WCIV is getting a new set

Ryan729

Wciv an abc affiliate in Charleston, South Carolina is finally getting a new set. It’s been reported last night (February 4th) was their last night on their current set and is now completely torn down while they move to a temporary set while the new one is being complete. Wciv has been in a major need for a new set as they have been using their current one for many years.https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=602366975037233&id=100057918075643&set=a.147481350525800&eav=AfaTR_0DLyLbFk_UxpixBQO8ejiH74DHO47U9sUbtrA8GsTydHxUmn20va9ZUCfL-dw&paipv=0&source=48

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ryan729 said:

Wciv an abc affiliate in Charleston, South Carolina is finally getting a new set. It’s been reported last night (February 4th) was their last night on their current set and is now completely torn down while they move to a temporary set while the new one is being complete. Wciv has been in a major need for a new set as they have been using their current one for many years.https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=602366975037233&id=100057918075643&set=a.147481350525800&eav=AfaTR_0DLyLbFk_UxpixBQO8ejiH74DHO47U9sUbtrA8GsTydHxUmn20va9ZUCfL-dw&paipv=0&source=48

All I can say is, it’s about damn time.

• Like 4

• CircleSeven changed the title to WCIV is getting a new set

WCIV? Wow! This is long overdue! This would make all 3 stations in Charleston receiving a new set in under a year (WCBD (Nexstar), WCSC (Gray) and now WCIV (Sinclair). 

I'm pretty sure WCIV's set (which has had very small modifications over the years) originally went live in the early-mid 2000's (not exactly sure of the date).  

On 2/5/2023 at 5:06 PM, mrschimpf said:

All this work for a subchannel on an MNTV station. 😉 

(because their DT2 is ABC due to the usual Sinclair regulatory hijinks and the actual channel 4 being a sidecar lighthouse)

But it is about time.

The station they are on has a better signal. WCIV has about half the power if memory serves, plus they get to keep the duopoly.

The FCC should just be lenient about trading virtual channel numbers. As long as no conflicts are created, I don't see what the big deal is. Much less confusing for the viewer.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

The current overhaul and making of the new wciv news set is underway. Have already seen a promo from it but no sneak peaks of the new set just yet. However I have heard the new set is coming sometime in April! Hopefully we will see some video walls and some more reporting angles in the new set because their old one they have been very limited on where they could do stand ups from. 

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid0qpmCdqGnYdJd3dvRX4ZV9mpH3TJfdp5uHs4kLBBcrCkcfmVfPNKcgWeSi7wWCvfl&id=148070675248324&mibextid=Nif5oz

• 1 month later...

WCIV has launched their new set...not 100% sure how I feel about it....Its a remarkable improvement over their existing early 2000 set

https://abcnews4.com/news/local/check-it-out-news-4-unveils-new-state-of-the-art-news-and-lifestyle-set-wednesday-april-26-2023-mt-pleasant-broadcast-station

Edited by Axiom81
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, MichiganNewsGraphicsJunkie said:

Overall a big improvement.. but the anchor desk is a bit... wonky??

Yeah I think its that and how the weather center seems a bit close. The Lowcountry Live portion of the set is so much cleaner...but I'll give them this, its different than WCSC and WCBD which is good. I think WCSC wins the set look for Charleston though. 

• Like 1

Overall a underwhelming and interesting mix of textures, but it looks nice and clean. The desk is a bit wonky, if they used better insert graphics on the front (better logo placement, movement and added info like the date or something) it would look really good. 
Desk in question so you don’t have open the link:

863B0FB5-0AA8-4472-8FE9-23ED3B477FCE.thumb.jpeg.c7fafcd9e9564b2ed915caec28e69e89.jpeg

Definitely better than what they had before. I do appreciate when bits of local flavor are added to a set. And by that, I mean something local you recognize at quick glance. Not the "we put stone on this wall because our community has stones." To me, these local touches give a hint of personality that help prevent a set from being so sterile. In WCIV's case, I appreciate the Cooper River Bridge and Rainbow Row being included in the Low Country Live area. I wish they had done something similar on the duratrans behind the desk. But this is certainly a nice upgrade for the ABC4 team.

• Like 5