2023 Writers & Actors Strike discussion

hmaxhanson

Actually, even some reality shows are gonna be hit by SAG-AFTRA striking since some of the hosts & people in them may be in that union. This will probably mean the networks go to Plan C, "movies, news, & sports"

But I gotta give props to the union for standing with their writer colleagues. The response AMPTP gave to the WGA & SAG-AFTRA is absolutely reprehensible. They literally said they're willing to let the writers lose their homes before taking up their deal. They've already shown their cards & this does nothing but increase the amount of support the unions are getting from the public. Besides, doing this will only end up hurting the studios themselves at the end of the day.

I do have a feeling that this could evolve into something much bigger, especially if the Teamsters decide to strike after the end of this month & both the WGA and SAG-AFTRA hold on. Time will only tell.

Edited by ChocoMingo
  • Like 5

• hmaxhanson changed the title to 2023 Writers & Actors Strike discussion

I believe game show hosts, news personalities, and sports anchors can continue to work. That's a different contract that is good through 2024. See this link:

https://www.vogue.com/article/sag-aftra-strike-explainer

HOWEVER...would reality shows be considered "game shows" in this case? Terry Crews may elect to walk out with SAG-AFTRA before the live shows air.

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, VHSgoodiesWA said:

I believe game show hosts, news personalities, and sports anchors can continue to work. That's a different contract that is good through 2024. See this link:

HOWEVER...would reality shows be considered "game shows" in this case? Terry Crews may elect to walk out with SAG-AFTRA before the live shows air.

Only problem to the game show hosts thing is that now much of the new crop of hosts are A-list actors likely with SAG-AFTRA. Would that result in several shows being shelved?

On 7/15/2023 at 4:46 PM, VHSgoodiesWA said:

Some news station workers, especially news production staff, are part of SAG-AFTRA and will be walking out. Voice Actors are striking too. I have family striking as both members of WGA and SAG-AFTRA.

Most game shows are union as well. I think things like Survivor and unscripted reality programming are the only shows that really aren't, but it depends on the production houses.

Edited by ABC 7 Denver
  • Sad 1

That's interesting. My guess is some networks may have to look for non-unionized scabs for some of the behind-the-scenes positions. I guess we will see come fall which syndicated daytime shows stay in reruns, and which don't...

EDIT - Saw on the Game Show Forum that Jay Leno is keeping You Bet Your Life on hold, and of course, Mayim Bialik walked out too.

Edited by VHSgoodiesWA
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, tyrannical bastard said:

It wouldn't surprise me to see a primetime newscast or magazine extension (cough cough dateline, 2020, 48 hours mystery) fill some holes in the schedule as well.

Don't Dateline and 20/20 already have two-hour broadcasts?!

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

Don't Dateline and 20/20 already have two-hour broadcasts?!

Yes they do! But NBC has so many episodes of Dateline in the can that you could probably run them all every night at 8/7c and it would be a couple of years before the first repeat (not counting the old format with Jane Pauley and Stone Phillips before it went all true-crime).

• Like 2

On 7/17/2023 at 11:49 PM, VHSgoodiesWA said:

Yes they do! But NBC has so many episodes of Dateline in the can that you could probably run them all every night at 8/7c and it would be a couple of years before the first repeat (not counting the old format with Jane Pauley and Stone Phillips before it went all true-crime).

Heck, there's an entirely FAST channel devoted to Dateline, plus NBC News Now also runs it to fill holes in its schedule.

On 7/17/2023 at 5:33 PM, tyrannical bastard said:

It wouldn't surprise me to see a primetime newscast or magazine extension (cough cough dateline, 2020, 48 hours mystery) fill some holes in the schedule as well.

Rock Center with Brian Williams Lester Holt!

• Haha 2
  • Thought-Provoking 1

On 7/17/2023 at 11:49 PM, VHSgoodiesWA said:

I think the same could be said of 20/20 on ABC.

• 2 months later...
12 hours ago, Georgie56 said:

The writers strike will end this weekend.

While this is good, it doesn't really mean anything in terms of fall shows coming back anytime soon because of the SAG-AFTRA strike still going on. The late night shows will probably come back soon though. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Abraham J. Simpson said:

Even if SAG wasn’t on strike right now, a good number of scripted shows wouldn’t be anywhere near returning until scripts begin to get hashed out for the season, whatever shape that season ultimately takes. 

It would at least allow writers to write scripts for shows, and hopefully a framework for a deal with SAG-AFTRA.  Assuming a deal is reached tonight.  They won't negotiate tomorrow due to the holiday.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NowBergen said:

It would at least allow writers to write scripts for shows, and hopefully a framework for a deal with SAG-AFTRA.  Assuming a deal is reached tonight.  They won't negotiate tomorrow due to the holiday.

Hate to say it, but neither National Comic Book Day nor International Research Administrator Day are that big.

• Angry 1