WRC is getting a new set.

Muppetman03

Oh good, now a certain user here can stop posting thrice-weekly threads asking if a new set is coming soon. Those will be replaced with thrice-weekly requests for progress updates.

Edited by 24994J
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

That was an interesting one where they shoehorned to something more traditional a few years after launch. Guess the audience / focus groups thought it was too sterile

Those vertical panels, the wood and broad landscape shots were a nice distinctive look for the market, curious to see if any of those cues stay 

Watched a bit this morning… sounds like the set isn’t really finished yet as they kept teasing showing it off “over the next few weeks” and didn’t show anything beyond that very flat 2-shot. 

In the 6a hour they went back to using a live tower cam in the background and it looked pretty bad. 

• Sad 1

After watching the tour, I like the set except 2 things:

1. The monitor behind the desk should have taken up the whole wall instead of being surrounded by the lighting.

2. The desk... Why is there just a small TV on the front instead of a larger display? Hopefully it's just temporary like when KNSD got their new desk.

Very interesting. They took Studio A, which was an enormous studio, and divided it up into three smaller studios. WRC is in one. WZDC (Telemundo) is in another. And the use for the third studio, which looks like it might be smaller than the other two, has yet to be announced. Jummy Olabanji called it a "secret studio that we can't show you yet."

WRC now has a rare luxury of space. In addition to the large column-free space that used to be the network newsroom, there's the studio WRC just vacated and there is the old MSNBC studio upstairs. I don't know that I would count the old Telemundo 44 studio as extra space because that was shoehorned into the building. 

At first look, I was a bit underwhelmed. But I realized there's a lot of grayish white "blocks" that make up the walls. Obviously, this is a nod to classic DC architecture.  Once I realized that detail, I kind of liked it. Even though the effect does leave it looking a bit cold and sparce. There's a really cool DC map but its location in a corner by the door makes it seem like it might not make it on camera all that much. They are still in construction mode - they haven't fully loaded in the weather center yet. So, it will be another couple of weeks before the space is fully utilized. 

I do wonder if this is a preview of how WNBC will utilize the split Studio 3B. WRC's layout really does a great job of maximizing space and that will be essential in 3B.

wrc-new-set.jpg

Edited by carolinanews4
typo
  • Like 4

Yeah the tight 2 shot looks like a college newscast, the metal accents behind the monitor make it look like a rolling monitor stand in a conference room and the graphic on the screen lacks depth - it all looks too close to the anchors like they're pressed against a wall. Maybe a better landscape shot will help that aspect, and they can rework the monitor accents. 

The DC stone is a nice nod, though white is tough for TV, and to be honest the layout of the studio and materials feel more like the lobby of a class A office building or museum than a The Other Site. 

Weather nooks look visually interesting with nice depth, we'll see how that plays out. 

Surprised they didn't keep this studio larger and put Telemundo in the former News 4 studio, but guess they have other uses in mind.

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, MorningNews said:

Obviously there are reasons for it but seems amateurish to move into a space that’s not ready for primetime yet. The shots this morning were so awkward.

Are you new to local news management in 2022? Amateurish is the standard quo now.

• Like 2