2023 Writers & Actors Strike discussion

hmaxhanson

I'm taking it upon myself to create the forum's official thread for discussion of the programming decisions affected by the 2023 Writers Strike, whether it be a few days or a few months. 

As expected, all late night shows will be airing reruns for an indefinite period of time, whether or not they can soon return without writers like in 2008 remains to be seen.

https://deadline.com/2023/05/writers-strike-late-night-shows-to-shut-down-immediately-1235352054/

And in a move that was probably in the works before the strike, Dancing With the Stars is returning to ABC.

https://deadline.com/2023/05/dancing-with-the-stars-moving-back-to-abc-1235353662/

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 4

17 minutes ago, TVLurker said:

i thought about making this thread but didn't think it would fit the topic of TV News. still sad to see it come to this though

It's news. It's about TV. It's relevant. You're fine!

We were just discussing the Late Late Show ending over the weekend after all...

• Like 5

53 minutes ago, nickp said:

Greg Gutfeld's late-night show is unaffected by the WGA strike and will continue to proceed as scheduled

is Gutfeld gonna make all the late night shows obsolete by taking advantage of that? lord forbid.

• Sad 1
  • Concerned 1

Whoopi started The View explaining they had no writers because of the strike, which was evident because the normally elaborate open was only like 30 seconds and simply mentioned they would discuss hot topics and the voice-over wasn’t specific, like normal. 

53 minutes ago, TVLurker said:

is Gutfeld gonna make all the late night shows obsolete by taking advantage of that? lord forbid.

I would assume that some of the people starving for Late Night comedy will turn to that. Back when the 1988 writers strike put the Tonight Show and Late Night into reruns, Fox's Late Show stayed on air, with freelance comics Jeff Joseph and Jordan Mulrooney writing:?url=https%3A%2F%2Fimg.newspapers.com%2Fimg%2Fimg%3Fuser%3D449813%26id%3D137341735%26clippingId%3D123958432%26width%3D820%26height%3D1450%26crop%3D187_230_1242_2197%26rotation%3D0&w=1920&q=75

Quick question, did the Joan Rivers and Arsenio Hall eras of the Late Show have WGA writers?

Edited by hmaxhanson

I thought that there was going to be a writers strike I believe the fall season will be delayed until Oct in my opinion. Te late night shows will return come Sep with or without writers if the strike is still going on.

3 hours ago, nickp said:

Greg Gutfeld's late-night show is unaffected by the WGA strike and will continue to proceed as scheduled

He doesn't have any real broad-based appeal. Those that like him are already watching him so he is largely irrelevant.  Now If we were talking about a personality like Joe Rogan, then that would be a different story.

I could see this strike lasting a while (maybe early/mid August) given the timing. If it started, say, at the beginning of the tv season, there may have been heavy pressure to reach a deal. My guess is that tv executives will drag their feet on this as long as they can.

Edited by jase
  • Like 3

I forget that Gutfeld even exists. Turned it on for 20 seconds.

Tattooed, backwards hat guy, draped in a wrestling belt: "Jill Biden isn't a real doctor," because she can't do surgery, or whatever shit.

Annnnnnnd, pass.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

14 hours ago, hmaxhanson said:

I would assume that some of the people starving for Late Night comedy will turn to that. Back when the 1988 writers strike put the Tonight Show and Late Night into reruns, Fox's Late Show stayed on air, with freelance comics Jeff Joseph and Jordan Mulrooney writing:?url=https%3A%2F%2Fimg.newspapers.com%2Fimg%2Fimg%3Fuser%3D449813%26id%3D137341735%26clippingId%3D123958432%26width%3D820%26height%3D1450%26crop%3D187_230_1242_2197%26rotation%3D0&w=1920&q=75

Quick question, did the Joan Rivers and Arsenio Hall eras of the Late Show have WGA writers?

I see they mention Daniel Rosen in the article. He was one of the people who tried to replace Rod Roddy on TPIR, and wasn't well-received. Didn't know he also announced that version of Candid Camera as well. 

Edited by Newsjunkie24

15 hours ago, hmaxhanson said:

Back when the 1988 writers strike put the Tonight Show and Late Night into reruns, Fox's Late Show stayed on air, with freelance comics Jeff Joseph and Jordan Mulrooney writing:

And on '07, Letterman and Ferguson were able to return sooner than the rest because World Wide Pants (Letterman's production company) owned the shows- not the networks and were able to create their own temporary agreement with the writers (Guessing Letterman himself must have funded that?). Not sure if any of the late night shows can pull that now with their respective networks owning production rights?

