe This Week wins the demo, while CBS wins total, but the political roundtable shows are definitely the most competitive and back-and-forth, in the ratings.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/27/2023 at 12:08 PM, 24994J said:

I believe This Week wins the demo, while CBS wins total, but the political roundtable shows are definitely the most competitive and back-and-forth, in the ratings.

Copy.

To its credit, Meet the Press remains the best looking presentation wise of the three shows. The camera quality for ABC News' This Week , along with Weekend GMA, World News Now and America This Morning look like standard definition. 

Edited by MediaZone4K

Amazing to me that This Week performs as well as it does with their sloppy anchor lineup with George, Martha and Jon rotating weeks.

Todd just doesn’t have the gravitas to helm MTP, never did. We’ll see if Kristen does.

Edited by MorningNews
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, MorningNews said:

Amazing to me that This Week performs as well as it does with their sloppy anchor lineup if George, Martha and Jon rotating weeks.

Todd just doesn’t have the gravitas to helm MTP, never did. We’ll see if Kristen does.

They should give titular credit to all three or at least call the program "This Week" with no named anchor given the rotation arrangement.

NBC probably should've just let Tom Brokaw remain the host of Meet the Press (if he was willing) instead of giving it to David Gregory then Chuck.

Edited by MediaZone4K
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Chuck Todd officially bid farewell from Meet the Press at the end of this week's edition, and made great mention of his successor Kristen Welker, saying she'll approach the Moderator role "as a reporter".

https://deadline.com/2023/09/chuck-todd-meet-the-press-sign-off-1235542336/

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I wish we could go back to the show being about meeting the press, as in 'not just one person from NBC News'. It's a new face, but the same tired presentation, production and booking behind her, and she can only do so much. They couldn't even be bothered to blow up the entire episode for actual breaking news because they HAD to air yet another not unique interview with Matt Gaetz and his Dennis the Menace act which was already spoiled to death, and a 'but actually' interview with Nicki Haley nobody asked for.

MtP is in 80s-esque nadir where the format needs to be blown up.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, mrschimpf said:

I wish we could go back to the show being about meeting the press, as in 'not just one person from NBC News'. It's a new face, but the same tired presentation, production and booking behind her, and she can only do so much. They couldn't even be bothered to blow up the entire episode for actual breaking news because they HAD to air yet another not unique interview with Matt Gaetz and his Dennis the Menace act which was already spoiled to death, and a 'but actually' interview with Nicki Haley nobody asked for.

MtP is in 80s-esque nadir where the format needs to be blown up.

Yeah, hearing the backlash to her first couple of weeks it seems like the problem wasn’t merely Chuck.

• Like 1

On 8/27/2023 at 7:56 PM, MediaZone4K said:

NBC probably should've just let Tom Brokaw remain the host of Meet the Press (if he was willing) instead of giving it to David Gregory then Chuck.

I'm not sure how long Tom could have done MTP prior to his cancer diagnosis.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1