Eight CBS Stations to Ditch CW and Go Independent This Fall

AKA

1 hour ago, AmericanErrorist said:

The source says Hispanic leaders in the area aren't pleased.

I'd say; I can't blame Univision to tell them to go kick rocks (and also pull their affiliation in Portland). And if Sinclair knew they were killing Stadium OTA in September already for A&E's Crumbs..I mean The Nest, why didn't they just put The CW on a KUNS sub in the first place?! Also that 'they have a channel if they want it' line sounds more like a mob threat than a kind offer, as if they should be thankful Sinclair deigned to affiliate them in the first place (which they didn't, they bought out Fisher).

We know where they won't go because of ancient beef though; KFFV and KVOS are out (Weigel/WCIU). KONG's subchannels are fair game though, or KRUM-LD.

Edited by mrschimpf

2 hours ago, CoopInTheHouse said:

Ok, this is from a different thread, but well, I’m gonna post it anyway cause you’re not my mom and you can’t tell me what to do.

Effective this coming Monday, KASW will ditch the CW and become independent. KNXV’s second sub-channel will take the CW.

Smart way to use the WMYD leverage to fix what was an awkward situation of sports lead-ins and outs doing absolutely nothing. TVTitan shows it'll be rebranded so creatively as "Arizona 61", and it combines two Nexstar operations onto one signal for 15.2

• Like 2

I guess Scripps figured the sports real estate was more valuable than the CW.

The irony is that this was a Nexstar station after Meredith dumped it after acquiring KTVK.  They figured cap space elsewhere was more valuable than having a station in Phoenix.

And even more ironic, KASW signed on because KTVK wanted to stay an independent rather than run the WB programming in primetime. 

• Like 2

So, I stumbled across this article in The Desk, from the same day the cease-and-desist was sent to Scripps, in which Adell explains his side of the story on WADL sale/CW affiliation dispute:

While the deal was working its way through the regulatory process, Adell said Nexstar CEO Perry Sook reached out to him to inquire about what it would take to bring CW Network programming to WADL. Adell said he had no interest in running WADL as a CW Network affiliate under his ownership, but he agreed to make certain changes and upgrades at his station because he knew the Mission deal was predicated on WADL becoming the new home of CW Network shows in the market.

“I put a lot of expense into it — changing all the promos, the website, getting the station up to their level, all the fiber [communication lines], all the stuff they wanted,” Adell told The Desk on Wednesday. “[Nexstar] gave me a to-do list. And I said, no problem. It’s just a checkbook and a list of things to do.”

Shortly after the upgrades were done, Adell said Nexstar sent “some old, retired guy” to hand-deliver a contract concerning the CW Network. Adell said he was not impressed with the way the Nexstar executive looked — he mentioned more than once that the executive, whom he didn’t name, was wearing gym shoes — but he was particularly unimpressed with the deal Nexstar wanted him to sign, which would have made WADL the home of the CW Network for 36 months.

Adell said he refused to sign the agreement, fearing that if Mission backed out of the deal for WADL, he would be stuck with the CW Network for three years. He didn’t want to run a CW Network affiliate — he wanted to sell the station. “I built the station from the ground up,” Adell said. “The reason why I’m selling it is because I took it as far as I could take it — I can’t take it any farther. There’s nothing more for me to do.” But Adell feared if he signed the agreement, he might lose his leverage in selling the station. When asked by The Desk if he was open to an agreement with a shorter affiliation term — say, three to six months — Adell curtly replied that he “wouldn’t sign an affiliate deal for three seconds.”

After the visit from the “old retired guy,” Adell said he reached out to Sook with a different offer: Nexstar would pay WADL to distribute CW Network programming until the deal with Mission went through. Once the purchase was consummated, Mission and Nexstar could do whatever they wanted with the station, and Adell would be up $75 million and then some.

