Eight CBS Stations to Ditch CW and Go Independent This Fall

AKA

1 hour ago, tyrannical bastard said:

In Detroit, how many Canadian stations are available to American viewers?  IIRC, CBET (CBC) was the only one, and actually has cable viewership that extends past Toledo into places like Bowling Green and Sandusky.

When I was in Windsor many years ago, They carried all of the Detroit stations (sim-subbing American content with the channels it's carried on) but all of the Detroit newscasts were carried on their respective stations.   This was back during WWJ's first attempt at news.

According to CRTC signal maps (per RabbitEars), the only other Canadian stations receivable in Detroit are a translator of Ontario’s PBS analogue, TVOntario (CICO-32), and a translator of Wheatley CTV2 O&O CHWI-DT (CHWI-60). The former’s signal covers the entire Detroit Metro, while the latter’s signal only has rimshot Grade B and city-grade coverage confined to downtown Detroit.

The rest—CHWI-DT, Leamington multicultural independent CFTV, and translators of Toronto Global O&O CIII-DT (CIII-22/Stevenson and CIII-29/Sarnia) and Hamilton independent CHCH-DT (CHCH-2/London)—are either not visible in Metro Detroit (CFTV, CIII-22 and CHWI-DT have signal contours that either brush up against the Detroit River or stop near Windsor’s eastern city limits) or are only visible in the northeast outer suburbs.

Edited by T.L. Hughes

21 minutes ago, AmericanErrorist said:

That's even less likely than normal because of the Canadian shows on the network schedule (at normal this proposal files against long-standing ownership restrictions against non-Canadian broadcasters).

I definitely know that, but it is Nexstar and they'll look for any way to get the network on. I do think more likely that there will be a preliminary injunction and WADL will have to carry it until the sale because there's been no injury to the station at all and they did enter into a legally binding agreement, and I'm sure we'll hear Nexstar/Mission's side soon enough. This isn't Bridge or Get After It we're talking about where a station can just tell them to sit and spin to get out of their agreement to carry Retro TV.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, T.L. Hughes said:

and a translator of Wheatley CTV2 O&O CHWI-DT (CHWI-60)

For those not in the know, CTV2 is a separate service from the main CTV network airing less prominent programming (their local O&O stations' newscasts are branded "CTV News" because using the CTV2 brand would imply that they would be a lesser product).

Edited by AmericanErrorist

What's the harm (benefit) in showing CW network programming on NewsNation in the Detroit market?   Just like the old WGN days when they were used as a WB affiliate for the entire country, especially those markets that couldn't clear the network.

I know it's never going to happen because of how highly Nexstar (and Perry Sook) thinks of this third-rate "news" operation that gets trounced by NewsMax in the ratings....

Edited by tyrannical bastard

2 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

What's the harm (benefit) in showing CW network programming on NewsNation in the Detroit market?   Just like the old WGN days when they were used as a WB affiliate for the entire country, especially those markets that couldn't clear the network.

I know it's never going to happen because of how highly Nexstar (and Perry Sook) thinks of this third-rate "news" operation that gets trounced by NewsMax in the ratings....

Yeah, I agree with you. NewsNation’s NEVER gonna go back to WGN America. Back to this CW-WADL disaffiliation thing, I think one of the best candidates would be WMYD BY FAR.

How much of the CW content is Canadian, and where does it come from?

If the Adell deal is cancelled, I could see Nexstar buying one or more of the low-powered stations in the Detroit area just to get a station to bundle retransmission rights with NewsNation to get it on cable, satellite and the OTT platforms.  Even if they have to enter into a time brokerage agreement until the regulation clears, these stations should be free and clear.  But entering a new market for this purpose could be another regulatory hurdle the FCC could take issue with....

1 hour ago, tyrannical bastard said:

How much of the CW content is Canadian, and where does it come from?

CTV dramas Sullivan's Crossing andThe Spencer Sisters, as well as most of the Thursday sitcom lineup: Son of a Critch, Run the Burbs (both CBC) and Children Ruin Everything (CTV, previously streamed in US on The Roku Channel) making 3 1/2 hours of programming. The shows are either supplied by their individual producers or CTV (the CBC isn't allowed to own its prime-time entertainment programming).

Edited by AmericanErrorist

53 minutes ago, AmericanErrorist said:

CTV dramas Sullivan's Crossing andThe Spencer Sisters, as well as most of the Thursday sitcom lineup: Son of a Critch, Run the Burbs (both CBC) and Children Ruin Everything (CTV, previously streamed in US on The Roku Channel) making 3 1/2 hours of programming. The shows are either supplied by their individual producers or CTV (the CBC isn't allowed to own its prime-time entertainment programming).

You sure about that? The CBC logo and copyright are included during the end credits of most of their domestic scripted and alternative programs, and since 2021 (as evidenced with Heartland, which is syndicated in the U.S. and began including this tag with its 14th season), most of their domestic scripted shows are identified as being “A CBC Production”.

