CBS News Detroit launches

BluesNews

11 hours ago, CircleWXYZ said:

it was corporate who made thar decision, not the ND or the GM.  They didn’t want CBS programming preempted so it went to 50.  Given 50 is no longer the CW and is now independent, it makes sense.  Remember, 62 is a network O&O so it makes sense.  The others you mentioned are not network O&O stations.  You have to go through a lot of steps to get network programming preempted when you are an O&O.

50 who is also CBS (well owned by CBS) did a great job.

Funny, WBZ doesn't seem to have a problem shoving CBS programming over to WSBK when needed.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mre29 said:

Funny, WBZ doesn't seem to have a problem shoving CBS programming over to WSBK when needed.

Also, WCCO doesn't seem to have any issues breaking in with weather programming as needed- and they don't have a second channel to throw CBS to either...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GodfreyGR said:

Also, WCCO doesn't seem to have any issues breaking in with weather programming as needed- and they don't have a second channel to throw CBS to either...

Interesting!!!  It may also be they did not want to go through all the hassle and steps of preempting network programming and it was easier to just put it on 50.  Also, 50 is still the CW and not officially an independent station yet.  So the situation with WWJ/WKBD would naturally be different than that of its cross country sister stations.  It is what it is.

Edited by CircleWXYZ
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, CircleWXYZ said:

https://www.tvpassport.com/tv-listings/stations/cbs-wwj-detroit-mi/128/2023-09-11

Starting September 11th, CBS News Detroit at 9 am moves to a full hour and a rerun of CBS News Detroit at 11 pm replaces Entertainment Tonight at 1:37 am.  Looks like Family Feud will be the only syndicated program left on WWJ.

What’s happening to Drew Barrymore?

Surprised they haven’t been able to get IE/ET for 7pm hour. 

4 hours ago, TVNewsLover said:

What’s happening to Drew Barrymore?

Surprised they haven’t been able to get IE/ET for 7pm hour. 

Drew Barrymore is moving to sister station WKBD, Detroit 50.

ET has moved to Fox O&O and cross town rival WJBK, Fox 2.

As for the 7pm hour, I highly suspect that the time slot will eventually be for the 7pm  newscast.

Edited by CircleWXYZ
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, CircleWXYZ said:

Drew Barrymore is moving to sister station WKBD, Detroit 50.

ET has moved to Fox O&O and cross town rival WJBK, Fox 2.

As for the 7pm hour, I highly suspect that the time slot will eventually be for the 7pm  newscast.

Actually looks like DB is moving to WDIV to replace Rachel. 

On 8/29/2023 at 4:59 AM, CircleWXYZ said:

https://www.tvpassport.com/tv-listings/stations/cbs-wwj-detroit-mi/128/2023-09-11

Starting September 11th, CBS News Detroit at 9 am moves to a full hour and a rerun of CBS News Detroit at 11 pm replaces Entertainment Tonight at 1:37 am.  Looks like Family Feud will be the only syndicated program left on WWJ.

Actually, Comics Unleashed remains intact following the repeat of the 11 PM newscast, but that will be it for syndicated programming on WWJ.

10 hours ago, TVNewsLover said:

Actually looks like DB is moving to WDIV to replace Rachel. 

She’s on at 3 am on WKBD the last I checked.

edited: it was pulled off the 3 am timeslot.  My mistake!!!

Edited by CircleWXYZ

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, cg41386 said:

Jeff Skversky has left after only a year according to another site.

Yep!  

As for the newscasts, evenings needs help but mornings are great.  Jeff was ok but nothing special.   I feel Terrence is better suited for evenings.

3 hours ago, MichiganNewsGraphicsJunkie said:

I'm surprised Jeff lasted a year.  The way he first came across was "Hey I'm Jeff.. I'm helping to start and then I'm outta here..."

Heard Jeff was difficult to deal with.  He and Shaina didn’t seem to mesh well on the air and it showed.  Unsure of the details but I think the station made the right move.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, newsfanatic said:

They could revamp evenings. I liked (younger) Amyre Makupson WAY more. She and a dynamic male anchor would work very well for evenings. 

Agreed - she’s done a great job anchoring.  Considering her career to this point was Lima Ohio and Macon GA, she’s quite talented.

He was pretty bad as a news anchor. Not to mention, he just looked and sounded completely out of place, disengaged and unfriendly. 

As for the operation as a whole, what a failure

so far. There a few bright spots, but they havent made a mark at all. No one in the market is paying attention to them. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, newsman123 said:

Not to mention, he just looked and sounded completely out of place, disengaged and unfriendly. 

Speculating here, but it seems his heart wasn’t really into the “news anchor” role. He’s very active on social media, and pretty much every post is Philly sports.

Not every sports anchor can seamlessly transition to news.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, newsman123 said:

He was pretty bad as a news anchor. Not to mention, he just looked and sounded completely out of place, disengaged and unfriendly. 

As for the operation as a whole, what a failure

so far. They’re a few bright spots, but they havent made a mark at all. No one in the market is paying attention to them. 

Not a failure.  Ratings are improving.  Still last place unfortunately but improving.  The issue is the evenings and not the mornings.  Looks like they are going to improve the Evenings.  Jeff was a huge reason why the evenings overall was struggling.  

He was not only not connecting to Detroit viewers, he again, was not easy to get along with.

Shaina, Ahmad, and Ronnie have all began to connect with Detroit viewers.  Jeff never did for obvious reasons.  This probably played a huge factor in his firing.

6 hours ago, ttvn2000 said:

Agreed - she’s done a great job anchoring.  Considering her career to this point was Lima Ohio and Macon GA, she’s quite talented.

Amyre has stated she doesn’t want to with behind the anchor desk.  This is why her main role is behind the scenes.  She’s only in the anchor desk when she has to fill in.

Edited by CircleWXYZ
  • Like 1