Adell said that offer went nowhere. When he called Nexstar to try to talk with Sook, he was told more than once that Sook was too busy or had left for the day. (When The Desk reached out to Nexstar for comment on this story, a receptionist put the call on hold, then said the company’s spokesperson, Gary Weitman, had gone home.) Feeling rebuffed, Adell used the last bit of leverage he felt he had: Earlier this month, he dropped the CW Network from WADL. The move didn’t send Nexstar back to his doorstep; instead, on Monday, the company announced an agreement with Scripps to move the CW Network affiliation to WMYD.

The announcement infuriated Adell. The two stations have a long-running — and, at times, acrimonious — feud in the Detroit market, where a heightened sense of competition has led to a bitter rivalry between two companies whose main offices are less than 100 feet from each other. (Adell Broadcasting is co-located with Adell’s other venture, the international religious outlet The Word Network, which is next door to WMYD; WADL’s studios are in a different part of the city.)

As Adell sees it, Scripps should have known that he had a pending deal for Mission to purchase WADL, and that the entire agreement was predicated on WADL becoming the new home of the CW Network. After all, the acquisition was widely reported, and transaction-related documents that were filed with the FCC are public records that can be easily discovered with a Google search.

“It would be like if I took the ABC affiliation from Channel 7,” Adell said, referring to WXYZ-TV (Channel 7, ABC), which is also owned by Scripps. “What would happen to that deal? They would sue me for interfering, don’t you think?” (A spokesperson for Scripps declined to comment on the matter.)

Edited by T.L. Hughes
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 3
  • Concerned 1
  • Thought-Provoking 2

On 11/17/2023 at 9:51 PM, T.L. Hughes said:

So, I stumbled across this article in The Desk, from the same day the cease-and-desist was sent to Scripps, in which Adell explains his side of the story on WADL sale/CW affiliation dispute:

I suppose he explained this so people would see his point of view.

In reality, he just looks like more of a moron than ever. Especially since he flat out admitted that he wanted nothing to do with The CW in the first place, and only let WADL affiliate with it because he was planning to sell.

Then why the hell is he whining about WMYD taking the affiliation he specifically said he didn't want in the first place?????

EDIT 11/27/2023: And he's got Jesse Jackson and the families of the original African-American investors to back him. Somehow.

Edited by Adam MadMan
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

All of this wasn’t mentioned before, but I guess now is the “perfect time” to post it since the switch happens tomorrow.

KVOS (currently an affiliate of H&I) will take the Univision affiliation from KUNS on January 1st. Weigel quietly updated the station’s website to reflect on the switch. It is unknown whether or not Univision’s main-channel coverage will remain in a simulcast in Seattle over KFFV’s third subchannel, which currently broadcasts as H&I, and H&I’s new channel position among the two stations. With KVOS’s unique status, Univision’s domestic schedule will also be available over the air in Vancouver, Victoria, and southwest British Columbia for the very first time, conflicting with TelevisaUnivision’s joint venture specialty channel in Canada with TLN, Univision Canada.

31 minutes ago, CoopInTheHouse said:

All of this wasn’t mentioned before, but I guess now is the “perfect time” to post it since the switch happens tomorrow.

KVOS (currently an affiliate of H&I) will take the Univision affiliation from KUNS on January 1st. Weigel quietly updated the station’s website to reflect on the switch. It is unknown whether or not Univision’s main-channel coverage will remain in a simulcast in Seattle over KFFV’s third subchannel, which currently broadcasts as H&I, and H&I’s new channel position among the two stations. With KVOS’s unique status, Univision’s domestic schedule will also be available over the air in Vancouver, Victoria, and southwest British Columbia for the very first time, conflicting with TelevisaUnivision’s joint venture specialty channel in Canada with TLN, Univision Canada.

This was mentioned, but in a different thread.

Thing is, KFFV would have to keep the KVOS simulcast, considering that its Grade B signal contour (as the FCC contour map indicates) basically stops at the northern end of downtown Seattle. Given that KFFV's transmitter is based in Seattle proper and therefore provides city-grade signal coverage throughout the Seattle metropolitan area, it would have made more sense for Weigel to put Univision on KFFV's main channel and move MeTV to a different sub (presumably DT2).

