CBS cancels 'The Late Late Show'

BluesNews

https://whnt.com/news/national/the-late-late-show-canceled-after-almost-30-years-on-cbs/

The show will end when James Corden leaves, there will be no replacement host.

If you think CBS is going to return that time to the affiliates though, think again:

The network does however have something else in the works, rebooting the Comedy Central series “@Midnight” to offer as a replacement for fans of the current late-night show.

That series, featuring Chris Hardwick, ran 600 episodes from 2013 to 2017, though it’s unclear if he will make a return. Stephen Colbert, meanwhile, is expected to serve as executive producer on the reboot.

• Sad 2
  • Thought-Provoking 1

13 hours ago, Yankees4life said:

Well...the only thing they didn't replace it with was a comedy show 🤣😂

I think they should just air CLASSIC Bob Barker TPIR eps in it's place.  Yeah, I know Pluto has it whenever, but I think it would be neat to see this on live national OTA television again.

-- Matt

• Like 1

I really like Corden's show. His incarnation of the late late show really mastered the technique of celebrity group conversations, games, and viral videos. If it show were at 11:35, he'd have been formidable competition against Fallon and Kimmel. 

Edited by iron_lion
  • Like 1

The problem with late-night talk shows is that they have all been largely using the same exact formula for decades, a formula that Johnny Carson largely set in motion:

• A live announcer to introduce the program, announce the guests and cue the host to enter.
  • A live in-studio audience.
  • An in-house band.
  • A desk for the host with adjacent couches or chairs for the guests. Maybe it includes an old-timey microphone!
  • A monologue by the host, varying in length depending on the host.
  • A second segment (either after the monologue or the first commercial break) with an extended series of comedy bits. Could be live in-studio or via tape.
  • The guests come out one-by-one for extended interviews and (depending on the host) softball questions.
  • A stand-up act or musical number by a guest band or singer to conclude the program.

Even as James Corden used Graham Norton's setup of having the guests come on all at once, he still used a house band and had a monologue. CraigyFerg didn't have a house band--or much of anything--but he still did a monologue (many of which were deeply compelling and riveting), interviewed guests and had a robot as his announcer. While Stephen Colbert, Jimmy Kimmel and (especially) Seth Myers are exceptionally political, they all follow the formulas to some degree. But at least you can tell one Jimmy apart from the other Jimmy.

Edited by Myron Falwell
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, TexasTVNews said:

One reason I stayed up and watched The Late Late Show is not because of Corden and Furgeson, but because of one host I admired for a long time. And his name was the late, great Tom Snyder.

...and may I add, sorely missed.  His laughs with his stage manager alone were worth the price of admission.

• Like 5

The original LLS was awesome, yes. Extended interviews with celebrities that you wouldn't dream of finding anywhere else. At least @midnight will be something new for the Eye network to air at 12:30 in the morning.

Hopefully it stays as a funny game/panel show and doesn't turn into another political monologue/celebrity interview/a little bit of a game/another celebrity interview like the rest of the shows.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, east-tx-tv said:

...and may I add, sorely missed.  His laughs with his stage manager alone were worth the price of admission.

TS always cracks me up, even when you look up his name on YT, you'll find vintage episodes of The Tomorrow Show (NBC), and The Late Late Show w/ Tom Snyder as well as audio of Tom Snyder Radio Show (ABC Radio).

Late night talk is just not the same without Tom Snyder. Settle back, fire up the colortini, and watch the pictures... and the angels in heaven as they fly through the air. RIP Tom Snyder, and Godspeed.

• Like 4

On 2/9/2023 at 4:04 PM, Myron Falwell said:

The problem with late-night talk shows is that they have all been largely using the same exact formula for decades, a formula that Johnny Carson largely set in motion:

• A live announcer to introduce the program, announce the guests and cue the host to enter.
  • A live in-studio audience.
  • An in-house band.
  • A desk for the host with adjacent couches or chairs for the guests. Maybe it includes an old-timey microphone!
  • A monologue by the host, varying in length depending on the host.
  • A second segment (either after the monologue or the first commercial break) with an extended series of comedy bits. Could be live in-studio or via tape.
  • The guests come out one-by-one for extended interviews and (depending on the host) softball questions.
  • A stand-up act or musical number by a guest band or singer to conclude the program.

Even as James Corden used Graham Norton's setup of having the guests come on all at once, he still used a house band and had a monologue. CraigyFerg didn't have a house band--or much of anything--but he still did a monologue (many of which were deeply compelling and riveting), interviewed guests and had a robot as his announcer. While Stephen Colbert, Jimmy Kimmel and (especially) Seth Myers are exceptionally political, they all follow the formulas to some degree. But at least you can tell one Jimmy apart from the other Jimmy.

Variety and diversity would be good, but at least on the broadcast level most of the late night shows copying the same format have been pretty decent. Cable is a different story. 

I like Corden and Fallon the most because their shows are the least political. IMO the best parts of Jimmy Kimmel Live are when he isn't obsessing over Trump related subjects --which is EVERY night. Segments like Lie-witness news, unnecessary censorship and Baby Bachelor are hilarious. 

