NBC Updates the Peacock.

Superdude

How does NBC treat any change of an affiliate, or an affiliate changing its logo?

When WPMI switched from "Local 15" to "NBC 15", they used the current peacock with the NBC wordmark at the time.

I just wonder if any affiliates' subsequent logo has to include the new NBC peacock with wordmark along with it.

5 hours ago, bmasters1 said:

Something I'd like to know-- why is it called a "curtain raiser"? Is it because it's akin to raising the curtains at a big play, and on with the show, as they say?

Exactly that; you're being transferred from the local station over to the network feed, where the curtain is being raised on both the network programming, and then a presentation produced by the network itself in that show. It's the same reason it originated even in the days of radio where you had 'The National Broadcasting Company presents...' lead into a show.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, mrschimpf said:

Exactly that; you're being transferred from the local station over to the network feed, where the curtain is being raised on both the network programming, and then a presentation produced by the network itself in that show. It's the same reason it originated even in the days of radio where you had 'The National Broadcasting Company presents...' lead into a show.

That explains it-- movie theaters used to do that as well (raise the curtains to get to the feature that one was seeing); not sure they do that anymore.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/6/2023 at 6:29 AM, kfc513 said:

Actually, there might be some hope on that: During telecasts of the NFL Playoffs, the bug on the top right corner was refreshed. And it looks like the new peacock design, but with a white border added; so there may be some applications where the border will stay intact.

NBC-Sports-New-Bug.thumb.png.c14280c74903e279e2ed57e0fa9ef45c.png

Kentucky Derby and USFL have been using the new logo as a bug. Sticks out like a sore thumb on the default graphics too

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

On 5/7/2023 at 11:38 PM, Viper550 said:

Kentucky Derby and USFL have been using the new logo as a bug. Sticks out like a sore thumb on the default graphics too

Some of those feathers were hard to make out when watching their one-off simulcast of Sunday Leadoff. It's easy to lose sight of that green one, for instance, when looking at the outfield. You'd run into a similar problem if they continue pace during the non-SNF football games, let alone that and Notre Dame + B1G football this upcoming season.

8UVlooK.png

In my opinion, if they want to use this new "logo" like this during sports, it needs, at minimum, a somewhat-transparent background. CBS did that with their sports bugs last year after making a similar mistake coming out of Super Bowl LV.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

It's been over half a year into the rebrand and these are the only stations using the new logo so far.

KOMU8Logo2023.png.d01e58d64024f1c444e8e57c0237f5ee.png

ezgif.com-gif-maker.png.41779ce515584c150539385986fa8f7f.png.5bc4ea6a631e94c64a17fae1a0cfe861.png

KSNF_16_2023.thumb.png.483ac7b9de903015d6b5eb0502d0fb5e.png

Edited by kfc513
Severe research failure: I thought KOMU was only one.

NBC has used the "curtain raiser" before; in the '50s it used a camera and the words "NBC Television Presents."  By the early '60s that was changed to the NBC "snake" logo and "NBC Presents."

As for the "Eyewitness"/"Action" branding, yes, some stations could use a name change: WSB has had "Action News" since I was in college in the '70s. Its sister stations in Charlotte and Orlando have had "Eyewitness News" since I was in high school.  But I can imagine the fuss, especially in Atlanta, if the names were changed; it would be comparable to WXIA's attempt to drop "11 Alive."  And besides, can you imagine (if you live in New York, Los Angeles, or Chicago) not having "ABC7 Eyewitness News"?

op

.='[

• Thanks 1

• 7 months later...