FOX Sports debuting new football graphics

CTrey98

Yesterday with FOX's broadcast of the NFC Championship, they showed a new matchup graphic at the start of their broadcast. The rest of the broadcast pretty much used the same graphics package they have been using since 2020. Is this possibly a teaser to a new graphics package debuting at Super Bowl LVII? This new matchup design looks a little out of brand to their current package. The logos are very shiny and if you look closely, there is diagonal lines showing in the background of the team logos. Normally, I wouldn't think this would be a teaser. But after looking back at their past opening matchup graphics, they look completely different. So this definitely confirms the graphic used here is brand new.

image.thumb.png.80c20735c2db212766407de12087cfa7.png

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, 24994J said:

I'd be surprised if they debuted anything more than some refreshed elements like this. I'll bet the scoreboard, lower thirds, and most standard insert graphics remain the same.

Yeh, the current graphics package has aged pretty well. I wouldn't mind if they just go with a refreshed look. Similar to what CBS did for Super Bowl LIII. However, here is a few reasons why I think they they would do a full rebrand... or at least a big noticeable refresh.

1. Their graphics font ties into the old Thursday Night Football logo. Now that FOX no longer has TNF, I would think they would want to launch a new brand identity away from their old primetime package. 

2. Their College Football broadcasts this past season still used the same graphic package for the 6th straight season. This is probably because they are waiting to do a full rebrand for all their football broadcasts with Super Bowl LVII as the launching point. 

3. If you pay attention to other FOX Sports broadcasts, you can see their lower thirds are starting to go full screen again instead of floating. The NFL broadcasts are the only graphics left that still use floating lower thirds. It's possible they are just keeping that same look for the NFL and waiting to make that big change when they broadcast the Super Bowl. As you can see here...

830811572_ScreenShot2023-01-30at12_54_44AM.thumb.png.fc88d2774d086c5e7335ff814752d18d.png1202682773_ScreenShot2023-01-30at12_53_58AM.thumb.png.8033c108c352adccb8542f94f4046676.png851425721_ScreenShot2023-01-30at12_52_24AM.thumb.png.c64077fa2cade72bfa85f0b695c4ee6a.png1946051433_ScreenShot2023-01-30at12_11_16AM.thumb.png.d95bb025ea5cf02c2b9d431301946a22.png

Edited by CTrey98
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, CTrey98 said:

Yesterday with FOX's broadcast of the NFC Championship, they showed a new matchup graphic at the start of their broadcast. The rest of the broadcast pretty much used the same graphics package they have been using since 2020. Is this possibly a teaser to a new graphics package debuting at Super Bowl LVII? This new matchup design looks a little out of brand to their current package. The logos are very shiny and if you look closely, there is diagonal lines showing in the background of the team logos. Normally, I wouldn't think this would be a teaser. But after looking back at their past opening matchup graphics, they look completely different. So this definitely confirms the graphic used here is brand new.

image.thumb.png.80c20735c2db212766407de12087cfa7.png

I really thought you guys were talking about association football (FIFA) from the title. But anyways, it’s just the standard over gratuitous 3D that people hate and no one does anything about, but here it looks decidedly…average.

I would also anticipate a change in the logo as well for the NFL and college football, thought that wouldn't be seen until the start of the regular season...ever since the MLB and college hoops in 2021, plus the 2022 introduction of the USFL, those sports all feature logos on white backgrounds.

2130037704_Metsvs.PhilliesGame2Highlights(8_20_22)_MLBHighlights0-54screenshot.png.d177a11885f57c866f9fc92d5a7016ca.png1341328015_VillanovavsXavier_2021_12.21_NCAABGame20-41screenshot.png.c6a28c864106a02619a66fd2c7972a0a.png946194440_USFLChampionship_BirminghamStallionsvs.PhiladelphiaStarsExtendedHighlights_USFL0-24screenshot.png.dfba19679973670b8c8c4a4739b54edd.png

I wouldn't be surprised if we see the same with the NFL and CFB logos once their 2023 seasons start. For the NFL, I recolored it to where they could either maintain the current color scheme, but with a black-on-white Fox logo....OR better yet, recolor to blue and red on white, which brings back the 90s color scheme to apply it on the current logo.

foxnfl_22render.png

foxnfl_22render-alt2.png

Edited by TheFizzle21
  • Like 2

On 1/30/2023 at 2:59 AM, CTrey98 said:

Their College Football broadcasts this past season still used the same graphic package for the 6th straight season. This is probably because they are waiting to do a full rebrand for all their football broadcasts with Super Bowl LVII as the launching point. 

This is totally incorrect. The College Football graphics changed with the NFL in 2020.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Manny NYC said:

This is totally incorrect. The College Football graphics changed with the NFL in 2020.

The insert graphics changed yes, but not the full screen graphics. These are the graphics I'm talking about. This design was introduced in 2017, they slightly changed it in 2020 only to adapt to the new insert graphics that debuted at Super Bowl LIV. But nothing major changed.

