Nexstar acquires KUSI

mrschimpf

17 hours ago, Breaking News said:

I was going to ask, whose building was going to be kept and whose building was going to get left behind. I assume FOX5 would move into KUSI's studios.  KUSI also have a talent pool as well too.

I wonder what talent would be apart of the transition and what talent would leave.

KSWB has a much larger and more modern plant overall and there's been stories out there about how KUSI's shared building (it has another tenant but it looks like the other part is vacant) needs severe maintenance. There's two miles and roads between each studio, so there's not much complication to merging them together.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, mrschimpf said:

KSWB has a much larger and more modern plant overall and there's been stories out there about how KUSI's shared building (it has another tenant but it looks like the other part is vacant) needs severe maintenance. There's two miles and roads between each studio, so there's not much complication to merging them together.

I just can't picture Nexstar being able to fit both operations at either location unless they were to expand the building. If they're going to keep both entities as a semi-separate operation, then they would be wise to start looking at other places they could purchase/remodel.

Either way you slice it, any move(s) Nexstar makes will come with backlash from KUSI's audience. The channel has a niche audience that is not sustainable on it's own. They do run a pretty lean operation there, so any efficiencies will probably be minimal.

The biggest question will be: will they completely dismantle the anchor teams or shift them to different hours as to not compete with FOX 5?

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

50 minutes ago, Luis said:

What's going to happen to K12PO Channel 51 in Temecula one of KUSI-TV translators once the sale of Nexstar Media Group is complete? 

That Temecula translator (which currently have a permit to move to channel 3, becoming "K03JB-D") will stay under McKinnon ownership.

Edited by CircleSeven

33 minutes ago, Luis said:

I thought McKinnon is leaving this station since McKinnon Broadcasting was sold by Nexstar Media Group even if the translator is moving to Channel 3 in Temecula 

McKinnon is only selling full-power signal to Nexstar. The sale does not include the Temecula repeater.

I think I read in the paperwork that the permit for the LP expires later on this week (5/12), so no word if McKinnon is going extend it or not. And no word on what they'll do with that repeater after the KUSI sale is completed.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, A3N said:

I just can't picture Nexstar being able to fit both operations at either location unless they were to expand the building. If they're going to keep both entities as a semi-separate operation, then they would be wise to start looking at other places they could purchase/remodel.

Either way you slice it, any move(s) Nexstar makes will come with backlash from KUSI's audience. The channel has a niche audience that is not sustainable on it's own. They do run a pretty lean operation there, so any efficiencies will probably be minimal.

The biggest question will be: will they completely dismantle the anchor teams or shift them to different hours as to not compete with FOX 5?

FOX5/KUSI soon-to-be combo will be like Denver & St.Louis' Nexstar operation. Your right because both stations air newscast at the same time. Both airing morning news, 4,5,6 & 10/11pm news. FOX5 does 1pm and 7pm. Some of those newscast are going to have to change. It's very interesting on how this will play out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Breaking News said:

FOX5/KUSI soon-to-be combo will be like Denver & St.Louis' Nexstar operation. Your right because both stations air newscast at the same time. Both airing morning news, 4,5,6 & 10/11pm news. FOX5 does 1pm and 7pm. Some of those newscast are going to have to change. It's very interesting on how this will play out.

I think this is about right. Much like Denver and St. Louis, I could see where they might shift around some of the evening newscasts on KUSI to not compete with KSWB. A primetime block on KUSI might make sense. They then can keep the morning blocks the same and compete with one another and differentiate them with "unique talent" even if much of the content is the same, and cheap. The whole point in all of these duopoly markets is to simply maximize ad inventory, not about maximizing the potential for new content.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, C Block said:

I think this is about right. Much like Denver and St. Louis, I could see where they might shift around some of the evening newscasts on KUSI to not compete with KSWB. A primetime block on KUSI might make sense. They then can keep the morning blocks the same and compete with one another and differentiate them with "unique talent" even if much of the content is the same, and cheap. The whole point in all of these duopoly markets is to simply maximize ad inventory, not about maximizing the potential for new content.

You bring up some good points and when Nexstar owned CW outlet in Phoenix. Come to think of it and I don't know why they didn't. Nexstar should of gotten a hold of KTVK/3TV and CW61. That would of made

better sense than 3TV/CBS5.

21 hours ago, Breaking News said:

I think they could eliminate the 7p on KSWB, and basically shift Good Evening San Diego on KUSI from 4p-6p to 7p-9p. Not sure if they keep 10p/11p on KUSI. Maybe simulcast? And also maybe add midday/early afternoon (12p, 2p, or 3p) to KUSI.

What I'll be excited to see is new graphics for KSWB/KUSI. Get rid of those clunky KUSI graphics and finally get ONE cohesive graphics package for KSWB instead of that hodgepodge they went with.

