Barbara Walters (1929-2022)

TheRob

10 minutes ago, iron_lion said:

I had seen a rhumor about her health this week and I feared the eventual was coming. RIP to one of the most trail blazing female journalists in television.

She's been really private since 2016 as her last ABC news and possibly public appearance was her contributing to Nancy Reagan's funeral. I've seen speculation that she's been dealing with Dementia or Alzheimer's for several years now. Tuesday's show will be dedicated to her I bet.

Edited by WeatherandTraffic
Grammar error
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, WeatherandTraffic said:

She's been really private since 2016 as her last ABC news and possibly public appearance was her contributing to Nancy Reagan's funeral. I've seen speculation that she's been dealing with Dementia or Alzheimer's for several years now. Tuesday's show will be dedicated to her I bet.

Despite the rhumors, I didnt think she'd literally pass just days later😢

11 minutes ago, iron_lion said:

Despite the rhumors, I didnt think she'd literally pass just days later😢

I had seen rumors she was battling dementia some years ago. I’m guessing there were more serious reports on her health the last several days? Several people have referenced reports that this was coming.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TexasTVNews said:

Reynolds... Robinson... Jennings... Brinkley... Smith... Reasoner... K. Smith... Downs... and now Walters. The Mt. Rushmore of ABC News. RIP Barbara and Godspeed. You memory and your legacy will live on in spirit.

image.png.4105b5a94b8229decdf1248ce819e2e2.png

Mt. Rushmore indeed!

As the saying goes, cherish our legends while we still have them. That's why Im greatful we still get Ted Koppel's work on CBS Sunday Morning as well as occasional specials from Diane Sawyer on ABC.

Edited by iron_lion
  • Like 2

Barbara really was a trailblazer.  She paved way for everyone to come after her, and her legacy continues to last on both NBC and ABC.

I think whatever tribute The View will pay should last more than one day.  I have a feeling that show will have a Barbara feature one day throughout the year.

• Like 2

A retrospective on her life and career:

https://www.ideastream.org/npr-news/2022-12-30/trailblazing-journalist-barbara-walters-has-died-at-93

She was the product of an era in which many of us on here are so removed from and will never be able to fully understand (none of us were around to experience the Great Depression or WWII), which makes one appreciate her body of work even moreso when understanding the context. 93 years and a treasure trove of glass-ceiling-shattering accomplishments. Much respect.

Edited by Myron Falwell
  • Like 6

Trailblazer is the word for Barbara Walters. She was one of the first female anchors on a major network, and then went into the newsmagazine genre with 20/20, Hugh Downs by her side most of those years. We saw the lighter side of DOZENS of celebrities and politicians because of Barbara's interviews and specials (that always aired after the Oscars). Trust me, it's not just people in the news industry mourning her loss - it's movie actors, actresses, and TV stars too.

May she FOREVER RIP. She is now forever with Hugh Downs in heaven, along with her family, friends, and colleagues. 😢

• Like 4

Connie Chung remembers Barbara. Connie pointed out the similarities between them especially the part about them both anchoring the evening news with "men who despised them". Barbara with Harry Reasoner and Connie with Dan Rather, both troubled pairings only lasting 2 years.

Edited by iron_lion
  • Like 3