• Like 4

16 hours ago, jase said:

I could see this strike lasting a while (maybe early/mid August) given the timing. If it started, say, at the beginning of the tv season, there may have been heavy pressure to reach a deal. My guess is that tv executives will drag their feet on this as long as they can.

I agree, since based on some of the reports on the strike is that the film side has enough scripts written for the Late 2023-2024 film releases to stay in production until September.

Edited by elfuego35

In case you're looking for a barometer of how bad the MTV Movie Awards had it, even the PA announcer wasn't crossing the picket line; John Cramer (he of the 3¢ Byron Allen shows) is performing announcer duties tonight; you never hear him on anything but the cheapest productions.

Also it's a weird hybrid of pretapes and a ceremony history preshow that somehow, PG is still roadblocking on ten networks rather than isolating to one, when it feels like something that should air three hours before the show itself...in 2009, before they became the All-Week Ridiculousness Conveyance Medium.

Edited by mrschimpf
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, mrschimpf said:

In case you're looking for a barometer of how bad the MTV Movie Awards had it, even the PA announcer wasn't crossing the picket line; John Cramer (he of the 3¢ Byron Allen shows) is performing announcer duties tonight; you never hear him on anything but the cheapest productions.

Also it's a weird hybrid of pretapes and a ceremony history preshow that somehow, PG is still roadblocking on ten networks rather than isolating to one, when it feels like something that should air three hours before the show itself...in 2009, before they became the All-Week Ridiculousness Conveyance Medium.

John didn't used to do cheap productions. He was the VO for the short-lived big money revival of 21 with Maury and also the original version of the Weakest Link back in the early 2000's. He also was the voice of TVG Network back in the late 2000's. Besides Byron's shows and the awards last night, I'm not sure if he does anything else anymore.

• Like 2

Will Jeopardy even be able to keep going during a prolonged strike? Or will Season 40 have to be delayed till its over? I can see 4 weeks of reruns being filled by half-hour repeats of the Jeopardy Masters games, like how they reran the Greatest of All Time shows during the height of COVID.

https://deadline.com/2023/05/writers-strike-jeopardy-mayim-bialik-1235359858/

Edited by hmaxhanson
  • Like 1

Maybe "The Best of Alex Trebek"? One source, I think CBS, says the writers' strike could go on until the end of summer.

The Tony Awards will not be televised. https://deadline.com/2023/05/tony-awards-wga-strike-emergency-meeting-actors-equity-broadway-1235365076/amp/

Also, the Directors Guild is beginning negotiations with the studios...I wonder if they too will strike (which will affect movies)

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/losangeles/news/dga-negotiations-set-to-begin-as-wga-strike-enters-day-9/

I'm thinking we could have a Strike Trifecta of Screen Actors Guild (Actors) as their contract expires June 30th, DGA (Directors) and WGA (Writers) all on strike this summer. Media isn’t moving much this summer because if those three go on strike might as well turn off the lights then.

• Like 1

If COVID didn't mess up the movie industry (and theatres), could this be the nail in the coffin? Talk about turning the lights off on the popcorn, projectors, all the jobs affected from key grips at the studios to the ushers at your local AMC or Regal cinema.

I think the lights will not turn off on popcorn, projectors or all the jobs affected from key grips at the studios to the ushers, their jobs will be saved in a plan to end the WGA strike for good.

On 5/15/2023 at 11:19 AM, ColumbusNewsFan said:

I'm thinking we could have a Strike Trifecta of Screen Actors Guild (Actors) as their contract expires June 30th, DGA (Directors) and WGA (Writers) all on strike this summer. Media isn’t moving much this summer because if those three go on strike might as well turn off the lights then.

You're wrong.  I say the Screen Actors Guild (Actors) will not have its Strike Trifecta, when they get a new contract deal, when DGA (Directors) get a new contract deal, and the WGA (Writers) strike be over for good, and the Hollywood strike this summer won't be a good idea.

• 1 month later...

No end in sight to the writer's strike, and with SAG about ready to go on strike at the end of the week, movie production has screeched to a pandemic-like halt: https://www.lamag.com/article/film-production-zero-permits-writers-strike-wga/

I suspect it will be the year of streaming second-runs, reality and game shows, sports, and true crime. Basically the year without a TV season.

• 3 weeks later...
  • hmaxhanson changed the title to 2023 Writers & Actors Strike discussion