Edited by Bsean
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, rv65 said:

Basically the same arrangement in Fresno, with KSEE and KGPE under one roof but maintaining separate brands and competing in the same time slots. However – KSEE/KGPE have one news director over both brands; if the Times article above is to be believed, KUSI's ND Steve Cohen doesn't have plans to go anywhere and I'm sure KSWB's ND Rich Goldner feels the same. Going to be a fascinating integration between the two, especially if they fully merge the newsrooms as was done in Fresno. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, nycnewsjunkie said:

From the sound of that article, it looks like both stations will be based at KUSI’s building.

I wonder if McKinnon bought out the lease other part of their building they're in then and there's a commitment to remodel it in full (the other side was formerly another business).

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, mrschimpf said:

I wonder if McKinnon bought out the lease other part of their building they're in then and there's a commitment to remodel it in full (the other side was formerly another business).

If the building is that dilapidated, I suppose they intend to do that if they’re going to be housing two news operations there. I wonder why they won’t be moving KUSI over to KSWB’s building instead.

26 minutes ago, mrschimpf said:

Aww man, a total downgrade for KSWB when they move. 

FOX5 is a 2 story building and well kept, however, KUSI’s building is so dated and falling apart. I remember them saying how the roof is leaking in the center of the studio and different parts of the newsroom.

I hope Nexstar will invest and will bring the building up to date.

6 minutes ago, nycnewsjunkie said:

If the building is that dilapidated, I suppose they intend to do that if they’re going to be housing two news operations there. I wonder why they won’t be moving KUSI over to KSWB’s building instead.

KSWB’s building doesn’t have enough space for 2 studios. The way their studio is set up was such a unique design during the WB News at Ten era. (I can’t find the website that shows the design and layout)

Basically, it was a hybrid newsroom and corner studio design along with a curved staircase that leads to an upstairs open area with a balcony and a corner office that overlooks downstairs.

right below the upstairs corner office used to be the news director’s office which is now the weather center when the relocated the newsroom into the center of the building.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, rv65 said:

I’ll believe THAT when I see it. The story is largely sourced from a staffer present at a meeting in which the McKimmons didn’t even say a word.

This feels like spin to hide a massive bloodletting at KUSI and merger at the KSWB building. Nexstar’s purely a bottom line company and there’s no reason for them to maintain two distinct news departments like this. At the same time, they can’t have everyone at KUSI quit in protest over the actual plans.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Rusty Muck said:

I’ll believe THAT when I see it. The story is largely sourced from a staffer present at a meeting in which the McKimmons didn’t even say a word.

This feels like spin to hide a massive bloodletting at KUSI and merger at the KSWB building. Nexstar’s purely a bottom line company and there’s no reason for them to maintain two distinct news departments like this. At the same time, they can’t have everyone at KUSI quit in protest over the actual plans.

I agree with you. It's a little bit laughable but expected, they're pretty much calming the waters in the eyes of their workforce (and in some respects the public) in the midst of a merger. 

So they say the KUSI brand will be "preserved", but that feels rather ambiguous in my eyes.

Kinda sad that KSWB has to move out, they have the most handsome on-air set and backlot out of all the stations in San Diego, hopefully there's no downgrades when they become neighbors with KUSI. 

I do love how the article had to include that KUSI will be receiving upgrades and a new set too (Thank goodness). 😅

I sure hope KUSI/KSWB will a similar set design to what KTLA and WPIX has, that would be so classy. 

Can't see how Paul Rudy, Mark Mathis and Logan Byrnes fit in long term when Nexstar comes in. They're probably making decent money and their positions become redundant when trying to slash costs.

Assuming KSWB's staff stays in place, it'll be dejavu for Elizabeth Alvarez and Misha DiBono in their return to the KUSI building.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Roll back to the KCBS(CBS)/KCAL(IND) merger in Los Angeles many years ago as just one example ... they were told the same thing about separate brands and "the power of 2" with two helicopters (now there's just one shared one with KTTV (FOX LA). These "duopolies" make no sense unless both stations are blended and staff cut .. so it's gonna happen - it's a matter of time. First, newscasts WILL be shifted so they don't compete, reporters will appear on both stations (Learn to turn the mike flag in live shots or look for a new "San Diego News" overall branding) and then the producers and writers will blend. It's just a fact of today's local news realities ... take what Nexstar is saying with a big grain of salt and be ready to adapt. Two sets yes ... for now. It's jobs that will disappear unfortunately. Also, the Times of San Diego article is a bit wrong ... KFMB (CBS) is NOT a CW affiliate - they program CW programming on a digital sub carrier ... It's likely that will end and Nexstar will yank whatever is left of the CW for KUSI. 

• 4 weeks later...