CBS News Detroit launches

BluesNews

One more thing. I have four TVs in my house and none of them are smart tvs. One has a Roku box, another one is a small kitchen TV, and two tube tvs, one in the office and one in my garage. Three of those four TVs are exclusively OTA.

Edited by DirtyHarry

I think it's necessary to reference @Myron Falwell's post from the KCAL thread as it's extremely relevant to the ongoing channel number discussion. Long story short, look at Birmingham's WBMA, which brands as "ABC 33/40". It has not transmitted on the Channel 33 satellite since 2014, and is now regulated to the .2 on 40. WBMA's own low-power signal was on 58, which is also what their Virtual Channel is, but they didn't brand with any mention of 58 at all. What they do have is this mess, none of which have anything to do with the 33 in their brand, and 

image.png.cea0e5ae9f12e7f4b438291ba6abb4fd.png

And yet everyone still figures out where to watch James Spann when there's a tornado.

In the words of one of our favorite media bloggers: JUST SAYING...

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

There is one roundabout tie to channel 33 in the 33/40 gaggle of frequencies.

WSES (the former WCFT "33") on actual channel 36 and virtual channel 33 is one of the ATSC 3.0 stations serving Birmingham and Tuscaloosa, and it carries the 17.2 feed of 58.1 in 3.0.  

So.....yeah.

Then again, for damaged goods like WWJ, best to simulcast a streaming service called "CBS Detroit" as opposed to starting a news department on CBS 62.   Maybe the 62 carries a little extra baggage because of the movie UHF?   

But moreso by the desperate moves to keep CBS in Detroit at the time, even preparing to pipe in adjacent affiliates and resulting in ABC buying stations in Toledo and Flint at the time because of the fear of losing WXYZ (which never happened)

If you think about it, the fear of WXYZ going CBS really set the ball rolling for a lot of the secondary affiliation switches because of the Fox/New World deal.  That forced Scripps to go all in with ABC, which caused Westinghouse to go all in with CBS, which caused the swap in Philadelphia, and so on....

Edited by tyrannical bastard
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Georgie56 said:

Amyre Makupson made her debut on the 6pm filling in for Shaina Humphries (who co-hosted The Talk out in LA today). 

Her mother Amyre Sr. also appeared at the end of the 6pm half-hour.

Amyre Sr. and Amyre Jr. - Like Mother, Like Daughter.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

On the second week of its debut, 62 has launched the 5pm hour tonight. 

Rachelle Graham & Terrance Friday are anchoring the hour.

4pm might not be far off at this rate, which would match up with their intended launch plans (after considerable revision). 

One thing I’m legitimately surprised about is WWJ running Entertainment Tonight at 1:35 a.m. … why not at 7:30 p.m.??

2 hours ago, Georgie56 said:

Amyre Makupson made her debut on the 6pm filling in for Shaina Humphries (who co-hosted The Talk out in LA today). 

Amyre Sr. got her big break in 1975 as one of the first anchors for WGPR-TV’s Big City News, so it really does come full circle.

Edited by Myron Falwell
  • Like 3

19 hours ago, Weeters said:

I think it's necessary to reference @Myron Falwell's post from the KCAL thread as it's extremely relevant to the ongoing channel number discussion. Long story short, look at Birmingham's WBMA, which brands as "ABC 33/40". It has not transmitted on the Channel 33 satellite since 2014, and is now regulated to the .2 on 40. WBMA's own low-power signal was on 58, which is also what their Virtual Channel is, but they didn't brand with any mention of 58 at all. What they do have is this mess, none of which have anything to do with the 33 in their brand, and 

image.png.cea0e5ae9f12e7f4b438291ba6abb4fd.png

And yet everyone still figures out where to watch James Spann when there's a tornado.

In the words of one of our favorite media bloggers: JUST SAYING...

Playing devil's advocate, maybe that's why they wanted to keep virtual channel 3 so badly in Las Vegas!

FCC 10179_Page_1.jpg

1 hour ago, Georgie56 said:

The entire 7pm streaming hour today was a WGPR/WKBD reunion, with Amyre Jr. interviewing her mother and former director Ken Bryant.

Is the mother white or black? Her dialect is kind of black but she doesn't really look it at all. Just curious, no ill intent.

