Fox and Dominion reaches settlement

CircleWXYZ

Very disappointed by this. I was looking forward to Fox being further exposed, but I guess money talks. Fox has gotten away with many large settlements over the years to sweep bad behavior under the rug but $767,500,000 is definitely a lot. They probably learned their lesson: Don't smear companies, but lying about people is still good for ratings and the bottom line.

Remember when Rupert's News of the World was caught hacking into a murdered girl's voicemail and they closed shop a few days later? I was hoping for that kind of solution here.

Fox is not news, but their viewers think it is.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, TheRob said:

Your cable bill is about to increase again. Good for Dominion, though.

Fox doesn’t have any leverage and rest assured, both cable and satellite companies, if they’re smart, will use this settlement against them. 

With a possible Smartmatic settlement looming too; Fox could easily be out of close to 2 bil. (if not more). 

I’m sure Fox ran every scenario possible from a financial perspective before settling; so expect some serious belt tightening and cuts to happen.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, TheRob said:

I'm not so sure of that. Fox has more than $4 billion in cash on hand, which is plenty to cover the settlement. In perspective, $787 million amounts to about two weeks' worth of revenue for the entire company.

What I imagine probably will happen, though, is that you'll probably see Fox be less willing to make new investments in its operations and some overall belt-tightening in the medium term.

• Sad 1

22 hours ago, TheRob said:

According to Brian Stelter in Variety:

Fox News executives insist that sponsors have not been spooked by the Big Lie scandal, nor have the cable and satellite providers that carry the network. In the negotiations that are taking place this spring between Fox and the likes of Comcast, Fox wants to break past the three-buck mark—meaning three dollars per cable household per month, according to sources familiar with the matter.

Pretty gross, really. If you have cable or any kind of live TV service, you're going to be paying Fox more to lie to you, even if you never turn on their channel. And your increased payments will help them continue to poison the information well for America.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 6

30 minutes ago, MD TV said:

Yeah, we hear all about the sports-related carriage fees but this is probably the highest carriage fee for a channel that doesn't carry any sports.

Anyone else have a sudden desire to see Tucker Carlson tackled by a football player running at full speed? Just me? 😏

• Haha 3

I thought that there was going to be a settlement Fox can write off some of the settlement as well, it was really how much Fox was willing to fight they thought better to settle than fight it which was much cheaper to settle than fight it. I still believe that Fox didn't defame Dominion or Smartics either which looks like that doesn't go to the courts until 2025 which Fox settles as well in my opinion.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1