That gives the impression that the network/Crown corporation maintains ownership of (at least, some of) its domestic non-news-and-sports programming.

Edited by T.L. Hughes

10 hours ago, T.L. Hughes said:

You sure about that? The CBC logo and copyright are included during the end credits of most of their domestic scripted and alternative programs, and since 2021 (as evidenced with Heartland, which is syndicated in the U.S. and began including this tag with its 14th season), most of their domestic scripted shows are identified as being “A CBC Production”.

That gives the impression that the network/Crown corporation maintains ownership of (at least, some of) its domestic non-news-and-sports programming.

Yes, the CBC does get to put their logo on shows with a "produced in association with"  credit, but that tag you speak of actually says "A CBC Original" (they go into more detail here).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AmericanErrorist said:

Yes, the CBC does get to put their logo on shows with a "produced in association with"  credit, but that tag you speak of actually says "A CBC Original" (they go into more detail here).

Usually, an “original program” is produced in conjunction with the network/streaming service that airs the program or, in cases like with CBS Studios (for CBS programs) and Universal Television (for NBC programs), the primary television production unit of its parent company. The CBC arrangement meets the financing criteria of an original program to an extent (albeit with Cancon production funds contributing to the project).

Edited by T.L. Hughes

2 hours ago, The Frog said:

The link's down for whatever reason, but looking ahead on the website's schedule, which uses TitanTV, does support this. I clearly saw The CW programming running in prime time from 11/13 onwards; it also shows MyNetworkTV programming moving to 11 pm, after the news.

2 minutes ago, Adam MadMan said:

The link's down for whatever reason, but looking ahead on the website's schedule, which uses TitanTV, does support this. I clearly saw The CW programming running in prime time from 11/13 onwards; it also shows MyNetworkTV programming moving to 11 pm, after the news.

WADL dropping MyNetworkTV too?

26 minutes ago, Adam MadMan said:

I think what you saw was the syndicated Chicago Fire and Law and Order: SVU. Which has aired every night in primetime since they lost MyNet to WADL. I know, confusing.

They must have just updated them.

Edited by Nelson R.

Nexstar oh, I mean Mission didn't need to buy WADL I think Scripps would've taken The CW for WMYD TV20 you think they will rebrand to CW20? It was that or maybe on a subchannel for Graham in Detroit. I knew The CW wasn't going to be without The CW for long. 

6 hours ago, Rusty Muck said:

Nexstar may have been willing to sacrifice their existing CW affiliations in Phoenix and Tucson if it meant signing with WMYD (and re-signing with WSFL?). Scripps controlled each and every aspect of these talks.

Nexstar also lost CW OTA affiliates in Montana.

On 11/4/2023 at 12:33 PM, JCB4TV said:

Nexstar also lost CW OTA affiliates in Montana.

Nexstar took over the CW Plus affiliations in Billings and Butte for the DT2 subchannels of ABC affiliate KSVI and Butte translator K23LW-D2.

The decision by Scripps’ Montana Television Network to drop The CW from its DT2s and convert them into independents cost the network distribution in the Great Falls/Helena, Glendive and Missoula markets, where Nexstar could’ve moved The CW Plus to other stations since KSVI/KHMT are the only stations they run in that state.

Edited by T.L. Hughes

On 8/27/2023 at 5:19 PM, Georgie56 said:

WUPA is keeping Atlanta NOW News, moving it to 8pm. I assume it’ll be a full Atlanta-focused newscast produced out of Dallas, as it was pre-NOW, since the hybrid local-national show is ending on Thursday.

I believe it’s produced out of New York City.

3 hours ago, T.L. Hughes said:

The decision by Scripps’ Montana Television Network to drop The CW from its DT2s and convert them into independents cost the network distribution in the Great Falls/Helena, Glendive and Missoula markets, where Nexstar could’ve moved The CW Plus to other stations since KSVI/KHMT is the only station they run in that state.

Glendive's covered by The CW+ and has been since the WB100 days; KXGN never contracted with any network lower than temporarily Fox in the 90s to serve the area's football fans until KHMT was re-established for the bulk of eastern Montana.

2 hours ago, mrschimpf said:

Glendive's covered by The CW+ and has been since the WB100 days; KXGN never contracted with any network lower than temporarily Fox in the 90s to serve the area's football fans until KHMT was re-established for the bulk of eastern Montana.

I’m not entirely sure Glendive CW still exists. A “Find My Station” ZIP code search on The CW’s website currently doesn’t turn up an affiliate for Glendive. Mid-Rivers Communications, the city’s cable provider, had apparently been piping in KBZK-DT2 out of Bozeman to provide CW Plus programming to the area until it became an independent. (Adding to the confusion, Zap2It has both KBZK-DT2 listed on Mid-Rivers’ ”Choice” channel lineup and a generic CW Plus feed—which may actually be the KBZK subchannel as it appears to track with the OTA station positions on both packages—listed on its basic lineup.)

Edited by T.L. Hughes