Adios "FOX News in the Morning!"

first on fox

Starting September 4, WFLD-FOX/Chicago will change the name of its morning news program from FOX News in the Morning to Good Day Chicago.

(via Cynopsis)

More: http://www.suntimes.com/business/feder/534371,CST-FIN-feder30.article

The Fox-fanboy's checklist to being a good Fox O&O:

? Reimage with the Fox O&O corporate look.

? HD -- you've got. to. be. in. HD.

? Launch a 11/10C newscast to compete with the big boys.

? Call your morning program "Good Day [DMA]."

__ Brand as "FOX [Channel #]"

We're almost to perfection, y'all!

Aside: They should have dropped the "Fox Thing/News in the Morning" style branding when Sirott left.

Don't count on them ever rebranding to "FOX 32". It won't happen. And those of you constantly bothering the station to do that really need to stop.

Whether it's the name "FOX News In The Morning" or "Good Day Chicago", the morning news hasn't been the same without David, Tamron, and Bruce..

Don't count on them ever rebranding to "FOX 32". It won't happen. And those of you constantly bothering the station to do that really need to stop.

Whether it's the name "FOX News In The Morning" or "Good Day Chicago", the morning news hasn't been the same without David, Tamron, and Bruce..

Lazynetjunkie is right. If you one of the millions of Chicagoans that have cable in the Chicagoland area, then you're obviously know why the station cannot brand themselves back to "FOX 32". While almost all of city of Chicago is on Cable Channel 12, some of the outlying surburbs are on Channel 3 or 6. Even though I still call it "FOX 32" because of the classic branding or sometimes Channel 32, that doesn't mean the station will go back to the original branding.

And it would be verbally impossible to have all of the reporters and anchors to say "FOX Thirty-Two News" instead of the "FOX News Chicago". Talk about a tounge twister. And as long as I remember WFLD never had the "FOX 32 News" Branding and I hope in god that they would never dump their longtime branding or "FOX News Chicago" (except for infamous "FOX Chicago News" branding which lasted for some weeks before the O&O Treatment debut).

Since I've witness newer people on FOX 32 now, I can care less what the hell they call their morning newscast now. They Should've call it Good Day Chicago the day after Tamron moved to MSNBC.

When news debuted on WFLD back in 1987, their branding was indeed "Fox 32 News". And I hardly think that's a tongue-twister.

But Fox 32, Fox Chicago, Fox News in the Morning, or Good Day, we're the only ones who care about that. The problem is they used to have one hell of a morning team going for them and now it's a mess.

I like the current morning team and the idea of bringing back "Good Day Chicago". Jan is a step-up from Tamron (who is fitting in very well at MSNBC) and Tammie is better than Michelle. Mike is no better than David really. Neither are good at reading the teleprompter and often stumble over words. Mike is better at reading/doing sports than news and has lackluster interviewing skills.

During the Bob Sirott era, the show was centered around him and what he liked or/and disliked which only appealed to a small group of people. I think Bruce Wolf wanted to leave (he didn't seem happy during his last couple of months at WFLD) and is somewhat over-rated.

Over the past several months, they have added "WGN Morning News-like" elements to the show (particularly between 6 am and 9 am) and have included Patrick and Nancy more during that time as well. Since most of the team is relatively new, it's going to take time for them to really mesh together, but they're well on their way to doing that.

Lazynetjunkie is right. If you one of the millions of Chicagoans that have cable in the Chicagoland area, then you're obviously know why the station cannot brand themselves back to "FOX 32". While almost all of city of Chicago is on Cable Channel 12, some of the outlying surburbs are on Channel 3 or 6. Even though I still call it "FOX 32" because of the classic branding or sometimes Channel 32, that doesn't mean the station will go back to the original branding.

And it would be verbally impossible to have all of the reporters and anchors to say "FOX Thirty-Two News" instead of the "FOX News Chicago". Talk about a tounge twister. And as long as I remember WFLD never had the "FOX 32 News" Branding and I hope in god that they would never dump their longtime branding or "FOX News Chicago" (except for infamous "FOX Chicago News" branding which lasted for some weeks before the O&O Treatment debut).

Fox 29 in Philadelphia is mostly on cable 11 or 13 in market.

Should I put in a call to tell them to go back to the "Fox Philadelphia" branding to save confusion?

Also, are you seriously suggesting that the anchors and reporters at Fox Chicago have some sort of rare speech impediment that prevents them from saying any number over thirty-one?

"Verbally impossible," though? Seriously?

The branding of "FOX News Chicago" for the newscasts and "FOX Chicago" for the station itself has been with WFLD for over half the life of the station and people associate that branding with the station so it's going to stay. It would have been different if the station kept the "FOX 32" and "FOX 32 News" branding for much of its life but they didn't. Back in 1992, when cable TV was the hot thing around the Chicagoland area and WFLD was (and still is) on channels 12, 13, or 3 in most area systems, management decided to drop "32" and go with "Chicago". It was also during a time when station management was aiming the newscast at a younger, hipper crowd and thought the station # branding was too old school. That was also the time when WFLD started to really attract viewers so "FOX Chicago" and "FOX News Chicago" is what people in Chicago associate the station with.

The real tounge twister came almost a couple years ago when they rebranded the newscast from "FOX News Chicago" to "FOX Chicago News" for a couple months. It drove anchors and reporters up the wall. They were so used to saying "FOX News Chicago" and saying "FOX Chicago News" just didn't sound right. Heck, even viewers thought it didn't sound right and the station got viewer feedback about it. The name change only lasted a couple months.

Also, the name "FOX News Chicago" is only used when reporters are signing out or when anchors/reporters refer to all the newscasts on the station itself. The actual titles of the newscasts used in promos and opens is just "FOX News at Noon", "FOX News at 9", "FOX News in the Morning", etc. The word "Chicago" isn't used.

I know the branding "FOX News Chicago" doesn't sound right to people from out of market but that's just what we're used to hearing around here.

I think the overall point of the number value in the title does seem kind of old fashioned from the perspective of one of the younger viewers around here, though it works for some stations. Looking at it though, Fox News Chicago just seems to roll off the tongue better than Fox Chicago News or Fox 32 News, and should stay. Anyway, using the two digit number seems to make it sound even older for that matter, like something you'd hear in my market, #126.

• 1 month later...

Archived