All About Allen...

tyrannical bastard

Didn't see a thread for Allen Media group, so here we go!

And to start things off, Bob Prather (who left Gray to start Heartland Media) and Andy Fisher, are both leaving AMG.

https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2023/4/17/breaking-shake-up-at-the-top-of-one-media-group-to-be-announced-today

Could any of this be related to Allen's involvement in the Diamond Sports dumpster fire?

Edited by tyrannical bastard
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Didn't see a thread for Allen Media group, so here we go!

And to start things off, Bob Prather (who left Gray to start Heartland Media) and Andy Fisher, are both leaving AMG.

https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2023/4/17/breaking-shake-up-at-the-top-of-one-media-group-to-be-announced-today

Could any of this be related to Allen's involvement in the Diamond Sports dumpster fire?

And Princell Hair has been named President of Allen Media...

https://tvnewscheck.com/business/article/princell-hair-named-president-of-allen-media-broadcasting/

On 4/17/2023 at 9:26 AM, tyrannical bastard said:

Maybe they were just there for the excitement of building a media empire. Working for a company that has a bunch of low end TV stations can't be that exciting compared to building a multi-channel behemoth.

• Like 1

On 4/18/2023 at 1:35 PM, tyrannical bastard said:

I have to wonder, could Bob Prather be heading back to Gray, especially with Bob Smith's impending retirement.....

Bob Prather has been nominally running the zombified two station remains of Heartland Media while running Allen. I'd have to think that if he comes back or not that Gray would take KQTV and WKTV off his hands as both stations fit Gray like a glove. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DirtyHarry said:

He doesn't have the money. He didn't even make an offer then.

He made offers of $20-$23/share before Standard General outbid him. Now that the stock price has since tanked, maybe he can "afford" it now. 

• Thought-Provoking 3

8 hours ago, PTVNews said:

He made offers of $20-$23/share before Standard General outbid him. Now that the stock price has since tanked, maybe he can "afford" it now. 

I read somewhere that he never made an official offer. That was all just talk.

Edited by DirtyHarry

7 hours ago, PTVNews said:

P.S. Do you consider Allen Media a top rate broadcaster? LOL Tegna is light years ahead in respectability. Allen is right there at the bottom of the garbage pail with Nexstar, Scripps and Gray.

• Like 1
  • Concerned 1

On 4/24/2023 at 11:28 AM, DirtyHarry said:

P.S. Do you consider Allen Media a top rate broadcaster? LOL Tegna is light years ahead in respectability. Allen is right there at the bottom of the garbage pail with Nexstar, Scripps and Gray.

Allen Media has a long way to go to decent respectability.   Owning the Weather Channel is a good start, but the bottom line is Allen Media (and Entertainment Studios) are the slumlords of daytime TV with all of their cheap "court" shows.

• Like 11

• 1 month later...
On 4/28/2023 at 2:59 PM, tyrannical bastard said:

Allen Media has a long way to go to decent respectability.   Owning the Weather Channel is a good start, but the bottom line is Allen Media (and Entertainment Studios) are the slumlords of daytime TV with all of their cheap "court" shows.

When I think Byron Allen, I think of his Entertainment Studios show from years ago that would be on before the morning news.  And those shows were meh at best.. So to consider him a top rate broadcaster would take some time...

• Like 8

On 5/30/2023 at 6:46 AM, MichiganNewsGraphicsJunkie said:

When I think Byron Allen, I think of his Entertainment Studios show from years ago that would be on before the morning news.  And those shows were meh at best.. So to consider him a top rate broadcaster would take some time...

I'll admit I was surprised Wood TV aired ES.TV seems it's repeats than new content even when the guide says it's new yeah, it isn't a good show Byron would be smart to put music videos for 30 minutes than ES.TV in my opinion.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Breaking News said:

I just don't see good things happening... I wonder if WZZM cna stay in 2nd place with him...

• Like 1

On 6/7/2023 at 1:47 AM, Breaking News said:

Was WWMT beating WZZM under the current ownership?

IF they were, they won't be for much longer... WWMT is now down to 8 people I think? Christina Anthony left in November and they most likely won't replace her... Chief Keith Thompson is all over the place filling in... They have 2-3 reporters and focus way too much on Kalamazoo/Battle Creek for any GR viewers to care... 

My dream wish would be for Hearst to pick up WZZM somehow...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, MichiganNewsGraphicsJunkie said:

IF they were, they won't be for much longer... WWMT is now down to 8 people I think? Christina Anthony left in November and they most likely won't replace her... Chief Keith Thompson is all over the place filling in... They have 2-3 reporters and focus way too much on Kalamazoo/Battle Creek for any GR viewers to care... 

My dream wish would be for Hearst to pick up WZZM somehow...

I would love for Hearst to pick several stations as well...

• Like 3

I know that Wood TV is number 1 by a mile it isn't close I thought that WWMT was number 2 as there promos say there the number 1 station from sign on to sign off largely because of syndication, & WZZM number 3 just because of it being a legacy station only. I was surprised that Hearst sold WZZM in the 90s to what is now TEGNA yeah, would like to Hearst to buy WZZM again.     

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Megatron81 said:

I know that Wood TV is number 1 by a mile it isn't close I thought that WWMT was number 2 as there promos say there the number 1 station from sign on to sign off largely because of syndication, & WZZM number 3 just because of it being a legacy station only. I was surprised that Hearst sold WZZM in the 90s to what is now TEGNA yeah, would like to Hearst to buy WZZM again.     

I knew WOOD was always running away with #1 and thought ZZM was #2 and WWMT was in third. Somewhere I read that, but then found out WWMT does well in Battle Creek side while ZZM does well in Grand Rapids.  It seems when it was last few years under Gannett the money stop flowing.  If you weren't KSDK, KARE, KUSA, WUSA those were the money maker stations. Then when it became TEGNA- well it became another mediocre media company.

• Like 4