KCAL New Set

Media_1904

2 hours ago, MichiganNewsGraphicsJunkie said:

The only thing that would make this absolutely perfect is to nix the CBS eye elements, especially the floor beneath the anchor desk.. If you want to be an "independent" station,  you need to look like one -- regardless of being owned by an O&O... 

Who says that they want to be an independent station, still? Doesn't look like it. And why do you NEED to look like one? That's a rule? 

• Like 3

On 1/4/2023 at 10:50 AM, sfomspphl said:

Very "LA" response to KTLA - reminds me of an Entertainment Tonight set

Definitely not very LA. The KTLA set (created by JHD Group) does a great job of using vertical space, though they did borrow heavily from the NFL Network West set (created by Jack Morton, as well). This set, on the other hand feels very traditional and dark. That's definitely not the feel of LA. Also because of it's heavy use of wood tones, I have to wonder how it's going to age.

• Sad 1

I like the scenic view videos used for the backgrounds. It seems risky to have a moving shot blown up behind the anchors, but it's very subtle and smooth and looks really nice. Perhaps it would look even better if there were some more graphical overlays. (Looked like the morning had more eye elements but at night it was just the KCAL News square, I think.)

• Like 2

Maybe I’m in the minority, but the assignment desk is growing on me. Yes, I’m well aware that it’s a gimmick, and I normally hate gimmicks, but it’s nice to see the curtain peeled back a tiny bit on the news gathering process, and it’s nice to see the assignment editors get some screen time. Also, I’ll credit them for doing something a little bit different to the rest of the market instead of putting a new coat of paint on an identical product.

• Like 6

20 hours ago, kshow said:

Who says that they want to be an independent station, still? Doesn't look like it. And why do you NEED to look like one? That's a rule? 

Ummmm no... but... if you want to brand KCAL is it's own brand, get rid of the CBS eyes and make it your own damn station... too bad they went to call letters... they might as well be KCBS 2/9...  if I were watching this newscast, and I didn't know any better, I'd be scratching my head and go "am I watching a CBS newscast or another newscast?" .. I'm not saying it's a rule.. but if you're going to brand yourself differently, don't include the damn CBS crud evereywhere... it's pointless, tacky, and just stupid... 

• Like 3

On 1/4/2023 at 11:30 AM, Media_1904 said:

New Set designed by Jack Morton

00CDD8BE-8665-4225-95AA-23937B82C796.png

26D2229D-524D-478C-B727-D2517D178069.jpeg

A9B423B6-DBC1-42F7-8FB9-FA725346235D.png

12D1260A-2268-4141-9E6C-47E1B65791A6.png

F39ACCEC-E52E-4309-BA1C-88AD655051F3.png

This set is perhaps the most redeeming thing about the current rebrand debacle. Simply marvelous. Good to see them and KTLA got it right!

I hope CBS doesnt get rid of the couch sitting area they have in multiple markets. It very physical and detailed.

DD0778AB-7B3A-4248-BCAB-8C5C76BECED0.jpeg

Edited by iron_lion
  • Like 1