CBS News Detroit launches

BluesNews

11 hours ago, MichiganNewsGraphicsJunkie said:

After watching all of the newscasts for the past month or so, I will agree that this is a refreshing take on the local news.  Yes they still have some flaws/kinks/etc to work out, but overall a very solid local news content.  

Overall the feedback seems to be positive.  However, you have some crybabies from a particular site I shall keep nameless, who are not only refusing to give CBS News Detroit a fair chance, they are looking for any lame excuse to bash it.  It’s like they don’t want to like it.  Their complaints about it are so delusional and so ridiculous, it’s not even funny.  I know there are 2,4, and 7 fanboys in the Detroit market, but my goodness.

This is why I left that site, because all they do is whine and complain.  With each argument, they lose credibility.

4 hours ago, CircleWXYZ said:

Overall the feedback seems to be positive.  However, you have some crybabies from a particular site I shall keep nameless, who are not only refusing to give CBS News Detroit a fair chance, they are looking for any lame excuse to bash it.  It’s like they don’t want to like it.  Their complaints about it are so delusional and so ridiculous, it’s not even funny.  I know there are 2,4, and 7 fanboys in the Detroit market, but my goodness.

This is why I left that site, because all they do is whine and complain.  With each argument, they lose credibility.

Let me guess: Starts with a "t", ends with an "r", and normally has a blue bird in its logo?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Recently talked with some with the station and the ratings for WWJ are improving each week. Though it’s obviously in 4th place, the fact that ratings are growing each week and growing this fast is a great sign for things to come.  This is what happens when you have a great product on the air.  Keep up the good work, CBS News Detroit.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, CircleWXYZ said:

Recently talked with some with the station and the ratings for WWJ are improving each week. Though it’s obviously in 4th place, the fact that ratings are growing each week and growing this fast is a great sign for things to come.  This is what happens when you have a great product on the air.  Keep up the good work, CBS News Detroit.

Growing fast by what sort of measure? If it’s 0.2 to 0.4 that’s not exactly celebration worthy…

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CircleWXYZ said:

I suggest you contact the powers that be.  Just relaying information.

So you didn’t ask the $64 question about how well it’s really doing? 

Edited by ns8401
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CircleWXYZ said:

I suggest you contact the powers that be.  Just relaying information.

I don’t mean to sound like a jerk, but the station is not going to tell you or me if the ratings are not what they want it to be. As far as having a “great product”…I guess it’s good for what it is, and I’m glad CBS is finally making an effort after decades of nothing, but let’s not pretend they’re surging in the ratings if we don’t know the full extent of their ratings growth.

That said, they expanded their newscasts quickly despite a delayed launch, and if they are seeing consistent and significant improvement, good for them.

Edited by nycnewsjunkie
  • Like 5

Since CBS is taking their local news channels to the digital realm, the opportunity for viewership is much greater than if it was just a TV station. 

Many of the viewers are probably going to be coming this way, and because of their investment in this, it makes sense to put it on TV as a side-effect...to provide a valuable service once and for all for the long-beleaguered "CBS Detroit"  

Basically, any TV viewership is likely going to be eclipsed by "impressions" or hits on the digital side of things.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, nycnewsjunkie said:

I don’t mean to sound like a jerk, but the station is not going to tell you or me if the ratings are not what they want it to be. As far as having a “great product”…I guess it’s good for what it is, and I’m glad CBS is finally making an effort after decades of nothing, but let’s not pretend they’re surging in the ratings if we don’t know the full extent of their ratings growth.

That said, they expanded their newscasts quickly despite a delayed launch, and if they are seeing consistent and significant improvement, good for them.

It’s all good.  Can’t say what the exact numbers are, but again, I’m going by what I was told from someone who actually works there and is a well known on the air personality.  The fact that they expanded so quickly is what’s most surprising, especially to the local competitors. This isn’t even all that I’ve heard but from the looks of it, CBS is heavily invested in Detroit news.  

9 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Since CBS is taking their local news channels to the digital realm, the opportunity for viewership is much greater than if it was just a TV station. 

Many of the viewers are probably going to be coming this way, and because of their investment in this, it makes sense to put it on TV as a side-effect...to provide a valuable service once and for all for the long-beleaguered "CBS Detroit"  

Basically, any TV viewership is likely going to be eclipsed by "impressions" or hits on the digital side of things.

Agreed!!!

Edited by CircleWXYZ
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

That’s a really good point; CBS does provide the best/easiest way to access their local newscasts digitally, especially compared to the other stations in the market. I wish ratings companies would take digital impressions into account; viewers are viewers at the end of the day, and it shouldn’t matter where they’re watching.

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Don’t know about you but I think WKBD going independent is going to benefit the station.  Not only can CBS News Detroit expand which will only mean more advertising revenue for the station, WKBD can go back to its roots, which is to do OTA live sports again.  I for one am excited.

Looks like CBS is putting a lot of money into WWJ which only helps its sister station.

• Like 6

15 hours ago, CircleWXYZ said:

Also, would WWJ dare go to the call letter box, following KDKA, WBZ, etc?   I didn’t think so a month ago but now, I don’t know.

I don’t think they will use call sign as branding. It’s a new news operation and they don’t think people will recognize it from call signs.

Edited by LTSC1980
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 5/18/2023 at 3:45 PM, CircleWXYZ said:

Also, would WWJ dare go to the call letter box, following KDKA, WBZ, etc?   I didn’t think so a month ago but now, I don’t know.

WXYZ can get away with that with no station slogan and the alternating designations WXYZ, 7 and Channel 7 used interchangeably in their advertising. They’ve been using those three as their main branding since the 1970’s and maybe longer.

CBS has the problem of it being too new and sharing call letters with WWJ 950AM… they already brand themselves starting with WWJ. So this is very unlikely.

Edited by ns8401
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, CircleWXYZ said:

They just finished hiring all the spots for the weekend newscasts.  They are supposed to debut this summer.  Heard this from a couple of people who are involved with the station.

Have they caught 20 yet? I kinda have my doubts…

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ns8401 said:

Have they caught 20 yet? I kinda have my doubts…

This is about the debut of the weekend newscasts.  I was told this from someone who works at the station.  It’s this summer.  They already have the anchors for the weekends.  Summer  was their target date a month and a half ago.

Have no idea about the ratings.  

Last I’ve heard, ratings were improving each week.  Again, I heard this a month and a half ago.

Edited by CircleWXYZ