Edited by MediaZone4K

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

It was good ending to a great show. I wish it were mentioned more that the franchise and not just Corden's incranation is ending. Would be cool if Craig Killborn and Craig Ferguson made an appearence. I also wish there was some mention of Tom Snyder. Dare I say this was the best late night show of the current crop, and it may have been even bigger at 11:35pm. 

Edited by MediaZone4K
  • Like 3

On 3/5/2023 at 10:51 AM, tylerSC said:

I miss Jay Leno. Have never really adapted to Jimmy Fallon. I miss Jay's monologue, headlines, and Jaywalking. Now I tend to prefer Jimmy Kimmel.

I gave up on all of them after everyone monologues became nothing but political commentaries; but after his part in screwing over Conan (and the shady way he got Tonight in the first place) forget Leno.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, GodfreyGR said:

I gave up on all of them after everyone monologues became nothing but political commentaries; but after his part in screwing over Conan (and the shady way he got Tonight in the first place) forget Leno.

That's why I can't get into Seth Myers, don't really watch Colbert except for some interviews, and pretty much skip Kimmel's monolouge. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GodfreyGR said:

I gave up on all of them after everyone monologues became nothing but political commentaries

It's just the nature of the way everything began changing in 2015. Politics became so absurd and dominated discussions of everyday people. It would have been impossible for comedians to avoid it. Plus, comedy and satire are often the best ways to expose hypocrisy, and there has been a dramatic increase of that in American life. Ignoring politics when doing a daily monologue would seem pretty out-of-touch with reality.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Geoffrey said:

It's just the nature of the way everything began changing in 2015. Politics became so absurd and dominated discussions of everyday people. It would have been impossible for comedians to avoid it. Plus, comedy and satire are often the best ways to expose hypocrisy, and there has been a dramatic increase of that in American life. Ignoring politics when doing a daily monologue would seem pretty out-of-touch with reality.

If I'm not mistaken, didn't Fallon's ratings fall after he interviewed Trump, hair rub and all?

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, Geoffrey said:

They don't have to ignore politics or Trump, BUT Kimmel --and Colbert--making Trump the focus of 85% their monolouge every night for the last 8 years even after the Donald left office is excessive and obsessive. There has to be a source of material other than one man on planet earth. Plus there are several world leaders and organizations doing harm in addition to Trump, that don't get as much coverage/ridicule.

8 hours ago, MD TV said:

If I'm not mistaken, didn't Fallon's ratings fall after he interviewed Trump, hair rub and all?

And that's what sucks. Broken record but I like Fallon because he makes a few Trump or political jokes then moves on. It's not the main focus of his show. As for his chummyness toward Trump that's a whole different discussion but I don't think Fallon derserved backlash over it. Everyone has their own style of show and comedy but every show making fun of the same thing and having the same stances on the same issues becomes redundant.

Edited by MediaZone4K
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, MediaZone4K said:

They don't have to ignore politics or Trump, BUT Kimmel --and Colbert--making Trump the focus of 85% their monolouge every night for the last 8 years even after the Donald left office is excessive and obsessive. There has to be a source of material other than one man on planet earth. Plus there are several world leaders and organizations doing harm in addition to Trump, that don't get as much coverage/ridicule.

7 hours ago, MD TV said:

I always felt like all the late night talk shows tried to mimic  "Weekend Update" or "The Daily Show" during the Trump-era. They still do to an extent. It's kind of why I appreciate hosts like Corden or Fallon who didn't try to be like that. 

• Like 4

On 2/9/2023 at 10:15 AM, MediaZone4K said:

I really like Corden's show. His incarnation of the late late show really mastered the technique of celebrity group conversations, games, and viral videos. If it show were at 11:35, he'd have been formidable competition against Fallon and Kimmel. 

Stephen Colbert is boring and the Trump jokes are old . I think Corden should have hosted the Late Show

• Like 3

6 hours ago, TVJayFOX said:

Stephen Colbert is boring and the Trump jokes are old . I think Corden should have hosted the Late Show

Corden aside, didn't Ferguson have a clause in his contract to be first in line to replace Letterman? I think the payout was upwards of $10 Million when CBS went with Colbert.

15 hours ago, MediaZone4K said:

Name one...the UK's reigning monarch or prime minister? The present dictator of North Korea? The present dictators...er, democratically-elected presidents of Russia and China? The president of Ukraine, who is an international hero?

American media, in its very parochial worldview, doesn't spend a great deal of time covering other individuals and entities outside of those whom I mentioned above. Maybe the PM of Canada gets coverage every now and then, the president of Mexico even less. The former president of Brasil, who styled himself after the Great Orange Stain, was lucky to get any airtime up here.

I also doubt that most of the target demo for any of the late night shows get their news from non-U.S. sources like CBC, BBC, Deutsche Welle, Al Jazeera or Reuters, or even the extreme left-wing Democracy Now! So, Orange Man it is until he goes away completely.

(But the public disappearance of Melania, former First Lady of the Night, should be mined to the fullest.)

Edited by Big Rollo Smokes
  • Like 2
  • Concerned 1