More trouble at CBS

CircleWXYZ

Honestly, none of this is surprising. Bosses, regardless of the industry, are often jerks and Khemlani is no different. Morale has long been a problem at CBS News so it will take a significant amount of time for that to improve and constantly cutting resources/people only slows that process.

Since his contract expires next year and baring any ‘serious’ allegations, my guess is that he survives this and retires. There doesn't appear to be enough currently to justify dismissal. 

Edited by jase
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, jase said:

Since his contract expires next year and baring any more serious allegations, my guess is that he survives this and retires. There doesn't appear to be enough currently to justify dismissal. 

He's 50-ish, so he'll probably become some other company's problem down the line. He'll likely get hush money since his behavior is incredibly toxic (the 'speaking to employees without sarcasm' item is pretty much so many toxic bosses), but there's a reason we remember "Chainsaw Al" Dunlap, George Pullman, and a certain Twitter head while the good executives are only mentioned in business classes.

4 minutes ago, CLETVFan said:

It seemed like he wanted to get rid of Norah O'Donnell so badly, but was overruled.  That alone is a red flag.  I will say that I am not sure Brian Williams would have boosted ratings for the Evening News.

I would've given BW a chance, but what about Shepard Smith?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, CLETVFan said:

It seemed like he wanted to get rid of Norah O'Donnell so badly, but was overruled.  That alone is a red flag.  I will say that I am not sure Brian Williams would have boosted ratings for the Evening News.

Brian Williams would have been a complete turn-off, and not just because of his exaggerated war stories. His MSNBC newscast was a poorly disguised opinion show, and that doesn’t translate well to the evening news. I’m not really sure why people ever considered him to be a viable option. If Khemlani was considering him, that’s poor judgment on his part.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, CircleWXYZ said:

This story is from the Murdoch-owned New York Post. Unfortunately the Post’s track record is such that it merits scrutiny as much as the subject matter itself.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Myron Falwell said:

This story is from the Murdoch-owned New York Post. Unfortunately the Post’s track record is such that it merits scrutiny as much as the subject matter itself.

But it shouldn't be dismissed either. The LA Times piece about KYW is a good reminder about it too. The Post may be doing a hit piece on Khemlani and CBS, but it doesn't deny the fact that CBS is always one step forward and one step backwards at the same time.

• Like 2

While I wouldn't want to work for someone with his style, the investigation sounds like the result of "morale" excuses on the part of those resistant to change. CBS News rank and file are deeply set in their ways and tend to be on the more hostile side to management. 

Edited by sfomspphl
  • Like 2

On 1/14/2023 at 10:23 AM, Amra said:

But it shouldn't be dismissed either. The LA Times piece about KYW is a good reminder about it too. The Post may be doing a hit piece on Khemlani and CBS, but it doesn't deny the fact that CBS is always one step forward and one step backwards at the same time.

I don’t think anyone is dismissing this but rather pointing out that this really isn’t that big of a deal.

He was given the mandate to cut costs, so I can understand him questioning certain things. Norah shouldn’t be making (nor should anyone else) $7+ mil. a year. There should be some shared sacrifice taking place.

Plus, it’s important to note that corrective action is taking place which didn’t happen with the previous CBS News/O&O regime until serious damage was done.

Edited by jase
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Amra said:

That’s exactly the problem. The Post has an extremely polemic reputation as a right-leaning paper, and Fox News has pushed an anti-CBS agenda dating back to Bernard Goldberg’s falling out with the network a generation ago.

So even if there’s a possibility it might be true, there’s also a good chance people will dismiss it as little more than a hit piece.

Edited by Myron Falwell
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There’s been rumors for awhile now that it’s been toxic inside CBS news so the ny post story isn’t shouldn’t be a total surprise. With cbs’s ratings trouble they likely won’t bother to renew Khemlani contract or even pushed him out before it expires. 

• Like 1

• 6 months later...