Eight CBS Stations to Ditch CW and Go Independent This Fall

AKA

1 hour ago, Georgie56 said:

I guess talks with Tegna fell apart. If I had to guess, it was because of the Atlanta situation. While Tegna did have KONG as leverage, Nexstar's relationship with Gray took precedence, hence WPCH being chosen over WATL, which probably led Tegna to take KONG off the market.

Has to be on one of the two subchannels, either 4.2 or 4.3, Comet/Charge. The subchannel programming would be reduced to non-CW timeslots, i.e., outside of primetime, Saturday E/I and weekend sports. No way in our dreams that KOMO would drop their decades-long partnership with ABC just so low-rate World's Funniest Weather could have primetime clearance. "CW4" is NEVER happening.

16 minutes ago, Adam MadMan said:

I guess talks with Tegna fell apart. If I had to guess, it was because of the Atlanta situation. While Tegna did have KONG as leverage, Nexstar's relationship with Gray took precedence, hence WPCH being chosen over WATL, which probably led Tegna to take KONG off the market.

I think Tegna was hesitant to sign in both cities because of the San Diego situation. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Georgie56 said:

Turns out WLNY and maybe a few of the existing independents are getting the new “City#” logo as well.

image0.jpeg

I guess it’s better than the butchered KCAL logo, but geez that looks awful. I know these stations are far from CBS’ priority, but you’d think they’d put a little bit of effort here.

9 minutes ago, nycnewsjunkie said:

I guess it’s better than the butchered KCAL logo, but geez that looks awful. I know these stations are far from CBS’ priority, but you’d think they’d put a little bit of effort here.

The station was won for a golf club membership so ANY effort is better than none. 

• Haha 5

On 8/31/2023 at 9:09 PM, gsrecaps said:

YouTube TV has already changed both KAUT's and WPHL's logos ahead of time to their CW logos.

Oddly enough, YTTV wasn’t provided with KOCB’s new logo yet, resulting in two CW affiliate logos on the guide (I screenshotted this only a few minutes before this post):

Screenshot2023-08-31at10_54_26PM.thumb.png.e0bb87c4774f91f742bfe7126003847f.png

As an aside, YTTV is a bit hit-and-miss when it comes to updating channel logos: it has updated those of NBC, HLN, BBC News and NBC LX Home (the latter switched from a youth-skewing news format to a lifestyle format in early August) in recent months, but somehow still hasn’t changed the logos for TCM (although, awkwardly, both the current and former logos are shown on its channel tab), UniMás, SundanceTV, BBC America and ABC.

The CW’s VOD library was also moved to KAUT’s channel tab hours ahead of the switch becoming official. (I presume KRON, WPHL and WTTA added the network’s VOD content ahead of time as well.)

Update (9/4): KOCB’s YTTV channel ID has switched to the new logo:

Screenshot2023-09-04at11_05_26PM.thumb.png.438686c194d6d68d34affec43f045ed3.png

Edited by T.L. Hughes

It’s September 1st and my tv provider which is HuluTV, still offers the now independent station WKBD, instead of the new CW affiliate, WADL.  Not sure if it’s because the switch just happened, but if WADL still isn’t offered on HuluTV when the provider is supposed to offer the CW affiliate in addition to the Fox, CBS, ABC, and NBC affiliate, then I’m going to know that WADL’s bad signal just might be the issue.  Hopefully that’s solved very soon.

Edited by CircleWXYZ

27 minutes ago, CircleWXYZ said:

It’s September 1st and my tv provider which is HuluTV, still offers the now independent station WKBD, instead of the new CW affiliate, WADL.  Not sure if it’s because the switch just happened, but if WADL still isn’t offered on HuluTV when the provider is supposed to offer the CW affiliate in addition to the Fox, CBS, ABC, and NBC affiliate, then I’m going to know that WADL’s bad signal just might be the issue.  Hopefully that’s solved veer soon.

YouTube TV also offers WKBD as well. WADL is not on there yet.

1 hour ago, CircleWXYZ said:

It’s September 1st and my tv provider which is HuluTV, still offers the now independent station WKBD, instead of the new CW affiliate, WADL.  Not sure if it’s because the switch just happened, but if WADL still isn’t offered on HuluTV when the provider is supposed to offer the CW affiliate in addition to the Fox, CBS, ABC, and NBC affiliate, then I’m going to know that WADL’s bad signal just might be the issue.  Hopefully that’s solved veer soon.

I think part of the problem is that Nexstar...err...Mission hasn't fully acquired the station yet and I highly doubt Adell is working with Hulu and YTTV to get their channel on those two platforms as they have one foot out the door already. 

• Like 2

According to the Seattle Times, they're still running Comet during non-CW hours. Either that's a sign of the syndication market's inexorable decline, all the other stations taking all the decent programming, talks being really down to the wire, or just weapon's grade laziness on Sinclair's part.

Edited by Adam MadMan

19 minutes ago, Adam MadMan said:

According to the Seattle Times, they're still running Comet during non-CW hours. Either that's a sign of the syndication market's inexorable decline, all the other stations taking all the decent programming, talks being really down to the wire, or just weapon's grade laziness on Sinclair's part.

Agree with everything but the last part; if anything, it’s sensible on Sinclair’s part to just use their existing diginet as filler (at least for the time being) instead of spending a boatload on syndicated fare to essentially program a new station from the ground up (with two days notice, mind you). If anyone is to blame for this, it’s Nexstar for not being able to grab an affiliate until the 11th hour.

• Like 2