Screen Shot 2023-02-02 at 10.55.39 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-02-02 at 10.55.24 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-02-02 at 10.54.57 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-02-02 at 10.54.31 AM.png

Wow, sounds like they want to reinvent the wheel.

Here are some crazy ideas I can think of:

- Doing away with the on-screen scoreboard and instead displaying it virtually on the field, a la the down and distance marker.

- Displaying the away team's score on the far left side of the screen and displaying the home team's score on the far right side of the screen, instead of having it all in one continuous graphic.

- Tons of sound effects, a la early-mid 2000s graphics.

• Sad 1

Good eye I like the dimension and light effects of that matchup graphic from last week

They were smart to ditch the overly flat and somber late 2010s graphics in 2020 - audiences are growing tired of graphics made for a Microsoft Surface on their 4K TVs 

Edited by sfomspphl
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, GodfreyGR said:

What the heck is "divisive" supposed to mean?

If they mean the full-screen bar with wasted space they've forced onto College Hoops/BTN, then yes, this definitely meets that definition; I can't stand that bar at all.

The other thing I'm thinking is AR perspective despite most everyone being done with AR as the only ones who have benefitted are advertisers on the field or on sidelines (this won't happen in the NFL for now due to specific field rules disallowing that).

• Like 3

I guess it has to do with being HDTV, but I never understood why FOX did away with the box and went full-on bar. They invented the box, you’d think they would keep trying to make the box better and less obtrusive than trying to copy every other network with a score bar.

FOX tends to set the trend with graphics, with usually CBS trying to follow suit with their own variation. Whatever comes out of this Super Bowl is going to be either really good for the viewers or really bad.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KentBrockman said:

I guess it has to do with being HDTV, but I never understood why FOX did away with the box and went full-on bar. They invented the box, you’d think they would keep trying to make the box better and less obtrusive than trying to copy every other network with a score bar.

I assume they wanted to keep the box, but research shows older audiences need text in a large form; this is why golf fonts are absurdly large compared to other sports packages. Thus the bar was the compromise to both fit a 4:3 picture and accommodate text easily.

• Like 1

On 2/5/2023 at 12:06 PM, BluesNews said:

FOX tends to set the trend with graphics, with usually CBS trying to follow suit with their own variation. Whatever comes out of this Super Bowl is going to be either really good for the viewers or really bad.

My guess have been that sports graphics are getting bigger, after years of being made smaller, because networks want them (at least the scores) to be more easily seen from across a bar. But watching in my own den, these graphics often look comically large.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Geoffrey said:

My guess have been that sports graphics are getting bigger, after years of being made smaller, because networks want them (at least the scores) to be more easily seen from across a bar. But watching in my own den, these graphics often look comically large.

Also... No need for that pesky ticker anymore. Any other game you care about can be tracked on your favorite sports network's app. It gives developers more space on screen to work with.

• Like 2

Not a shock, FOX Sports is still using their recent football graphics package as part of their Super Bowl week coverage. Looks like they are going to wait til game day to do a full reveal. They did this the last time they broadcasted the Super Bowl in 2020. NBC and CBS have also done the same thing in the past two years prior when it comes to waiting til game day to launch their new graphics.

910238992_ScreenShot2023-02-07at11_45_08AM.thumb.png.21faa69fd2bc067af0102a28a762a5ac.png1865911218_ScreenShot2023-02-07at11_55_09AM.thumb.png.af6bb6924aad05e46202233819879789.png1014984801_ScreenShot2023-02-07at11_58_20AM.thumb.png.e7a54ca6252402e336113803a6860f00.png

• Like 1

Sneak peek at the studio setup location outside. Sounds like they are only doing two studio setups for game day coverage instead of three. This set looks like a downgrade compared to when they broadcasted Super Bowl LIV in 2020. Looks smaller than what they did before. At least the backdrop will look awesome for the camera shots.

GettyImages-1460360503-scaled.thumb.jpeg.b2df6673ffb095786c3802bc2a48ad90.jpeg19938903-scaled-e1675837020715-832x447.jpeg.73d117ec5cca77b1d12ad2aa26352697.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Viper550 said:

Prepare for something obnoxious or disappointing:

On 2/4/2023 at 1:18 PM, MidwestTV said:

If baseball and college basketball are any indication, I'm worried that a new score bug is going to be unnecessarily giant and take up a huge portion of the screen.

What did I say? I hope what Kento Ito says is true and somebody finally told Fox to tone it down.

Taking this with a grain of salt because this image looks off... Why would the down indicator be that small, unless this was captured mid-animation? Where's the timeouts? 

It looks like something you'd see on a kitschy preseason broadcast. In fact, the Steelers pretty much did this exact design earlier not too badly.

Screenshot_20220813-190921_SSTV Smarters Pro v3.jpg

Edited by Viper550
  • Like 1