Edited by DirtyHarry

11 hours ago, DirtyHarry said:

Playing devil's advocate, maybe that's why they wanted to keep virtual channel 3 so badly in Las Vegas!

FCC 10179_Page_1.jpg

Apples and oranges. Sinclair could not legally keep either the 33 or 40 of “ABC 33/40” and if they filed such a request to claim VC 33 or 40 in the present day, it would be rejected.

And AGAIN, people have no trouble finding James Spann when there’s a tornado and he rolls up his sleeves.

• Like 3

On 1/30/2023 at 6:22 PM, Georgie56 said:

After watching the newscasts, I feel Amyre and Jeff are a much better anchor team.

13 minutes ago, abric said:

After watching the newscasts, I feel Amyre and Jeff are a much better anchor team.

I also like Amyre as an anchor - I remember her time at WLIO in Lima.  Plus, she clearly has a Detroit connection.

I hope she continues to have a role as primary fill-in - even after (presumably - I’m speculating) Sandra Ali joins from WDIV. 

1 hour ago, abric said:

I guess so since they have introduced a new anchor filling in for Jeff tonight, Kris Laudien from KARE-TV in Minneapolis, MN.

That would be news as Kris just left KARE 11 all together. Seems he may have landed a lot quicker than most thought he would, good for Kris.

https://bringmethenews.com/minnesota-lifestyle/kris-laudien-leaving-kare-11-after-four-years-on-sunrise

3 hours ago, TheNewsTV said:

They're doing a 7pm edit as well, with Shaina Humphries.

723784533_CBSNewsDetroit02-0121-23-34.thumb.png.f5c9b3d5f24c0325f2b31d89e52a5393.png1961852954_CBSNewsDetroit02-0121-24-00.thumb.png.c10673335f785b6160307161f8f484f8.png

That’s currently streaming-only but the legal ID tag suggests it might be added very soon.

Their 4pm news launches next Monday. With The Drew Barrymore Show’s modular setup, the other half will be moved to 9:30 a.m.

567471E1-36C6-4DB9-951E-738B93DB159D.thumb.png.768b4f84623a4cfdd2cedccd2c4eccda.png

Also I’m watching the stream and they’ve added Detroit Now on WKBD…

8 hours ago, abric said:

I saw they want to get the full news schedule in place by March.

They might not be THAT quick—mornings feel like it’ll fall in place by May at the latest—but they’re building this out at a rather steady pace and experimenting with likely talent pairings.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Myron Falwell said:

They might not be THAT quick—mornings feel like it’ll fall in place by May at the latest—but they’re building this out at a rather steady pace and experimenting with likely talent pairings.

It’s a staggered approach then launching all newscast like station in 1995 with new news departments did. They trying to be new kids on the block but hitting the ground running, try to catch up with the pace of the D.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RaleighTVBOI1 said:

It’s a staggered approach then launching all newscast like station in 1995 with new news departments did. They trying to be new kids on the block but hitting the ground running, try to catch up with the pace of the D.

Having recently done extensive research into the histories of a number of the biggest post-New World station builds, they mostly were staggered over a period of months.

KSHB had an existing 9pm news which moved to 10 at the time of switch. A 5 was added in October 1994, a 6 in March 1995, but mornings had to wait until the summer of 1996.

WDJT added two newscasts at the same time in its March 1996 news debut and then a third shortly thereafter. Weekend news was added the next year. Took them until 2001 to compete in mornings.

KNXV started news at 10 on August 1, 1994. They added a 6 in about October, 5 in December, and mornings and middays in January 1995 when the remainder of the ABC programming moved over.

WFTS aired its first news on December 12, 1994, but only at 6 and 11. The remaining newscasts showed up in the first four months of 1995.

WGNX was not like many of the others. They were not producing a full line of newscasts until the new millennium: just noon, 6, and 11. It was not until Meredith took over that they added morning and 5 p.m. newscasts.

WPTY went in all at once in evenings. When they debuted, they had 5, 6, 9 (WLMT) and 10. It took them at LEAST a decade to start a morning newscast!

WWJ started with 6 and 11 (not including streaming hours) and has added a newscast in each of the two following weeks. Mornings do seem like they will take a little longer, and I'd expect that because of the time slot. Evening news additions tend to be more incremental, while mornings require a whole other team of on- and off-camera personnel.

• Like 7