Eight CBS Stations to Ditch CW and Go Independent This Fall

AKA

16 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

Nexstar website says its WPCH.

Seems odd they weren’t able to cut a deal with Tegna to put The CW on WATL; that makes it an open question whether KONG will join the network as a replacement for KSTW hasn’t been confirmed.

This also would mean WPCH will not be an independent for the first time in its 56-year history. (It has been an indie since the station signed on as WJRJ, pre-Turner, in 1967.)

Edited by T.L. Hughes

2 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Well, so much for the "SuperStation" that launched basic cable ending up as a network affiliate after all of these years.

I mean, that “SuperStation” died in 2007, so this isn’t much of a change. They’re going from an independent that aired news and reruns to airing 2 hours of the CW per day (along with said news and reruns). Nbd imo, although it really shouldn’t have taken this long to announce this.

Edited by nycnewsjunkie
Comment unfinished when originally posted
  • Like 5

15 minutes ago, bostonmediaguy said:

Well it did confirm that they are launching an 8pm newscast on KDKA+, which I'm not so sure I agree with.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nycnewsjunkie said:

I mean, that “SuperStation” died in 2007, so this isn’t much of a change. They’re going from an independent that aired news and reruns to airing 2 hours of the CW per day (along with said news and reruns). Nbd imo, although it really shouldn’t have taken this long to announce this.

Not to mention, sports.

Also, WPCH is technically still a superstation in Canada… and considering that The CW is now running Canadian imports like Son of a Critch and Children Ruin Everything, this means those shows will join the network’s past and present American-produced originals in being subjected to simsubbing over WPCH’s signal on cable and satellite providers there (since the aforementioned imports are produced as originals for domestic networks like CTV).

Edited by T.L. Hughes
  • Like 3

42 minutes ago, bostonmediaguy said:

What I find interesting is that there will be no prime time news on KTSW, WTOG, or WKBD

yet there will be 8pm news on WUPA 

5 minutes ago, T.L. Hughes said:

Not to mention, sports.

Also, WPCH is technically still a superstation in Canada, which poses an interesting situation given that The CW is now running Canadian imports like Son of a Critch and Children Ruin Everything, likely subjecting them to simsubbing over WPCH’s signal on cable and satellite providers there (since they are originals on domestic networks like CTV), like the network’s American-produced originals have been.

I’d be really interested to know what kind of viewership WPCH gets in Canada….I doubt it significant. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, atlnews2 said:

What I find interesting is that there will be no prime time news on KTSW, WTOG, or WKBD

yet there will be 8pm news on WUPA 

The lack of prime time news on WKBD is odd, for obvious reasons. We can forgive KSTW and WTOG for not having news on their new prime time schedules, since they haven’t had news departments since Paramount Stations Group shut their existing ones down in the late ‘90s, aren’t connected to a co-owned CBS News Local operation (unlike WKBD and the other newly minted indies, save for WUPA), and Now is no longer a thing (outside of WUPA, apparently).

Edited by T.L. Hughes

15 minutes ago, atlnews2 said:

I’d be really interested to know what kind of viewership WPCH gets in Canada….I doubt it significant. 

WGN had the same issue until it dumped the CW, so I don't see why this is so panic-inducing, and Gray already sends a different feed to Canada of WPCH which fills in local advertiser content that isn't relevant in Saskatoon with extra runs of the shows they have rights to. I'm sure Gray and Nexstar do have plans for that feed and whatever allowances Bell and Shaw need to keep the feed going (expect LOTS of domestic paid programming blocks on the weekends).

The other thing...are we just all allergic to "TV" branding now? "TV-50" is a lot more remembered than "Detroit 50", along with "KSTWashington".

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, mrschimpf said:

The other thing...are we just all allergic to "TV" branding now? "TV-50" is a lot more remembered than "Detroit 50", along with "KSTWashington".

TBH, I was surprised CBSNS didn’t choose to rebrand KSTW as “Northwest 11” (resurrecting the moniker that station used in the early 1990s under Gaylord ownership), instead of “Seattle 11”.

Edited by T.L. Hughes
  • Like 3

52 minutes ago, atlnews2 said:

What I find interesting is that there will be no prime time news on KSTW

KPIX was producing local news inserts for its short lived 10pm Seattle News Now. I guess it wasn’t attracting much viewership to launch a news dept.

I guess it’s back to square one producing only weather reports for Seattle with the previous CBSN block weather graphics on its website.

1 hour ago, mrschimpf said:

WGN had the same issue until it dumped the CW, so I don't see why this is so panic-inducing, and Gray already sends a different feed to Canada of WPCH which fills in local advertiser content that isn't relevant in Saskatoon with extra runs of the shows they have rights to. I'm sure Gray and Nexstar do have plans for that feed and whatever allowances Bell and Shaw need to keep the feed going (expect LOTS of domestic paid programming blocks on the weekends).

The current listings for PCH in Canada on TVTV for Monday have Son of a Crich and Children ATM.

51 minutes ago, SFTV said:

KPIX was producing local news inserts for its short lived 10pm Seattle News Now. I guess it wasn’t attracting much viewership to launch a news dept.

I guess it’s back to square one producing only weather reports for Seattle with the previous CBSN block weather graphics on its website.

The problem is that they have virtually no physical plant in Seattle. The nominal main studio is the transmitter site; there was a sales office somewhere (don't have the address), but it closed in 2020. WUPA has insufficient space—it has not moved since it began broadcasting in 1981. (Nor has WTOG, though that building did once house a news department.)

Paramount moved KSTW in August 2001 from Tacoma to 602 Oakesdale Ave. SW in Renton. The station had a sales office in Seattle (which it closed at that time) and its 1976-vintage Tacoma plant, which now is a Bates Technical College facility (KBTC is there, and there is an adjoining building built by the college). It seems they were not in Renton long. They then wound up at 1000 Dexter Avenue North, Seattle (South Lake Union area), home to the CBS Radio cluster. (There is a 21-photo tour of CBS Radio Seattle on Flickr from 2006!) That facility is long-gone as well, with the now-Audacy stations being elsewhere.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, T.L. Hughes said:

The lack of prime time news on WKBD is odd, for obvious reasons. We can forgive KSTW and WTOG for not having news on their new prime time schedules, since they haven’t had news departments since Paramount Stations Group shut their existing ones down in the late ‘90s, aren’t connected to a co-owned CBS News Local operation (unlike WKBD and the other newly minted indies, save for WUPA), and Now is no longer a thing (outside of WUPA, apparently).

They seem to be more focused on getting the WWJ weekend newscasts up and running.  That seems to be the immediate focus right now.

Edited by CircleWXYZ