CBS News Detroit launches

BluesNews

• 2 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, CircleWXYZ said:

Looks like WWJ is adding the logo box.  Thought all channel references are gone lol.

A few thoughts (probably way too many for such a short clip tbh):

1) I don’t know why they would bother promoting a show that airs on Sundays at midnight (assuming this is a promo).

2) If your station’s on channel 62, I’m not sure I would be eager to make that the prominent brand. I get that their station is harder to find for OTA viewers, but using channel 62 as the primary brand sort of makes your station look cheap (as if you’re promoting the fact that your station is hard to reach). It also goes against the whole “streaming first” thing that they had going for them.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Looks like a paid program (which would make sense considering the time) decided to make their own logo, IMO. 

EDIT: Considering the show appears to be a Daystar (Christian broadcaster) program, highly unlikely this is official from WWJ. In fact, I’m a little surprised at the liberal use of the Eyemark. 

Edited by mightynine
  • Like 2

That promo is impressive for a televangelist show. Usually, promos for televangelists are rudimentary with the most basic of promotions.

Whoever is working at Daystar’s promo department needs a raise ASAP if they were able to do the CBS look in-house.

• Like 4

Daystar's YouTube thumbnails are all high quality design work, it wouldn't surprise me if they did that all in-house and WWJ just went with it.

The logo is probably official, because someone had the common sense to refuse to slap anything with the word "News" on this show. Don't get your hopes up that they'll start rolling it out elsewhere... I'd wager this was done specifically to distance this from their news product, regardless of what time it airs.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like WKBD is about to return to the News scene, and their newscasts will be produced by WWJ.

Question is, will their newscasts be called  CBS News Detroit or will it be called WKBD News, powered or streaming on CBS News Detroit??  

Edited by CircleWXYZ
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CircleWXYZ said:

Looks like WKBD is about to return to the News scene, and their newscasts will be produced by WWJ.

Question is, will their newscasts be called  BA News Detroit or will it be called WKBD News, powered or streaming on CBS News Detroit??  

Will 'KBD go against 'JBK and 'MYD in the 10pm news race? That's if their 10pm news returns to TV50.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CircleWXYZ said:

Question is, will their newscasts be called  CBS News Detroit or will it be called WKBD News, powered or streaming on CBS News Detroit??  

They’ll be called CBS News Detroit. WKBD is not KCAL.

Also, don’t be surprised if WKBD simulcasts the 7-9am streaming block of their morning newscast in the fall.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/4/2023 at 9:02 AM, TheNewsTV said:

Does anyone know if there is any prediction of the WWJ launching the weekend newscasts?

They keep saying soon.  The station seems to be preparing the anchors who were hired to do the weekends by filling in for the regulars whenever they are off.  

I’m guessing either late this month or at the same time WKBD is set to go independent, which is on September 1st.

Edited by CircleWXYZ

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/12/2023 at 5:26 AM, CircleWXYZ said:

WKBD is expected to air live newscasts beginning in September.  

This indeed is the case, WKBD will simulcast CBS News Detroit at 7am starting Labor Day. I could see more simulcasts in the weeks to come as the fall season gets underway.CAF692A8-07FF-45B3-A8DD-45C2E7032D1D.thumb.png.117e079d0a12a35efa5d02be0a41c8d1.png

• Sad 1

As for 62’s lack of coverage on last night’s storms, that was a corporate decision that came from NY.  WWJ is a CBS O&O.  This is why storm coverage was on WKBD.

The ND at both stations is doing a great job.  Just dealing with short sided folks at corporate that’s all.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, CircleWXYZ said:

As for 62’s lack of coverage on last night’s storms, that was a corporate decision that came from NY.  WWJ is a CBS O&O.  This is why storm coverage was on WKBD.

The ND at both stations is doing a great job.  Just dealing with short sided folks at corporate that’s all.

Just curious, how do you know that this was a corporate decision? It’s not like they were airing national preseason football last night. To me there’s no reason they couldn’t break into programming on both channels. It happens in Oklahoma, for example, all the time. Just saying.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, nycnewsjunkie said:

Just curious, how do you know that this was a corporate decision? It’s not like they were airing national preseason football last night. To me there’s no reason they couldn’t break into programming on both channels. It happens in Oklahoma, for example, all the time. Just saying.

Have my sources.  Again, it was just weird.  If it was up to the ND, it would’ve been on both stations.  It was just on the soon to be independent station, WKBD.

Edited by CircleWXYZ
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, CircleWXYZ said:

Have my sources.  Again, it was just weird.  If it was up to the ND, it would’ve been on both stations.

How are their numbers doing?

Storm coverage should've been on channel 62 and not just channel 50 both should've been wall to wall for the tornados on the east side of the state. Someone should be fired in my opinion. That is a big mistake and epic fail how can anyone take CBS Detroit seriously when they dropped the ball on Thur Night. In West Michigan Wood TV, WXMI Fox17 & WZZM went wall to wall on the tornado in Kent County WWMT didn't cut-in I believe I guess they feel that they be in dead last only watch CBS programming in that area not the news from them. It's like WZZM for Kazoo/BC don't care about them even know they do show us bottom row on their map cut the MI/IN broader counties 20 years ago.

• Sad 1

On 6/19/2023 at 2:01 PM, nycnewsjunkie said:

A few thoughts (probably way too many for such a short clip tbh):

2) If your station’s on channel 62, I’m not sure I would be eager to make that the prominent brand. I get that their station is harder to find for OTA viewers, but using channel 62 as the primary brand sort of makes your station look cheap (as if you’re promoting the fact that your station is hard to reach). It also goes against the whole “streaming first” thing that they had going for them.

I would reference a 62 just for traditional viewers to be able to find the station. 

Yes, 62 is not the 'sexiest' number for a channel brand...but it's unique.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Megatron81 said:

Storm coverage should've been on channel 62 and not just channel 50 both should've been wall to wall for the tornados on the east side of the state. Someone should be fired in my opinion. That is a big mistake and epic fail how can anyone take CBS Detroit seriously when they dropped the ball on Thur Night. In West Michigan Wood TV, WXMI Fox17 & WZZM went wall to wall on the tornado in Kent County WWMT didn't cut-in I believe I guess they feel that they be in dead last only watch CBS programming in that area not the news from them. It's like WZZM for Kazoo/BC don't care about them even know they do show us bottom row on their map cut the MI/IN broader counties 20 years ago.

it was corporate who made thar decision, not the ND or the GM.  They didn’t want CBS programming preempted so it went to 50.  Given 50 is no longer the CW and is now independent, it makes sense.  Remember, 62 is a network O&O so it makes sense.  The others you mentioned are not network O&O stations.  You have to go through a lot of steps to get network programming preempted when you are an O&O.

50 who is also CBS (well owned by CBS) did a great job.

• Like 3