Sunbeam

mre29

Because why not?

First up: Sunbeam-Owned WSVN Miami, WHDH Boston Add Hour of Morning News

WSVN Miami and WHDH Boston, both part of Sunbeam Television, are adding the 10-11 a.m. hour to their morning news block. Both stations will have local news from 5 to 11 a.m. Monday through Friday starting June 26.

[...]

WSVN will air 12 hours of local news on weekdays, while WHDH will air 12 1/2 hours.

That's a lot of news.

“Our loyal viewers continue to turn to 7 News as they start their day,” said Paul Magnes, co-president and general manager, Sunbeam Television. “Our Today in Florida morning show consistently outdelivers the competition. Adding the extra hour builds on our success.”

[...]
“WHDH’s Today in New England continues to demonstrate ratings success, as the second most watched newscast amongst local and national morning newscasts,” said Jimmy Rogers, VP and general manager, WHDH. “The expansion of news, especially in the morning, fits in perfectly with what viewers expect from the trusted brand of 7 News.”

Wait... they have a general manager for each station and one for the company as a whole?

• Sad 3

8 hours ago, mre29 said:

Because why not?

That's a lot of news.

Wait... they have a general manager for each station and one for the company as a whole?

That has to be a typo or something. Magnes is WSVN’s GM.

12 hours a day is certainly overkill, but if any stations are going to follow the KVVU model of filling up more than half the day’s schedule with news, it’s these two.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, nycnewsjunkie said:

That has to be a typo or something. Magnes is WSVN’s GM.

That's what I figured. Heck, Sunbeam probably doesn't have much of a corporate office beyond an office for Andrew Ansin.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, mre29 said:

Because why not?

That's a lot of news.

When I first read this, I thought, "they should really be expanding their morning newscasts into the 4:00 a.m. hour, not the 10:00 a.m. hour." It doesn't make sense for a top-50-market station to not have their morning news start before 5:00 a.m. these days. (I still think it's weird KOKH is the only English-language news operation in OKC that starts its morning news at 5:00, while the Big Three affiliates start theirs at 4:00 or 4:30 a.m.)

Edited by T.L. Hughes
  • Like 1

Getting off-track a bit, I would not be surprised if more stations diverted 4:00 a.m. resources to middle-of-the-day newscasts instead. Sunbeam has much more flexibility, of course, with one station independent and one station only giving up two hours a day to FOX.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, T.L. Hughes said:

When I first read this, I thought, "they should really be expanding their morning newscasts into the 4:00 a.m. hour, not the 10:00 a.m. hour." It doesn't make sense for a top-50-market station to not have their morning news start before 5:00 a.m. these days. (I still think it's weird KOKH is the only English-language news operation in OKC that starts its morning news at 5:00, while the Big Three affiliates start theirs at 4:00 or 4:30 a.m.)

Funny you mentioned that; my first thought was “thank God it’s 10am and not 4am.” I know it’s become conventional for stations to start at 4 or 4:30am, but is there really that much of an audience there? Granted, most people are at work by 10am, but you can at least get stay at home moms/workers and people in waiting rooms to watch you.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, T.L. Hughes said:

KTVT, KPIX and KPRC all cut their 4:30am newscasts during the pandemic.

IMO it's better they don't start the newscast at 4 AM, at least from the talent's point of view. I like that they rerun the 11pm broadcast at that hour. If this pushes Sherri Shepherd down one hour hopefully it knocks Byron Allen's fake Justice with Judge Mablean off the schedule---(even though I love her). 

It's strange that a market with such leisure and culture as Miami/Ft Lauderdale doesn't have a lightweight morning newscast. Even the 9am hour on WPLG and WFOR are straight news. (Not counting Deco Drive or 6 in the Mix).

Looking at the quieter overlapping market West Palm, Fox 29 is straight news from 7-9. WPEC and WPBF are also strictly news at nine. Thats five hard newscasts at 9am in South Florida.

Edited by MediaZone4K
  • Like 6

On 5/18/2023 at 10:32 PM, nycnewsjunkie said:

Funny you mentioned that; my first thought was “thank God it’s 10am and not 4am.” I know it’s become conventional for stations to start at 4 or 4:30am, but is there really that much of an audience there?

People who work nights?

I know if I was working nights, I'd prefer early morning news over infomercials any day.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, mre29 said:

People who work nights?

I know if I was working nights, I'd prefer early morning news over infomercials any day.

You know what, that’s a good point actually; I’m sorry it skipped my mind. To be fair though, WSVN does air a repeat of the late news during that time, so those viewers do still get relatively (depending on the story) up to-date news, even if it isn’t live.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, MediaZone4K said:

It's strange that a market with such leisure and culture as Miami/Ft Lauderdale doesn't have a lightweight morning newscast. Even the 9am hour on WPLG and WFOR are straight news. (Not counting Deco Drive or 6 in the Mix).

Looking at the quieter overlapping market West Palm, Fox 29 is straight news from 7-9. WPEC and WPBF are also strictly news at nine. Thats five hard newscasts at 9am in South Florida.

I think it may be due to the successful culture WSVN has built through the decades in Miami/Fort Lauderdale. Many of their English-language rivals in the market have taken key elements from them or in the case of WPLG, flat out copied them completely.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 5/20/2023 at 8:24 AM, Georgie56 said:

I think it may be due to the successful culture WSVN has built through the decades in Miami/Fort Lauderdale. Many of their English-language rivals in the market have taken key elements from them or in the case of WPLG, flat out copied them completely.

Agreed. Looking at WTVJ around 1992, you really see the 'SVN effect.

In my own bias..As someone who got up really early mornings for work, and hearing many journalists talk about the negative sleep effects of 2 AM wake ups, I'm not so set on early morning live broadcasts.

Edited by MediaZone4K
  • Like 2

I thought that Sunbeam would've been sold when Ed passed away a couple of years ago the family must like being in the media business. Sunbeam was all news before the other major broadcast groups followed suit 10 to 15 years ago when Sunbeam was all news in the 90s.

On 5/20/2023 at 8:24 AM, Georgie56 said:

And, in the case of ratings, has failed and backfired IMO on WPLG tremendously.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 5/23/2023 at 1:24 AM, Megatron81 said:

I thought that Sunbeam would've been sold when Ed passed away a couple of years ago the family must like being in the media business. Sunbeam was all news before the other major broadcast groups followed suit 10 to 15 years ago when Sunbeam was all news in the 90s.

Why would you assume that once Ed passed they would sell? Ed never had no reason to sell, and he said it himself. i'm sure he told his kids not to give in to corporate pressure. Yes, the family has other

business properties. The small family own stations are trying to hold on to their business holdings, and they come from an old school generation. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

22 hours ago, Breaking News said:

Why would you assume that once Ed passed they would sell? Ed never had no reason to sell, and he said it himself. i'm sure he told his kids not to give in to corporate pressure. Yes, the family has other

business properties. The small family own stations are trying to hold on to their business holdings, and they come from an old school generation. 

Why I assume was maybe the family wasn't interested in the TV media after Ed passed away is all.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, Georgie56 said:

Nope. It’s their own coverage.

I assume that's so that WHDH's anchors and reporters are who viewers see on-screen.

Did they have to bring their own equipment (cameras, mics, vehicle, etc.)?

• 6 months later...