Oklahoma City has a similar odd setup where its Univision affiliate, KUOK, has its full-power transmitter based near Woodward (~140 miles away, with a signal that doesn't even extend into central Oklahoma), forcing it to rely on a subchannel simulcast on its Telemundo-affiliated sister KTUZ-TV and a low-power translator (all are owned by Tyler Media Group) to provide city-grade coverage within the Oklahoma City area.

Edited by T.L. Hughes

Well, it happened today. KUNS made the switch, and Steamboat Willie can be used any which way legally, but that’s really not important to the story! (Weird Al Show, anyone?)

The last program on Univision was “Está historia me suena” and the first program in the CW format was (what else?) “The National Desk”. KUNS will air a 1-hour delay of the KOMO 11:00am news, along with 3 1/2 hours of The National Desk before CW primetime (not counting The National Desk and The National Weather Desk before one of the airings of “Seattle Refined”, also airing on KOMO of course). Other than Justice with The People and The Kelly Clarkson Show (which also already airs on KOMO), there is practically no syndicated programming on channel 51.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CoopInTheHouse said:

Other than Justice with The People and The Kelly Clarkson Show (which also already airs on KOMO), there is practically no syndicated programming on channel 51.

That’s literally all of it and it airs in the middle of the night. Basically their entire lineup is The National Desk, ARC Seattle and Seattle Refined. They couldn’t air KOMO news from 7-9am and 10pm?😳

2 hours ago, CoopInTheHouse said:

Other than Justice with The People and The Kelly Clarkson Show (which also already airs on KOMO), there is practically no syndicated programming on channel 51.

Actually, the bulk of the station's syndicated programming seems to be concentrated on weekends.

Looking at TVPassport, the vast majority of the weekend schedule will be filled by barter shows:

* Six of Allen Media's current first-run and off-network weekend shows: SOS: How to Survive, Cars.TV, Kickin' It, The World's Funniest Weather (and two Weather Channel shows I wasn't aware AMG had sold into OTA syndication) Top 10 and Deadline to Disaster;

* Heartland (the long-running and still-running CBC family drama);

Forensic Factor;

Raceweek;

Just for Laughs Gags

Country Fix (apparently a music video program);

* and Positively America with Ernie Anastos (a show from Alex Paen's Telco featuring interviews and "uplifting" stories)

In addition, E/I shows Awesome Adventures and Wild About Animals will fill additional E/I commitments outside of the One Magnificent Morning block on Saturdays.

Edited by T.L. Hughes

1 minute ago, T.L. Hughes said:

Actually, the bulk of the station's syndicated programming seems to be concentrated on weekends. The vast majority of the weekend schedule will be filled by being barter shows including most of Allen Media's current first-run and off-network output (including two Weather Channel shows I wasn't aware it had sold into OTA syndication, Top 10 and Deadline to Disaster), Heartland (the long-running and still-running CBC family drama), Forensic Factor, Raceweek, Just for Laughs Gags, Country Fix (apparently a music video program) and Positively America with Ernie Anastos (a show from Alex Paen's Telco featuring interviews and "uplifting" stories) as well as the E/I shows Awesome Adventures and Wild About Animals (filling additional E/I commitments outside of the One Magnificent Morning block).

True, I was only talking about weekdays. They may purchase more for the fall.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 11/15/2023 at 9:49 AM, CoopInTheHouse said:

Ok, this is from a different thread, but well, I’m gonna post it anyway cause you’re not my mom and you can’t tell me what to do.

Effective this coming Monday, KASW will ditch the CW and become independent. KNXV’s second sub-channel will take the CW.

Update here: I was randomly fooling around on Wikipedia and found some amusing information.

KAZT-TV in Phoenix took The CW as of last week (February 1st). The reasoning? Nexstar entered into a time brokerage agreement with KAZT’s owner, Londen Media Group, to program the station.

11 minutes ago, CoopInTheHouse said:

Update here: I was randomly fooling around on Wikipedia and found some amusing information.

KAZT-TV in Phoenix took The CW as of last week (February 1st). The reasoning? Nexstar entered into a time brokerage agreement with KAZT’s owner, Londen Media Group, to program the station.

Old news….but apparently it had not been posted in this thread. 

Edited by Nelson R.