WWTV/WWUP new graphics

atlnews2

• atlnews2 changed the title to WWTV/WWUP new graphics

First thought- Okay, for the market, these are great morning/midday graphics that play off of what ABC is doing with GMA... Until I looked it up that this is a CBS station. Definitely not saying that all affiliates should use their network's O&O package, but c'mon- don't go for something that looks like your competition's network newscast...

• Like 3
  • Concerned 1

It's a good attempt, but it's lacking in a lot of ways.  The graphics need to be bigger, bolder, and some of the animations need to be a little more pronounced.

A little too minimalist, especially for a market like Northern Michigan.

The old look, while it looked a lot like the CBS Nexstar package without all of the 3D, captured more of a feel of the vast area that the two stations cover.  Even the simple touch of using the county maps in the background highlighted this.  And given the scenery of the area, it's something to be seen, and you would think a local owner like theirs would use it to their advantage instead of trying to create another Tegna clone.

• Like 3

I’m gonna disagree here, I actually like it. Granted, the graphics definitely have that “in house, small market” quality that I can’t quite put a finger on, and there are better ways to do minimalism, but for a station in freakin Northern Michigan, this is great. I’d prefer it if my local station used something like these graphics instead of the Frankenstein’s monster of a package that WISH-TV is using now.

Not everything has to have a bunch of glossy, flying 3D BS distracting you from everything. Those looks are far too common these days (looking at you, Nexstar and Gray). It seems like a lot of designers are stuck in that late 90s to early 2010s period of design, and it’s good to see a station break the mold.

• Like 9
  • Confused 1
  • Concerned 1

6 hours ago, appleachian said:

I like the logo.  It's unique and perfect for an app icon.  And I assume that's what they were going for.

6 hours ago, nycnewsjunkie said:

I’m gonna disagree here, I actually like it. Granted, the graphics definitely have that “in house, small market” quality that I can’t quite put a finger on, and there are better ways to do minimalism, but for a station in freakin Northern Michigan, this is great. I’d prefer it if my local station used something like these graphics instead of the Frankenstein’s monster of a package that WISH-TV is using now.

Not everything has to have a bunch of glossy, flying 3D BS distracting you from everything. Those looks are far too common these days (looking at you, Nexstar and Gray). It seems like a lot of designers are stuck in that late 90s to early 2010s period of design, and it’s good to see a station break the mold.

The graphics aren't top of the shelf but --- considering the market ranking -- it's pretty decent looking by YouTube channel/mobile standards. At least 9&10 went for a good online look rather than a crappy attempt at TV level graphics. This looks neater than alot of super-small market aesthetics I've seen. The logo isn't bad either. It's minimalist but it creatively combines numbers for a multi-frequency tv station. It's more creative than Long Island's WLNY 10/55 fraction bar logo.

Edited by iron_lion
  • Like 4
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, appleachian said:

I like the logo.  It's unique and perfect for an app icon.  And I assume that's what they were going for.

The logo design looks like it drew inspiration from WGN’s 1983-93 logo, the 1997-99 version of WPLG’s “Sunset 10” logo (when it used a minimalist monochrome appearance with no negative spacing), and the current Showtime logo (considering the placement of the “0” in the “10”).

Edited by T.L. Hughes
  • Like 3